Just The Job - Part II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just The Job - Part II

Prompted by Ek Weet Nie on the Hierarchy thread, what's your current gig?

Me...Associate Creative Director / Copywriter at an advertising agency. Pretty much the same thing I've been doing for the past 22 years.

Something similar to whatever I said I was doing on that other thread...

Comment

Instructor Visual Communication/Communication Design at a Community College

Comment

Marketing bod. Not where I saw myself when I was at university but it's enjoyable enough and better than 12-hour shifts in a factory that I did after a meltdown which began ten years ago to this very day.

Comment

Man, look at all the tech industry wonks on here. I'm an SEO manager/strategist for a digital agency.

Comment

Head of an al fresco sports & leisure complex offering traditional German food, wine and beer. And two much-abused shithouses.

Comment

Lady of leisure, spending your taxes on tea.

Given that my long term aim is kind of to move to NW Scotland, I sometimes wonder what I might do for a living and the only thing I can think of is 'work in a shop'. That grammar school education that so many folk seem to think gives working class people a leg up left me with neither life skills nor occupational skills. I am fucking great at proofreading, but after I got made redundant by the publisher I used to work at I tried getting freelance gigs and couldn't raise a flicker of interest.

Comment

Admissions co-ordinator at a special needs college

Comment

office clerk,mainly counter,sometimes office work.

Comment

I work for a start-up that's a wholly-owned subsidiary of a university. I co-run a team of people who work with academics to make online degree courses.

Comment

I am Head of Financial Strategy. That sounds good doesn't it?

Comment

Pretty much the same as before. I mostly make computer animations using remote sensed data that help scientists explain their work. The video/graphic, map related, side of public understanding of science, I guess.

Comment

I put things on shelves.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                            I am Head of Financial Strategy. That sounds good doesn't it?
                            Yes. I'd employ you. €12.50 an hour and all the food and drink you want. But you have to save me more than you earn.

Comment

I am freelance and basically do whatever anyone's prepared to pay me for. In some form this relates to educational management (training managers, writing about management, managing or otherwise being involved in education related projects, occasionally academic director of a teacher training campus). I also do a bit of teacher training and once in a while intercultural communication training

Comment

"Senior Counsel" at the same large international law firm that I was at when I first showed up here (though I was then resident in Europe).

The title means that I now get to choose what I do (primarily pro bono public international law projects), no longer am expected to be in the office regularly and don't have to bill my time.

The improvement in quality of life has been massively worth the significant cut in income.
                                Last edited by ursus arctos; 17-04-2019, 17:36.

Comment

As an old man, I don't understand half of what people have written here. I don't even understand what I do.

ad hoc could have written what he does in binary code, I'd have been none the wiser.
                                  Last edited by treibeis; 17-04-2019, 17:48.

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
                                    Yes. I'd employ you. €12.50 an hour and all the food and drink you want. But you have to save me more than you earn.
                                    Sorry, you want management accounting, next left.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                      I am freelance and basically do whatever anyone's prepared to pay me for. In some form this relates to educational management (training managers, writing about management, managing or otherwise being involved in education related projects, occasionally academic director of a teacher training campus). I also do a bit of teacher training and once in a while intercultural communication training
                                      Am I mistaken, or were you involved in the ESL or TEFL fields at some point, or even now? Or am I misremembering?

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post

Am I mistaken, or were you involved in the ESL or TEFL fields at some point, or even now? Or am I misremembering?
                                        Yes I still am mostly. The bulk of the stuff I do relates to management in language education specifically

Comment

Part-time Director of a community publisher. Part-time Trainer of teachers/youth workers/arts workers in things called Arts Award and Artsmark. Part-time arts project manager for anybody who wants a part-time arts project manager - at the moment one of those is at a fishing museum in Brighton.

Somehow, it adds up a a living, of sorts.

Comment

Assistant Professor Data Mining.

My contract says that 50% of my time should go to research, 30% to teaching, and 20% to project management. I'm on the tenure track, which means that I get to do this job for two more years and four more months, and then the university decides whether to give me a permanent contract. This decision is mostly based on my ability to attract funding, so the remaining time will be devoted to 30% teaching, 70% writing grant proposals. Research will have to wait until 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post

Sorry, you want management accounting, next left.
                                              All right, €13.50 an hour. But you then have to tell people to fuck off.

Thinking about it, you'd probably give me €13.50 an hour to tell people to fuck off.

Comment

The first "jobs" I had were:

When I was 18 or so I worked for the local council as a sort of odd-job man: I weeded car parks and the main square; I worked in a couple of car parks themselves helping to take the money; I accompanied refuse lorry drivers to the local tip (10 minutes to the tip; a good hour in a café on the way back); I helped to put up road signs; I handed a joiner his tools; I worked in an outdoor swimming pool which had a big tyre floating in it. Apart from these activities, I also participated in tar-spreading, river unblocking. Another temporary post was working at Segontium Training Centre which was a day centre for people with mental and physical disabilities. (This was in September 1981 and I was paid one pound 72 per hour for my services.) And I also did some digging and trowelling at the site of the Segontium Roman Fort in Caernarfon, earning a quid a day for about a fortnight until a few of us were told not to bother coming back the following week as we hadn’t been pulling our weight enough.

Since then it's been all downhill.

Comment

It looks like you've just cut and pasted that from your Wiki page...

Comment

Working...
                                                  X