No announcement yet.

Sir Keir Starmer - Labour Party Leader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As someone said on one of the Twitter threads linked above, re Starmer's outrage about the smell of cannabis wafting from the street into probably fictitious children's bedrooms, has he shown anything like that level of interest in, say, black mould in tenanted properties that has actually resulted in infant death?

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

I don't know. For a start, I'm not even sure what that "mission" actually means. I presume that it's something like a four- or five-year (or however long this first term runs) GDP growth comparison, but the "sustained" bit is a bit of mystery, perhaps deliberately placed there to allow for some terminological wiggle room. But if he's able to accurately forecast the macroeconomic futures of the other G7 countries in the second half of the decade he might want to consider a career switch to chief economist at Goldman Sachs or perhaps a reheated Mystic Meg spot on the national lottery draw show.
      You're forgetting how low a bar they would be starting from.

Comment

Originally posted by E10 Rifle View Post

That was pretty much exactly what John McDonnell said of the 2017 and 2019 manifestos too. Nice to see some continuity.
        although the big pitch then were the changes that would be made in people's lives,.

Comment

Kicking out Corbyn- it's official

https://twitter.com/iainjwatson/status/1640281182305656832?s=20

Comment

It must be hard for any true progressive to vote Labour with a clean conscious now, tactically or otherwise. It's just a machine to win elections, not improve people's lives. The motion pretty much admits that: win at all costs.

He gets a woman of Pakistani descent to second the motion.
            Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 27-03-2023, 11:51.

Comment

This is so sad and makes me so angry. I believed in Corbyn and the 17 & 19 manifestos, I joined the Party, campaigned, dreamt. The way he has been utterly destroyed by the press and now his own Party is just, heart-breaking? Is that OTT? I don't know, it's how it makes me feel though.

And people wonder why politicians are all the same and only interested in themselves and, yes, the few.....

Comment

I keep coming back to this, and it will remain ever true - they are concentrating on this sort of thing, rather than stopping the rivers being filled with sewage. And that tells you everything you need to know.

Comment

Prior to 2015, I always took the Labour right at face value, in the sense that I believed that their opposition to the left was a pragmatic one. They were so conditioned to believe that Blairite style centrism was the only way that Labour could win, that they couldn't see how things were changing, certainly among the post boomer generations.

Naively, I assumed that after 2017 there would be some accomodation between the two wings of the party. I thought that at least some of the figures on the right would look at the figures - the largest number of voters so far in the 21st C, the first time they broke the 40% share of the vote barrier since 2001, totally dominating the votes cast by young people (75% of voters under 30 iirc) - and see that as an opportunity. Tory voters are going to die soon, Labour could potentially dominate UK politics over the next 50 years. That surely was something that some figures on the right would look at and say 'we can work with this.'

The fact that not a single fucking one of them could see this as an opportunity proves that they're not in any way pragmatists. They are ideological purists on a par with a Comintern apparatchik during the third period. The difference being even Stalin and Molotov were prepared to admit they got it wrong after Hitler seized power. It's abundantly clear now that the Labour right will never, ever admit to being wrong, unless it is to say we should have been more right wing.

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
                    It's been said plenty but on that basis Ed Miliband should be getting kicked out as well

Absolutely no mention of AS or the EHRC thing, no doubt because they don't have a leg to stand on. They can smear in interviews etc (as Cooper did today) but they can't give it as a reason for blocking him

It's so vindictive and mean and I still hope that somehow it blows up in their spiteful faces

Comment

https://twitter.com/DoubleDownNews/status/1640327433692872705?t=0YyN9gaFNTOn9mV33HQjAw&s=19

Comment

Originally posted by Gas In Name Only View Post

It's been said plenty but on that basis Ed Miliband should be getting kicked out as well

Absolutely no mention of AS or the EHRC thing, no doubt because they don't have a leg to stand on. They can smear in interviews etc (as Cooper did today) but they can't give it as a reason for blocking him

It's so vindictive and mean and I still hope that somehow it blows up in their spiteful faces
                        As would Gordon Brown

Comment

Looks as though Corbyn is standing

https://twitter.com/patrickkmaguire/status/1640392254282924033?s=46&t=Kr3drY-DeN8haW4Acr2opg

as Gas in Name only said they have nothing to say about the EHRC Report -

Comment

Comment

https://twitter.com/gregclinker/status/1640391446862741515?s=46&t=Kr3drY-DeN8haW4Acr2opg

Comment

https://twitter.com/flying_rodent/status/1640391496548466705?s=46&t=Kr3drY-DeN8haW4Acr2opg

Comment

Comment

Has this been posted anywhere? Seems to sum it up.

https://twitter.com/gablid/status/1640412646607339521?s=20

Comment

A timely interview with James Schneider -(another Jew, incidentally) about Corbyn

Comment

Millions of people voted for Corbyn who is becoming a very English figure

https://twitter.com/driandunce/status/1640419774034264066?s=20

https://twitter.com/flying_rodent/status/1640454336714244096?s=20

Comment

Can't help but wonder how a highly visible stand off between the last two iterations of Labour in Islington would affect races in nearby constituencies

Comment

I'm not sure it would at all.

Comment

Probably not, but on the other hand one of JC's neighbouring constituencies is represented by Kier Starmer, and another by Dianne Abbott.

Comment

If I still lived in Hackney, I’d still vote for Diane.

KS is going to have to fight to keep his own seat, I think.

Comment

Hackney’s demographic has changed a fair bit in last decade, though. More yuppies for want of a better word. No, I don’t mean hipsters, I mean *yuppies*.

Comment

Originally posted by MsD View Post
                                                    KS is going to have to fight to keep his own seat, I think.

Can't see this scenario, great as it would be.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X