No announcement yet.

McMansions Near You

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know of anywhere that a minimum wage is a living wage. Could be, I don't know much about the rest of Europe for example.

Comment

That's a valid question

My sense is that USD 15/ hour is in a number of places, though not where you and I happen to live

Comment

Is there anything in the US like the Living Wage Foundation here, an independent organisation which calculates a living wage on a transparent basis, each year?

(£9.50 outside London, £10.85 in London)

Comment

Not a single, well accepted source.

There are a number of competing calculations available.

The US context is especially challenging because the cost of living, tax regime, social safety net and much else differ considerably by state (and within states).

Comment

Sure. I mean, things vary here too, within London as well as between areas outside London.

The LWF have done an incredible job in establishing themselves and the measure.

Comment

Of course, though your legal and regulatory regime is much more consistent across geographies than ours.

Comment

Oh sure.

The government tried to get in on the act by renaming the minimum wage but I really don't think it has worked.

Comment

This site https://livingwage.mit.edu suggests $28/hour for 1 adult with no children in San Mateo County, with the minimum wage being $12/hour.

Comment

$28 would be hard to live on there but possible, I’d guess.
                    Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 26-06-2021, 18:25.

Comment

There are always people who claim that paying people properly will cost jobs. It's best ignored.

Comment

Happens to be a very active "debate" here post-pandemic, where the reactionaries are bleating that "no one wants to work", when in reality labour have become more sensitive to wages and conditions.

The GOP response to this has of course been to gut unemployment assistance and tear additional holes in what passes for a safety net in the states they control.

Comment

https://twitter.com/danrkports/status/1420483570364149761

Comment

That looks like a great place to run a meth lab.

Comment

Suburban Dallas, so great from a logistics perspective too

Comment

Is Dallas like Houston in lacking zoning?

Comment

Not quite as laissez-faire, but still very unregulated in many places

Comment

Working...
                                  X