Ethical conundrums for Guardian-reading OTF types

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ethical conundrums for Guardian-reading OTF types

To lower my plastic consumption, I carry around half a dozen small mesh bags for fruit and veg, and was dutifully filling one up with healthy root veg in the supermarket yesterday when I noticed... the carrots were from Israel. There was no other carrot available that wasn't pre-packed. What to do? Continue to save the environment while treading on the already oppressed peoples of Gaza and the West Bank, or support the environmentally execrable packaging industry but help free Palestine?

Avoid carrots?

Comment

Eat rabbits.

Comment

Free Palestine.

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post
          To lower my plastic consumption, I carry around half a dozen small mesh bags for fruit and veg, and was dutifully filling one up with healthy root veg in the supermarket yesterday when I noticed... the carrots were from Israel. There was no other carrot available that wasn't pre-packed. What to do? Continue to save the environment while treading on the already oppressed peoples of Gaza and the West Bank, or support the environmentally execrable packaging industry but help free Palestine?
          Get thee to thine nearest greengrocer?

Comment

Do you boycott US products as well? ( Ducks and hides but I don`t think the question is so flip.)

Comment

Go to the Kleinmarkthalle

Comment

Buy something other than carrots, on this occasion. Or go to another supermarket, on this occasion.

Better still, don't shop in supermarkets at all.

And try not to read the Guardian.

Comment

I know Frankfurt is multi-kulti and that, but what bloody supermarket were you in that doesn't sell German carrots? Or don't you have soil in Hesse?

Comment

Your'e just trying to build on the DFB referee conundrums and apply it to the rest of life.

Comment

The purchase would count if

a) there were no parsnips on the pitch
                      b) the turnips on the pitch were in their own half at the point at which the parsnip was absent
                      c) the swedes did a foul throw

Comment

A. I bought them, ate them, and slept like a bairn.

Comment

As part of the Buttered, Diced and Sauteed movement...

Comment

If it matters I wouldn't have bought the carrots. People in Gaza and the West Bank are not simply being oppressed, they're being murdered tortured and brutalised

Comment

My publication is writing a lot about Israeli start-ups. I weaseled out of doing the junket to Israel to meet with their companies but my colleague has done it and readers do seem to like those stories. They don’t tell us what to write, but they’re inevitably positive for the company. I’m not in a position to BDS. I don’t know what to do.

Comment

To lower my plastic consumption, I carry around half a dozen small mesh bags for fruit and veg, and was dutifully filling one up with healthy root veg in the supermarket yesterday when I noticed... the carrots were from Israel. There was no other carrot available that wasn't pre-packed. What to do? Continue to save the environment while treading on the already oppressed peoples of Gaza and the West Bank, or support the environmentally execrable packaging industry but help free Palestine? What to do? Continue to save the environment while treading on the already oppressed peoples of Gaza and the West Bank, or support the environmentally execrable packaging industry but help free Palestine?
                                Change supermarket.

Comment

Can you really not go without carrots?

Comment

A. I bought them, ate them, and slept like a bairn.
                                    Unlike the Palestinians

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                                      Can you really not go without carrots?
                                      Of course I could have. But I didn't. Because, as I discovered in the course of an extended campaign trying to persuade left-wing football fans to boycott the 2018 Russia World Cup on human rights grounds, it's not going to make a bit of fucking difference what I do or say either way.

Plus, I'd already planned dinner.

Comment

I can't think of a dinner for which not having carrots would be a big issue.

But then I don't cook much.

Comment

Which dish features carrots as its centrepiece?

Comment

Couldn't you have gone with partitioned Jerusalem Artichokes instead?

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                                              Do you boycott US products as well? ( Ducks and hides but I don`t think the question is so flip.)
                                              I don't*. Consumer boycotts work when they're in solidarity with an existing movement, campaign or cause. The Delano grape boycott, for example. I don't boycott Israeli goods because Israel is bad, I boycott them because Palestinians called for a boycott and because the Israeli government is fucking terrified of it.

*actually that's a lie, I don't buy United Fruit Company bananas but that's only cos I like to eat bananas without contemplating the US sponsorship of fascist mass murder in Guatemala.

Comment

Yeah I'd happily boycott the US if there was a decent "boycott the US" movement to get behind.

Comment

Because, as I discovered in the course of an extended campaign trying to persuade left-wing football fans to boycott the 2018 Russia World Cup on human rights grounds, it's not going to make a bit of fucking difference what I do or say either way.
                                                  I boycotted it largely because you brought the idea to the table, imp.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X