Local accents in UK (and abroad)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Local accents in UK (and abroad)

We live in Colchester and had to go to Sudbury today (about 15 miles / 20 minutes away)

Is it unique to the UK that two towns so close together can have such completely different accents? The guy I was talking to had such a strong Suffolk accent I could barely understand what he was saying. Does this happen in other countries/languages as well?

Certainly happens in Holland,. It amazes me that such a small country can have so many distinctive accents in such close proximity(often just a couple of kilometres apart).

Comment

The difference between the city of Oxford and Oxfordshire was always very, erm, pronounced.

Ursus can say more, but I have a feeling that there are big differences around New York, when you cross the Hudson and East Rivers.

Comment

Very much so.

What outsiders consider the "classic" New York accent is very much a creature of Brooklyn and Long Island (the suburban development of which was largely driven by white flight from Brooklyn). The "Jersey Shore/Sopranos" variant is derivative therefrom, but distinguishable to locals.

Manhattan south of 125th Street has always been a sort of RP enclave, largely due to the very high numbers of transplants and the expectations of business. Queens and the Bronx are very much influenced by their relatively high numbers of non-native English speakers, the ethnic composition of which can change quite significantly over relatively short periods of time.

Comment

I can pick out a Burnley, Accrington and Blackburn accent despite there being a total of 12 miles between them.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
            I can pick out a Burnley, Accrington and Blackburn accent despite there being a total of 12 miles between them.
            Blackburn's definitely different to Bolton, which is different to Manchester. Oldham's also quite distinctive.

Comment

As an alternative...I've lived in England since 1985 and can't always tell people from Nottingham, Leeds and Manchester apart

Comment

Northampton is definitely southern, with pronunciation like car-stle, gra-arse and barth. Leicester just 25 miles north takes the correct northern version of such words by removing the superfluous 'r' and putting the emphasis on a hard 'a' (no sniggering at the back).

Comment

Flat vowels and Proper Consonants are fucking boss.

Used to mildly perplex me that films like Dead Man's Shoes were apparently set in the Midlands but sounded Oop North to me, I expected all Midlands accents to sound Brummie.

Comment

Returning to the OP, barely intelligible local accents here tend to be markers of geographic and cultural isolation.

The Gullah-influenced dialect of some islands off of South Carolina, for instance, or the High Tider dialect of North Carolina and Chesapeake Bay islands that preserves elements of Elizabethan English

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gullah_language

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Tider

Comment

Different parts of Manchester have different accents. It's fucking ridiculous.

Comment

It's the same with villages and towns in Cumbria. 3 miles apart, markedly different accents (to the trained ear, at least).

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post
                          Is there a "Northern Quarter" accent?

Comment

Originally posted by colchestersid View Post
                            We live in Colchester and had to go to Sudbury today (about 15 miles / 20 minutes away)

Is it unique to the UK that two towns so close together can have such completely different accents? The guy I was talking to had such a strong Suffolk accent I could barely understand what he was saying. Does this happen in other countries/languages as well?
                            My sister lives in Sudbury; has done for 25 years or so. She hasn't picked up the accent, though.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post

Is there a "Northern Quarter" accent?
                              Yeah. Home counties.

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post
                                Yes, varying patterns within the same conurbation (as Henry Higgins knew way back): I can easily tell a Walker (Wahkah) accent from one across the river in Hebburn or Jarrow (Jarruh), even tho it’s only a few hundred yards and there used to be ferries between them, for the shipyards

Comment

I have quite a strong regional accent, the region in question being 'Sussex/Surrey borders'.

Wherever else in the UK you live, you'll identify this immediately as 'posh twat'.

Comment

can't always tell people from Nottingham, Leeds and Manchester apart
                                    Really, DG? I'm not too familiar with the Nottingham accent, but I believe that in Manchester, like in most of industrial/post-industrial Lancashire, words like "book" and "look" are pronounced so as to rhyme with "spook". That's just the most blatant difference I'm aware of between Manc and Leeds.

Comment

Originally posted by colchestersid View Post

My sister lives in Sudbury; has done for 25 years or so. She hasn't picked up the accent, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post

Really, DG? I'm not too familiar with the Nottingham accent, but I believe that in Manchester, like in most of industrial/post-industrial Lancashire, words like "book" and "look" are pronounced so as to rhyme with "spook". That's just the most blatant difference I'm aware of between Manc and Leeds.
                                        Wheras in Leeds they don't know what the fook a book is.

Manchester isn't a spook/book place. That's very Bolton/Burnley. It's a flatter oo sound than spook.

Comment

The best "book" pronunciation can be found in Liverpool.

Comment

No-one actually says "fook" though, do they?

Comment

China has a huge range of different accents, dialects and even languages. In theory everyone is taught standard Mandarin Chinese in school, but depending on how much education any individual received affects how much of it they may remember in later life. Chongqing had a very specific accent. So, for example, if you want to say "I don't know", in Mandarin Chinese it sounds like "woah boo joo dow", but in Chongqing dialect (known as Chongqinghua) it sounds like "woah boo shao day" and it also has different tones and emphasis. Chongqinghua in general sounds more rhythmical and more sarcastic. People from the countryside tend to have the strongest accents and a farmer from the outskirts of Shanghai, say, probably wouldn't find it easy to understand a farmer from the outskirts of Chongqing. Cantonese goes a whole step further and uses a different version of the written characters (Cantonese uses traditional characters whereas Mandarin uses Mao's "simplified" characters). Veering into the different languages of the minorities you get Hakka and Malay and Arabic which are completely different.

I don't know if you get differences over as short distances as you do in the UK, but there are definite differences across provinces and cities.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                                                No-one actually says "fook" though, do they?
                                                Fuck and book rhyme. Spook and fuck don't.

Comment

I didn't know that Cantonese was written with Traditional characters. The simplified characters also cause issues in Japan, because the adaptation was of the traditional set.

There was a fascinating recent Radiolab on how the party used romanisation programmes for phones and computers to promote standard Mandarin.

https://www.wnycstudios.org/podcasts...es/wubi-effect

Comment

Working...
                                                  X