No announcement yet.

The very minor pluses of Covid19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The relative lack of pollution has to be a massive plus. It's a depressing thought that flights and car use will most likely go back to normal again afterwards. Hopefully companies will see that the new way can work and reduce need for commuting and business flights accordingly. Not sure I'd bet on it though.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post

I know. I rolled my eyes at that.

I reckon they should have called it the Millennium Hospital just to wind up the stadium sponsors.
      I would have gone with the Justin Tipuric Hospital but I've been wanting them to name the stadium after him for years anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post
        A colleague of mine went on a first date on 15 March. Because of lockdown, she hasn't been able to go on another, but is already excited that this is now her third longest ever relationship.
        I genuinely laughed out loud at this.

Comment

It seems that my home gym is arriving later tomorrow, which will be awesome. Except the part where I have to explain that I bought it to my wife.

Comment

watching whisky galore

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
              It seems that my home gym is arriving later tomorrow, which will be awesome. Except the part where I have to explain that I bought it to my wife.
              "Happy Easter, darling!!"

Comment

"My boss bought it for me,"

Comment

Nice ideas. It is a rather raw and very me set-up to claim it has any other purpose (a squat rack, barbell and about 400lb in barbell weights). I am excited at least - I have missed it a lot.

Comment

"This is an error. I ordered a lovenasium. Oh well..."

Comment

Say it's to help her get strong enough to carry you up the stairs at night.

Comment

"I just want to develop a body that's worthy of yours."

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                          Kudos to Doncaster Council for this thread.
                          https://twitter.com/MyDoncaster/status/1247083713428631553
                          This is very famous. Just a terrible terrible idea.

Comment

https://twitter.com/MrAndrewCotter/status/1248313303270596610

Brilliant transferrable skills from commentator Andrew Cotter.

Comment

I presume we covered his earlier dog commentary on this thread?

Comment

I think we did. But every detail is superb.

I'm really enjoying watching musicians doing live streams from their homes, either in place of planned gigs/tours or just as a fun thing to do. Currently watching one of my musical heroes play some songs in his living room in New Zealand. Amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                                  We lost a couple of fence panels during the storms in February and had, along with the family that we share the fence with, been waiting for some decent weather to get the damage repaired. One of our neighbours is a black cab driver and, obviously, not working at the moment. He's also quite the handyman and said that he'd replace the missing panels himself, plus a third one that's in poor shape. He was going to arrange for the new timber to be delivered and, for social distancing reasons, would do the work himself, with the occasional assistance of his young son. He'll also burn all the old timber. And we'll split the cost which, given that it's my house's fence, is exceedingly generous.

I can't even make him a cup of tea.

Anyway, he's halfway through the task and making a really neat job of it. I might put up a photo later.

Comment

So, we've been on lockdown for over three weeks now, about 25 days. During that length of time someone in my immediate household family would usually have had a cough, cold, bout of d&v, fever, etc. Because we're exposed to almost zero possibility of infection from Covid-19, we're also seemingly reducing our exposure to other run of the mill non-fatal infections. Which is quite nice. Maybe we'll just stay on lockdown indefinitely. Not a bad price to pay for never having to clean up vomit in the middle of the night.

Comment

Wow, NS, you have a humungous garden. Nice.

Comment

Reading a report about the spread of the virus in India on a local website I now know about "lakh":

A unit in theIndian numbering system equal to one hundred thousand. In the Indian convention of digit grouping, it is written as 1,00,000.

It is widely used both in official and other contexts in Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Myanmar, Nepal, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka.

Comment

Yes lakh and crore are those words I always have to look up whenever I read an article from the subcontinent

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                                            Wow, NS, you have a humungous garden. Nice.

Thanks, TonTon. Yes, we're quite lucky but no-one really uses it that much these days, now that the kids have grown up. And not being very green-fingered I just go out every once in a while to mow the lawn, trim the out-of-control bushes as best I can and try to keep the weeds down. It's really a bit of a mess, but there is a lot there for the local wildlife (a wide variety of insects and birds, squirrels, foxes and the odd toad) so I'm happy just to keep things ticking over.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                              Yes lakh and crore are those words I always have to look up whenever I read an article from the subcontinent

Ah, right. I didn't know about the latter.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

Thanks, TonTon. Yes, we're quite lucky but no-one really uses it that much these days, now that the kids have grown up. And not being very green-fingered I just go out every once in a while to mow the lawn, trim the out-of-control bushes as best I can and try to keep the weeds down. It's really a bit of a mess, but there is a lot there for the local wildlife (a wide variety of insects and birds, squirrels, foxes and the odd toad) so I'm happy just to keep things ticking over.
                                                Don't you sit in it much?

Comment

No, not at all! If it's warm in the evenings we might eat at a table on the small patio we have, but that's literally about it. My son was out there with friends a couple of times last summer but that was highly unusual and my daughter has become rather afraid of the aforementioned wildlife and rarely ventures out there!

Actually, my wife and I did a bit of clearing up yesterday and she did mention that she'd like to sit out there when the weather allows. Trouble is she feels the cold terribly so it would have to be a very warm day not to have her scurrying inside. We're also quite high up here (on the edge of the North Downs) and it gets rather windy, which doesn't help.

Comment

Yeah, it isn't often very warm, and if you get a breeze it won't feel warm even more often I guess.

A little bit of garden would suit me right now, but my other half feels cold all the time too.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X