Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The spectator vs Marcus rashford

https://sunbeamsoutofcucumbers.subst...that-spectator

I'm sure there's a more appropriate thread, but I'm laughing too hard to find it.

Why didn't they print it?

Posted in the Euro thread,

yes it's mindblowing. Very funny

Comment

https://twitter.com/tom_usher_/status/1423323817259290628

a fair point.

Comment

Not really. She made up a load of obviously incredible stuff about a load of people, but they were only interested in him. The only distress this would have been likely to cause to marcus rashford would be in deciding which charity to give his record breaking libel settlement to. These people were going to be telling lies about him anyway. It would have been the end of the spectator if they'd printed it. All it's really done is expose his enemies for what they are.

Comment

We also of course only have her word for it that this actually happened, though there seem to be a lot of people on Twitter who claim experience of working with the Spectator and/or members of its current editorial team who believe the story.

Comment

Her extensive quoting from emails etc strikes me as being designed to let them know that she has kept the receipts

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
              We also of course only have her word for it that this actually happened, though there seem to be a lot of people on Twitter who claim experience of working with the Spectator and/or members of its current editorial team who believe the story.
              If it's not truthful, it's the truthiest story I've ever heard. It's like the hitler diaries with idiots. I would think though that the extensive quoting is for our benefit rather than the spectator, given that they know exactly what they emailed to her and when, and exactly how many different versions of the article they sent her.

I'd love to know why they didn't print it in the end. At what point did they show this to someone outside their frantic groupthink circle jerk? I just really wish they'd gone ahead with printing it.

The funniest bit about it isn't fraser Nelson banging on about how they would have figured out if she wasn't on the level, it's that they themselves edited the most ridiculous parts of the story out, on the grounds that they were too incredible. What were they thinking?

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                Her extensive quoting from emails etc strikes me as being designed to let them know that she has kept the receipts
                Yes absolutely. And I presume she wouldn't have put it up for fear of legal action if it weren't true and provable. It's just that so much of it seems so basically idiotic.

Comment

Welcome to the Culture Wars

Comment

Haha

Comment

Working...
                    X