Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your partner's/family's relationship to this board; what do they know?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I presume that would have the consequence of rendering Google searches of World as an alternative to the Search function useless, but those are not as necessary as they once were.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
      Anyone in touch with Toro?
      He's at Exeter now, and not as active on Twitter as he once was (at least under his real name)

Comment

Originally posted by Auntie Beryl View Post

Mrs AB knows I come here and post occasionally. She couldn't give a hoot what I write, knowing I'm not that profilic a poster in any event, and seems to appreciate that there's a lot of wisdom and reasoned analysis here.
        Same for me, though not with Mrs AB obviously. Mrs F knows that I come on here and if I chuckle at something while looking at my phone I'll get the "Your looking at that bloody football thing again aren't you".

Comment

ursus minor briefly had an account here and made a few posts, but quickly lost interest.

OTF-based observations are not infrequent subjects of mealtime conversation here in the cave, and members of my family have met a handful of you (always with good results).

Comment

I'm still friends with Toro on FB. He reacted to a post of mine yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
              I was lurking for years before I joined, I doubt I'm the only one. Was too scared by Toro to join back then.
              Ditto, except I was also lurking for a couple of years after I joined, and was scared by more people.

My partner has known about me reading this board for ages, and was slightly shocked (but supportive) when I actually started posting on here.

Comment

My gf thinks it's a bit weird I post to strangers but is ok with it. She's lurked a few times on mundane, and is a fan of MsD and FF, all the other threads are boring shite in her opinion.

Comment

I stay in touch with Toro. I keep telling him he should come back.

Comment

Toro is in good form, and seemingly mostly pre-occupied with being angry at the take over of the university trade union by trotskyite entrists.

Comment

I lurked for many years, thoroughly enjoying Wingco's England match reports and Seppings' thrashings in the process.

I obviously don't have your collective footballing pedigree, although I got my Mum to send off a 1p cheque for the Reuben Agboola sticker to enable me to complete Football '85, so there's a place for me here.

I went with my now ex to 64 of the former 92, and not many South African ladies have been to that many. I broke her by cajoling her into going to Dartford v Bristol Rovers after we'd done a walk on the Thames Path... Played on a quagmire in the freezing cold, she never really forgave me for that.

My new girlfriend would only be interested in going to watch Liverpool to hear 'You'll Never Walk Alone', which is fair enough I suppose. If I laugh out loud at something on here then I try and explain it to her, but otherwise she'd have no interest.

Comment

Yeah I see Toro occasionally posting up things I don't wholly agree with on Facebook.

My other half knows a little of this place, and is uninterested apart from anything else, and I sometimes tell her about rows I've got into on here. My brother is a sometime OTF regular himself of course, and my other siblings have actually met various OTFers down the years too.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                          Toro is in good form, and seemingly mostly pre-occupied with being angry at the take over of the university trade union by trotskyite entrists.
                          Angry: check
                          Unhappy with the left: check

Not changed much then?

Comment

When I'm in the pub, I often quote you lot - "my mate says X", or "my mate reckons Y". A lot of it is clever stuff, and I'm sure they're all thinking that my mates in my other locals are a lot cleverer than whichever one I'm in at the time. Of course, this feeling would be lessened if I named you - "Gangster Octopus said..." or "Nocturnal Submission's an expert in..." would put me straight onto the weirdo list.

Comment

Well the problem with trotskyite entrists is that they're not trying to make things better, they actively trying to make things worse, so it precipitates the glorious revolution. Some people have better things to be doing with their time. These people aren't the left, they're on a different continuum entirely
                              Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 01-05-2020, 16:33.

Comment

Nostalgia for Toro. Here's an example of a characteristic exchange:

Me: You assume that people who are mistaken in your view are not making a good enough effort not to be mistaken.

Toro: No, I think you can absolutely help being a lazy, obstinately incurious arsehole, which is why it's blameworthy.

Let's have more of that! A scourge of irrational discourse yet haughtily Roman Catholic. Does he know about the new ignore poster feature?

Comment

La Signora regards OTF as being "down the pub." She's never shown any interest in being here though, very occasionally, I'll send a thread I think will interest her. She does Facepaint, to keep up with acquaintances. I frequent a few football and NHL boards but that's about it. No social media at all.

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post
                                    When I'm in the pub, I often quote you lot - "my mate says X", or "my mate reckons Y". A lot of it is clever stuff, and I'm sure they're all thinking that my mates in my other locals are a lot cleverer than whichever one I'm in at the time. Of course, this feeling would be lessened if I named you - "Gangster Octopus said..." or "Nocturnal Submission's an expert in..." would put me straight onto the weirdo list.
                                    Yeah, it can be a bit disconcerting. I remember the the first thon I went to, when I had no clue what anyone looked like — and vice-versa — wondering whether I'd have the bottle to ask the barman whether Wyatt Earp was in tonight.

Comment

When I met Wyatt Earp, he said his wife would be coming along. Tony Curran said that his wife would not.
                                      Before learning that both women had changed their minds about the evening, I was more than a little confused about how 'friendly' Mrs Earp seemed to be toward Tony at the pub while completely ignoring her own spouse.

Comment

Originally posted by Incandenza View Post
                                        He reacted to a post of mine yesterday.
                                        Called you a cunt and made fun of your mental illness?

Comment

I have been a WSC subscriber since the late 1980s and met a couple of the people producing the magazine in Poznan in 1991 through some friends who had been on the Albania trip. I only got around to joining this forum a couple of months ago when I left my last job and now have a lot of free time on my hands.......

Mrs Fatbear knows I contribute to a couple of football forums and only takes an interest when I tell her something funny, she has her own set of virtual "friends"..........

Comment

Depending on mood, it's "your football forum", "your football friends" or as above but louder, with "fucking" used as an additional adjective.

She gets a bit jealous as she only lurks in a couple of Facebook groups and is never confident or interested enough to contribute.

Comment

Mrs SB knows you lot exist and occasionally complains that I spend too much time typing angrily (often when I'm not actually being angry, but the typing is vigorous). She's sort of OK with it, but probably doesn't know that I occasionally let slip personal stuff and would probably be a little uncomfortable with that. At one point she thought I should drop my internet chatty stuff altogether for a while an remember how to be a social human, but after we moved to the US with less of an obvious real in person social network, she became more understanding.

Back in previous times I talked about meeting up with someone from a different message board and she was not at all relaxed about that. I think she'd be more relaxed now, but I haven't pushed it which is why none of you were invited to San Diego.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                                ..which is why none of you were invited to San Diego.
                                                What if, um, we were coming to San Diego anyway and hoping to catch a ball game?

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post
                                                  Don’t forget to mention Freestyling Buck Wilding Stijn Stijner. From memory that was.

Comment

Aside from the fact that one of my actual family is on here, usually it is of the "someone I know, well, I say I know, I met them on a message board, well I say I met, I...." variety which I have now changed to the "We were saying earlier...." where the 'we' does a lot of heavy lifting.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X