No announcement yet.

Smart meters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I won't have one, I'm not too fussed on the Orwellian aspect (I have Alexa listening in to everything I say or do in the living room and bedroom), it's more that it's the energy companies wanting more information so they can efficiently squeeze more profit from the consumer. And they very disingenuously advertise it as an energy saving tool, because of course what these companies and their shareholders really want to do is sell us less power. And the latest adverts use children, emotionally blackmailing/thanking us for doing our bit towards saving the planet by installing one.
    Having a Smart meter does absolutely zero to reduce consumption, unless people act on the information it provides. And if there is a mass slowdown in consumption, the power companies will just raise their prices.

I monitor electricity consumption with a Power meter British Gas gave us a few years ago, which shows how much is being used now, how much was used yesterday, with a graphic of a green, happy face if you're beating the day before, or a red unhappy one if vice versa. Which means I can return from work and glare/tut at Mrs D (who works from home) if she has dared to try and keep warm or use the tumble drier in my absence.

Comment

I have a key meter for the electric, so I'm already fully aware of how much electric I use, because if I'm not it'll go on me just as I've got back from the pub and all the shops are closed (this is always when key meters run out, unless it's Christmas Day, when they can go at any time).

I'd love a water meter though. I'm paying way over the odds compared to my consumption, but because of something to do with an internal split on the stopcock - I don't know, I stopped listening - I can't have one.

Comment

Working...
      X