https://hodges.zoom.us/j/91762548643...BNRkh5L1RSdz09

Comment

I'll be on in a bit.

Comment

More welcome

Comment

5 of us on.

Comment

If nothing else, Satchmo, Capybara and Cal learnt that I'm not an AI programme randomly spouting koans into the ether!

Comment

Ha! We all had to look up koans.

Very much enjoyed your company!

Still 6 of us on - come and join us.
              Last edited by Cal Alamein; 17-04-2021, 21:38.

Comment

Buster has entered the thon'

Comment

EIM has just posted a photo of a bottle of Super Bock on Facebook. Serendipitous...

Comment

Sorry for the abrupt exit. I ignored battery warnings. Thanks to Satchmo for organising. Great to see everyone, especially Diable Rouge for the first time. And Buster obvs.
                    Last edited by Capybara; 17-04-2021, 22:28.

Comment

Seconded.

Comment

I had to leave suddenly too. Great chat

Comment

Great session Satch, enjoyed the conversation!

Comment

Great as always; I was sorry that DR left before TAB arrived. Awesome to catch up with Cal and Buster.

Topics: Rivalries within Yorkshire*, states with good and poor vaccination rates, beverages.

*I don't really perceive any.

Comment

Aubergines:

In different languages:

https://www.indifferentlanguages.com/words/aubergine

The Etymology of Eggplant

https://www.thekitchn.com/how-you-sa...anguage-233634

"John Gerard first described eggplants in his 16th-century Herball, or General Historie of Plants, as having “the bignesse of a Swans egge,” and the name stuck, at least among English-speaking people.

According to Ina Lipkowitz, PhD, the etymology of its northern European name reads like a who’s who of early marauders. The French and the British (copying the French), call eggplants aubergine, which is derived from the Sanskrit word vatinganah (literally, “anti-wind vegetable”). The Persians transformed that into badingan, and, after the Persians invaded Arabia, the Arabs added the indefinite article al calling it al-badhinjan.

When the Arabs swept through Spain, al-badhinjan lost its al, becoming known as berengena. But the northern Spanish retained al, transforming the word to alberginia, which the French mispronounced aubergine."

The most remote place in Ireland:

https://threerockbooks.com/irelands-...20in%20Ireland.

I was also told that Mayo in Ireland isn't pronounced in the same way as the Spanish for May.

Sports stuff:

The history of substitutes in football came up, as well as the extra game in the NFL. So did Walter Winterbottom. And Alf Ramsey:

Ramsey was very sensitive about his personal background. He strove to mask his working-class Essex origins and to present himself as erudite and worldly, going so far as to adopt an accent that the journalist Brian Glanville called "sergeant-major posh".[114] A widely held perception that Ramsey's accent had become more upper-class during his time as England manager fuelled speculation that he had received elocution lessons, and prompted constant joking from members of the England team who came from similar Essex or East London backgrounds, such as Bobby Moore and Jimmy Greaves.[114]Rodney Marsh, a forward from the East End who played in Ramsey's England team from 1971 to 1973, later said:
                              Alf tended to speak in a very poncey plum-in-the-mouth way. It was all "Oh hello Rodney and how are you?". To me it was all complete bollocks.[169]

It was rumoured that Ramsey had Romany (or "gypsy") ancestors.[170][171] Ramsey was sensitive about the suggestion and, according to one anecdote, seethed with fury when Moore saw some Romany caravans and joked that the manager should "drop in to see his relatives".[114] The football journalist Ken Jones related that on one occasion, when Ramsey perceived Moore and Greaves to be mocking his accent on the team bus, he said he would "win the World Cup without those two bastards"

The Senate:

Which Democrat senator was mentioned as a potential spanner in the works for positive reform? I don't remember.

Honourable mentions:

Dungeness, Dagenham, fishing in Ireland, fish restaurants in Madrid, pants/trousers.

"
                              Last edited by Sporting; 18-04-2021, 11:31.

Comment

In more linguistic aubergine news, the word in Hungary is padlizsan (which comes from the Turkish word padlican) however the Hungarian word in Transylvania is veneto which comes from the Romanian word (which comes from slavic? Not sure)

Comment

It appears the Irish for same food is ubhthoradh, or literally "eggfruit" - unsure how recently that was coined, but interesting that it was influenced by the American term.

Comment

I've missed the last couple of these now and I'm kicking myself because they are always a laugh. No exciting excuses for not being on parade last night either, just plain forgot.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                                      Which Democrat senator was mentioned as a potential spanner in the works for positive reform? I don't remember.
                                      The betting is always Manchin (West Virginia) followed by Sinema (Arizona)

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                        In more linguistic aubergine news, the word in Hungary is padlizsan (which comes from the Turkish word padlican) however the Hungarian word in Transylvania is veneto which comes from the Romanian word (which comes from slavic? Not sure)
                                        Possibly Indic originally

The Indic word vātiṅ-gaṇa was then borrowed into Persian as bādingān. Persian bādingān was borrowed in turn into Arabic as bāḏinjān (or, with the definite article, al-bāḏinjān). From Arabic, the word was borrowed into European languages.
                                        The Wiki on the development of the different families of name is interesting
                                        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eggplant

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

The Senate:

Dungeness, Dagenham, fishing in Ireland, fish restaurants in Madrid, pants/trousers.
                                          I don't know how you remember as much as you do. The following morning I usually think 'well, I enjoyed that' and then struggle to think of more than two topics we covered. Anyway, I think it was the West Virginia one who ursus has referred to who was specifically mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by Capybara View Post
                                            I don't know how you remember as much as you do
                                            One of my few skills.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                              Turkish and Polish both have aubergine as patlican. As a travelling vegetarian, I know to look out for patlican soslu on Eastern European menus, it's usually aubergine and tomato and fairly reliably vegetarian.

Comment

Aubergine in Albanian is Patellxhan - which is probably a relic of Ottoman rule.

Comment

Winterbottom's appointment in 1946 was just an add-on to his FA coaching job. He never managed a club (but did play for Man U 26 times as a part-time player while teaching). Had to quit playing due to ankylosing spondylitis (spinal arthritis). He's still technically the longest-serving England coach (16 years) and will always remain so, I assume, but he wasn't picking the team (it was done by a committee).

Yorkshire internal conflicts are more likely to be class-specific and/or urban v rural; resentment of Leeds and Sheffield having so much power; but hostility towards outsiders is far stronger than internal animosities.
                                                  Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 18-04-2021, 13:10.

Comment

"How can you trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders? A man can't even trust his own pants."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuWzeoIr7J4

Comment

Working...
                                                    X