Broken & Late Ltd: Britain's Railways

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm no expert but sounds like you should go to Virgin. Their train ran late and led you to miss the earlier train. They'd then chase Northern or Network Rail for reimbursement, if appropriate.

The DfT and Ministers have been leaning on companies to make compo more straightforward, so it could be surprisingly painless. Then again...

All the best.

Comment

"The Delay Repay form should only be used for delays experienced on Virgin Trains East Coast services. If you experience a delay on any other service, please contact that train company."

Nah. Faff. I'm out already. Which is what they want of course.

Comment

Is that what they mean? Don't they just mean they don't want people sending them claims for delays on London Underground or the DLR or whatever?

I think it's worth a go.

Comment

Perhaps. But I reckon they would/will claim that my inability to get on the Northern train was nothing to do with the late arrival of their train which it would have been had it arrived ten or so minutes later. I actually felt sorry for the Northern guard who could barely get on himself and the train left with his face pressed against the window of the rear door of the 142 (see one of BBaF!'s posts). For what I might receive in compensation (and that's unclear) it's not worth the bother.

Comment

Is there a waiting list for people who want to help cut up the Pacers?

Comment

They'll almost certainly end up at Booth's in Rotherham, so you'll get an excellent view of an empty Millmoor...

Comment

Ooh, now I've learned something interesting today. Thanks GO.

CF Booth buys, breaks and recycles large volumes of Rolling Stock and Railway Memorabilia every year.

We have invested heavily in developing the infrastructure to handle all kinds of rolling stock including shunting engines, coal wagons, coaches, 125 tonne locomotives and London Underground carriages.

CF Booth can also offer secure rolling storage for our customers. We have just over 2,000 meters of sidings connected to a major railway line.

We are proud to be playing a major role in supporting the UK National Rail Industry in their efforts to upgrade the rail network.

We are also very proud to provide a valuable service to railway enthusiasts and preservationists throughout the UK as they continue to restore rolling stock vehicles to their former glory for future generations to enjoy.

http://www.urbanghostsmedia.com/2014/08/c-f-booth-rotherham-train-graveyard-scrap-yard/

https://[video=youtube_share;mHf2T1W...?v=mHf2T1W7_w0[/video]

Comment

Lang Spoon wrote: Could any resident train folk help on the following please?The SNP are taking pelters over delays and overcrowding on the network. Now punctuality has dropped 2% to 88 for Scotrail, and many services are being given two car trains that fill in a second.
                  If by 'punctuality' you mean 'arrived at right time', 88% is a distant, distant pipe dream to the average Southern Rail traveller where the equivalent figure is currently a shade under 42%. Even the 'within 5-minutes' PPM figure is significantly less at 74%.

Care for a swap?

Comment

Heh, I wish I still lived in a country where extensive electrification was causing a degraded service. Instead Ireland has precisely one electric line (35 miles down the Dublin coastal suburban line) and only 5 sub/urban lines through Dublin in total (I think similar sized Glasgow has at least eleven, mostly on the 'leccy).

But even Ianrodd Eireann (Deffo sp) don't seem as shite as those Southern fannies.

Comment

Scotrail lines in general aren't going to be anything like as busy as ones in South East England, so there shouldn't be too many trainjams. On the other hand, they'll have some of the worst rolling stock to reflect that.

Comment

There's supposedly a 70% replacement programme for Scotland's trains over the next five years.

And while much of the network isn't heaving, between Glasgow and Edinburgh is pretty (obvs not south east) busy, and the Argyle/North Clyde, Cathcart Circle lines. And lines like the Fife Circle are using past it trains that are usually too small for the south fife commuter belt where most decent paying jobs these days involve working in Embra.

When some of the Circle sprinters (they were still the fairly default, depressing, standing up trudge, stop at every wee coastal place I ever threw up at, missed the fairly nice Dundee/Aberdeen train option on the Circle from Waverley a few years back at least) etc were built, the bigger Fife touns just about had their own functioning economy and industries that employed a diverse load of classes.

Now West Dunfermline has the highest income for Fife outside the Golf Coast/rich farmer belt. Cos it's near as hell the Forth Bridges and the M90.

Comment

There's pretty extensive train replacement everywhere except Wales. The investment is pretty impressive, except that the passengers (or more specifically peak time, walk on, and commuters) are contributing too high a proportion of it.

Comment

Grayling has made a bizarre announcement about private train companies taking over in some areas from Network Rail. The logic is that as they run trains along the line they'll be well placed to do maintenance. But Network Rail already outsources. Can't Virgin etc win bids like anyone else?

Nice sitter for the opposition parties. And maybe a few commuter seat Tories might object.

Comment

It worries me that the justification for this seemed to centre around saving money (when does it not?). Given that everything else I've see in the last year about the railway is also about making it cheaper to run, I fear it's only a matter of time before safety is once again compromised, with the usual tragic results.

Comment

The train companies have been part of the very good safety performance, in fairness. But there's certainly a temptation to underbody and cut corners.

Scotland isn't happy with Network Rail for overspending either, and want to set up their own regional version. That might work in England when they've got the new devolved authorities going.

Comment

Grayling had been suspiciously quiet, on reflection. He's back. Again.

Announced that East West Rail will be a wholly private line, track and trains. A funny idea because lots of the track must be shared with other lines. Some of the London Overground lines might have been a better fit, and maybe the defeat of Goldsmith stopped it.

Comment

The train / track management integration thingy is not a new idea, Grayling proposed it a decade back when he was shadow transport secretary.

He was interviewed on BBC Breakfast earlier and criticised the Southern Rail strikes as "ideological". Not like the Tories to ever do anything like that, eh?

Comment

It looks like the Croxley rail link is being cancelled.

This was picked up by the Diamond Geezer blog a few days ago when it was noticed that the new TfL business plan did not include plans for the Croxley rail link. The Hillingdon & Uxbridge Times is now also wondering the same thing. I have to admit, I've never really understood the business case for the scheme. It's not as if Watford has poor public transport links and needs more trains. It would also have meant the closure of the current Watford Metropolitan line station which is in a popular location.

Comment

That's a fucker.

Comment

In more positive news, Scotrail have got the first of their 70 Hitachi class 385 EMUs. There'll be a mixture of 3- and 4-car units.

Plan is to increase the capacity between Edinburgh and Glasgow from six to eight carriages at peak times, and to cut journey times.

Comment

I'm intrigued that Scotrail managed to settle a similar strike to the one Southern and the DfT are not settling.

On the face of it, Scotrail, with a fair few quiet lines, should have less need of pure conductors than Southern and the area covered is much bigger.

Did they basically give up on DOO? At the moment it all looks great for the SNP and how they "do things differently". But it might look less good if they're retro fitting DOO trains with conductor operated doors and adding running costs. Ruth Davidson would have fun with that.

Comment

In Scotland most of the stations are unstaffed so the train managers role is to issue the tickets. On Southern you have a gate line, ticket machines and ticket office before you reach the platform.

The difference is rural railway v intensive suburban

Comment

That photo of the 385s makes them look as if they will be run on a very narrow gauge

Comment

At least you all have a train system.

Comment

Meanwhile, in other countries and other rails...

Bombardier continues to miss its delivery dates on Toronto's streetcars. It's a $1.25 billion order and is now well overdue on its third (fourth? fifth?) revised delivery schedule. Apparently it's beyond their control how to build and deliver the cars they design and sell. Consequently, the TTC is rebuilding their 35 year old clunkers for another five years of service.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2016/12/14/ttc-report-warns-that-bombardier-could-miss-2019-streetcar-deadline.html

Comment

Working...
                                                    X