No announcement yet.

Broken & Late Ltd: Britain's Railways

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds like an interesting Transport Select Committee. Lillian Greenwood (the chair) suggested that the East Coast Mainline, on previous form, is the last place you'd try out a complicated new structure, which is exactly what Grayling intends to do.

Comment

Keiron Riley
      ‏@keironriley
      2h2 hours ago
      More
      The First of the new TransPennine Express fleet has arrived in the North. #Nova3 will be in use on our Middlesborough/Scarborough to Manchester/Liverpool services by the end of the year providing a much needed capacity boost.
      Fussbudget, that's the wrong route for you, right?

Comment

Cheers Tubbs, no that's my route alright. I'm surprised we're getting them as the Liverpool to Newcastle trains always seem more crowded, but I guess the new timetable might have addressed that. I think the Manchester to Leeds portion is where the real capacity problems are at the moment.

Comment

A case of believe it when you see it, I expect.

Comment

LR on the political implications of the timetable clusterfuck. Also performance stats for last week - bear in mind the timetable is already heavily padded.
            Day Within 5 mins Late Cancelled
            Monday 21 82.3% 10.9% 6.7%
            Tuesday 22 77.6% 13.2% 9.2%
            Wednesday 23 74.7% 15.2% 10.1%
            Thursday 24 72.9% 16.2% 11.0%
            Friday 25 75.5% 5.7% 18.8%

Comment

I think "padded" is a bit harsh. It's incredibly busy towards the centre where I expect most of the delays happen. Having a bit of time to sit at eg Three Bridges doesn't stop that.

But not good that it got worse as the week wore on.

Comment

Funny that Labour do so badly in Kent these days. The "citizens of nowhere" who have helped them swing eg Peterborough, and could make even Worthing East and Shoreham competitive, they don't seem to have moved to Dartford or Medway.

Comment

Padded in the sense that identical journeys take longer than they did before the London Bridge improvements, which were supposed to speed up journeys, and in some cases longer than their South Eastern counterparts. Deptford to LB is 6 minutes on SE and 7 minutes on TL.

Comment

Right, but that's down to more trains, isn't it? Doesn't mean it's necessarily all that easy to stick to that timetable.

Comment

More positive news.

http://www.railtechnologymagazine.co...ains-this-year

Major progress made on East Coast Main Line, paving way for new trains this year
                      Grayling will love that, coming on stream when the trains are publicly run.

Comment

Right, but that's down to more trains, isn't it?
                        There aren't any more trains on the Greenwich line. Less, in fact, at peak time. And even if there is interference from other lines, the whole point of the London Bridge upgrade was to reduce that interference. It also doesn't really explain why the SE train and TL train taking the same exact route (except for LB platform) is timetabled to take 16% longer. They should both be subject to much the same interference (and, I'd have thought if anything it would be less for the Thameslink service).

Comment

Aren't there a fair few more trains running overall (already) and especially through the Thameslink core? 18 trains an hour, I think it is. That's got to be complicated. The South Eastern don't have to go through that.

Comment

Sure, but the longer journey times are across the whole service, not just the TL core.

Comment

I think this might be relevant. LR on the Bermondsey Dive Under. I don't know how many of those are already running, and as you say London Bridge has been substantially improved, but it's quite a significant increase on that London Bridge-core section. I imagine this is very hard to get right.

In one sense the Bermondsey Diveunder won’t achieve much on completion because the number of trains going to London Bridge is scarcely altered. In another sense it is a lot of gain for a relatively little pain because the number of trains going from London Bridge to Blackfriars, Farringdon and St Pancras in peak hours increase from 1 to 16. It is true fewer will go via Elephant & Castle but via London Bridge is where the demand is anyway.

Comment

London Reconnections are absolute stars. What I would give for a similar site for New York.

Tubbs, their piece on the timetable changes is good on all of the relevant issues (and the fact that there aren't 18 trains an hour)

Comment

They're wonderful. We need a site like that for rail more widely.

I read that before and I recall the bit about getting up to 24tph in more phases than had been. But I had thought the 18 was still the starting point. I'm struggling to find anywhere how many are running. Last week it looks like they deceased by the say.

Comment

It seems that part of the problem is that the phase in is itself being phased in (by route), not to mention the impact of the cancellation.

Comment

The timetable is certainly padded on our line. My journey time in the evening has gone up from 47 minutes to 56 minutes, and the extra time is mostly being spent waiting just outside rather than at stations (I'm sure the people going to Northallerton are delighted with having to wait an extra 5-6 minutes in the carriage in full view of the platform and the repeated announcements from the conductor that no, the train has not broken down, this is a scheduled stop and we'll move to the platform soon.)

Also the new timetable and some bizarre new two-tiered classification of off-peak trains have combined so that I now have to pay £26.80 for an off-peak return ticket that cost £15.90 six months ago and gets me to work 30 minutes later than it used to. I know I do nothing but moan on this thread, but fucking hell.

Comment

No, it's fair enough.

Is there some sort of congestion further up the line that you have to wait to avoid?

Comment

On the (slightly) plus side, here's something on your new trains.

https://www.railmagazine.com/news/fl...arrive-in-uk-1

Comment

Not congestion as such as the line isn't that busy, just waiting for specific timetabled EC/XC trains to overtake. The new trains do look good though.

Comment

Citymapper report: 18:22 cancelled. 18:55 delayed. 19:05 cancelled.

Comment

Northern not looking good either.

https://twitter.com/Clinnick1/status/1001483997485158400

Comment

Whoops, Modern Railways.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
                                                    Citymapper report: 18:22 cancelled. 18:55 delayed. 19:05 cancelled.
                                                    The same going into Cannon Street from Deptford, Mrs AE ended up taking the bus.

Before this farce there were trains every ten minutes to Cannon Street, now it's much worse. It's a disgrace at best.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X