The Unfortunate Phrasing thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Unfortunate Phrasing thread

AKA the "Unfortunate... but was that intentional?" Thread.

This gem of a headline from LinkedIn generated a smirk, but then I am incredibly childish:

Is this euphemism used elsewhere than in the UK?

Comment

It formed a pretty major joke in the first Austin Powers movie, so I'd assume so.

Comment

I seem to remember it being used in The Big Bang Theory as well.

Comment

Number two....a deuce....whatever.

Comment

I don't currently have anything to add to this thread, but I wanted to put my support for it and the original post on record. Promoting poo puns is a big job, and I'm thankful Tobes is up to the task.

Comment

He's not afraid to do the grunt work.

Comment

I commend this motion.

Comment

I'm just glad the thread wasn't a complete stinker which went straight down the pan.
                  Last edited by Toby Gymshorts; 28-01-2021, 15:29.

Comment

Writing copy for linked in is a big job. I’m sure it was intentional. It gets shared more this way. The important thing is when you feel a shit pun coming along don’t allow yourself to be deterred. It’s easy to dump your best work.

Comment

If people are getting paid to write copy about insurance for LinkedIn the the world is significantly more fucked than I previously imagined.

Comment

Whenever I see the name Generali, I just think of a story I read a few decades ago in Private Eye. In the old days pre-HMRC when UK income tax cheques were payable to the "Inland Revenue", some lazy taxpayers would just write "IR". So when such cheques got stolen, fraudsters could (in the good old days before AML ID verification and so on) open up a bank account in the name "IR Smith", or "IR Jones" or whatever, cash the cheques and disappear. Things were a little more challenging in Ireland, where tax cheques were apparently payable to the "Collector General", but that didn't deter a fraudster in Dublin who successfully ran the scam by opening a bank account for "his Italian au-pair, Miss Collectora Generali".

Comment

Reminds me of this story: https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/...m-from-taxman/

Comment

Working...
                          X