Smoking poll - the 2012 election happy ending

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nah. Those are low-blows. I say stick with the unsubstantiated stuff about his taxes.

Comment

Anton Gramski wrote: Apparently I have no memory of either 1996 or 2000.
      Does anyone have any memory of 1996?

I'd guess I take an above-average interest in US Presidential elections, can remember back to 1972 (didn't know what it was about, but a "landslide" sounded fun), first really paid attention in 1980, and continued ever since.

But whereas every other election has something burned on the memory, substantial (Florida 2000) or not (Dukakis in a tank), for 1996 ... there's a blur. Quick quiz for non-Americans: who was Dole's running mate? OK, you probably know, but how many of us have to think about it?

I wasn't up the Amazon or in a coma, I was a bit busy in real life but not ignoring the media, and yet the election campaign seems to have passed me by. Just me?

Comment

tee rex wrote: Does anyone have any memory of 1996?
        I remember Bob Dole falling off the stage at one of his rallies.

Comment

I remember the primaries a lot better than I remember the general. I remember Buchanan being taken seriously for awhile, and I remember there being a lot of interest in a Colin Powell candidacy. And something about Clinton's pollster sucking a prostitute's toes. After that, it gets blurry.

Comment

Dole was a RINO at the time, there's a story (perhaps apocryphal) of Goldwater and himself having a chuckle over being right-wing nutbags in 1964 and being moderate Republicans in 1996.

That's the catch-22 of complaining too much about Obama from a center-left/left perspective. Richard Nixon is arguably to the left of Obama now, but Mitt Romney is so right-wing freakazoid compared to the liberal consensus Republicans of the 60s like Everett Dirksen and Ed Brooke that there is no upside to being snippy over Obama's politics, there's just far too much at stake to trust the country to a Republican ever again.

I feel people's pain, because the idea of a second Roosevelt with all of his ideas seems to be fading into the distance. But the other side is the bogeyman, literally.

Comment

1960 was the first US election I have any memories of. I vaguely recall discussion of Kennedy's Catholicism at school. Which, in my mind, connected the election in some unexplained way with the Tudors and Stuarts.

'64 is much clearer. And, yes, in the UK Goldwater was viewed as a raving loony who would lead us all over the edge of the nuclear precipice. But he wasn't going to win so "don't worry." The conventions were shown on TV — only recorded clips of course. They seemed bat-shit crazy events with straw boaters flying everywhere. I saw Walter Cronkite for the first time when the Republican show took place at the Cow Palace in San Francisco. The concept of cattle living in a palace was fascinating. Sadly, the reality left something to be desired.

Comment

Hey buddy, you are walking on very thin ice talking crap about the Cow Palace. Them's fightin' words where I come from.

An ECHL team is moving in there soon. It's a great place to watch hockey, like an imitation O6 arena. You can imagine the cloud of cigar smoke when you're inside there.

The Seals would have survived much longer than they did had they not left it for Oakland.

Comment

Ha, ha!

I just thought it was a neat concept, so totally un-English, except maybe in a bizarre 19th century children's story.

Comment

Amor de Cosmos wrote: Ha, ha!

I just thought it was a neat concept, so totally un-English, except maybe in a bizarre 19th century children's story.
                    And just two miles down the road is Candlestick Park, which is a name straight out of a Lewis Carroll story.

Comment

I had to look up Dole's running mate. Jack Kemp, apparently.

I liked that bit where he told George Bush Snr to stop lying about his record.

Comment

Sorry to jump ahead, but I've just been reading speculation about who may run in 2016.

I'd be interested to hear from folk on here about who they may think may run, if only so I can persist with my football transfer rumours approach to every day life.

From reading a few articles, the early suggestions include Hillary (would be 69 by time of election), Martin O'Malley (governor of Maryland, former mayor of Baltimore) and Andrew Cuomo (governor of New York) for the Democrats and Santorum, Bobby Jindal (governor of Louisiana), Jeb Bush (former governor of Florida) and Marco Rubio (senator for Florida).

(This article, from a South African newspaper, has a fairly comprehensive list of possible candidates)

Comment

Given the rumblings of Revolution from both sides should the other side win, there may very well be no 2016 "election". Early doors indeed.

Comment

JM Footzee wrote: Martin O'Malley (governor of Maryland, former mayor of Baltimore)
                            No fucking way! President Carcetti? Seriously?

Comment

Anton Gramski wrote:
                              Originally posted by JM Footzee
                              Martin O'Malley (governor of Maryland, former mayor of Baltimore)
                              No fucking way! President Carcetti? Seriously?
                              Way. Very much way. IF, and this is the current rumor, he doesn't go for Barbara Mikulski's Senate seat if she packs it in after the current term as a further stepping stone.

But yes. Martin O'Malley wants to be President very very VERY badly, and has been positioning himself for that since, oh, forever.

Comment

jefe wrote: But yes. Martin O'Malley wants to be President very very VERY badly, and has been positioning himself for that since, oh, forever.
                                I've never heard of him till now. (Not saying you're wrong, but just that his name recognition outside of Maryland is pretty low, I'd guess.)

For the Republicans, Marco Rubio will certainly run, which is why, I think, he (wisely) declined to be Romney's VP candidate.

Pretty weak field for the Democrats, unless Hillary runs.

Comment

I'm similarly situated to Renart.

Chris Christie will also run for the Republicans, as further evidenced by his people leaking the story that he turned down Romney's offer of the VP slot.

I don't have a clue who will fill the Palin/Bachmann role next time around, but am sure that they will find someone.

Comment

will chris christie even be alive at the time of the next presidential election? he makes brian cowen look like a triathlon runner.

Comment

He's hired Barcelona's former medical advisor to get into shape.

Comment

he needs the juventus guy. the one that turned zidane from a player with the physique of a mcClair, and the speed of a late era cantona, into one of the best players in the world. albeit one who kept headbutting and stamping on people

Comment

There's been speculation of LA mayor Antonio Villaraigosa running for the Dems in 2016. He may be interested in doing that, but it seems extremely far-fetched.

Comment

I think it's unlikely the Democrats will nominate somebody from California any time soon, both because they've already got the electoral votes in the bag and because lots of swing voters in the "heartland" resent and hate California and think it's in some sort of irreversible, terminal decline due to its godless liberal policies.

A Democratic candidate from Texas is more likely, especially if one can manage to win statewide office here in the next ten years or so and/or the state's demographics keep trending favorably for Democrats.

(Keep your eye on San Antonio mayor Julián Castro, politics watchers.)

Comment

Doesn't castro have a plum speaking spot at the convention? The one Obama had eight years ago?

Comment

Yes, he's delivering the keynote address.

He has an identical twin brother, Joaquin, also a politician (in the Texas House of Representatives). Imagine the conspiracy theories the right-wing will try to spin about them should Julián ever run for president!

Comment

can I put him in my death pool then? Just looking at a reeling in the years clips show for 1968, and there's a shot of bobby kennedy. I'm not sure that anyone that physically weedy would be able to run for president now. TV sure has changed a lot

Comment

Oops.

All credentialed media checking into the Republican National Convention are being given a swag bag featuring brochures and items from various sponsors such as sunglasses and a pocket fan. But the bag also contains a copy of the original hardcover version of Mitt Romney's book No Apology, in which he suggested his approach to health care in Massachusetts could be accomplished in the rest of the country."

The paperback version, which came out early last year, completely revised the section on his health care plan.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X