Murdoch scum

42-year-old woman arrested by officers investigating phone hacking
    Brooks was born in 1968.

Comment

Murdoch scum

ursus arctos wrote:
      Brooks was born in 1968.
      The Beeb and The Graun are both saying a 43-year-old woman...

And now they've named her...

Comment

Murdoch scum

Gangster Octopus wrote:
        ursus arctos wrote:
        Brooks was born in 1968.
        The Beeb and The Graun are both saying a 43-year-old woman...
        It's now been confirmed as Brooks by Sky, who ought to now.

The timing isn't entirely bad news for Ms Brooks. since this probably means that she won't be able to answer any questions on hacking in front of the House of Commons Select Committee on Tuesday.

Comment

Murdoch scum

Nef, pricesly what I was thinking.

To quote from the Indy article Sean linked to about Whittingdale;

Committee sources are furious at the suggestion that Ms Brooks will try to close down questioning of her knowledge of hacking while she was News of the World editor by saying she cannot prejudice an ongoing police investigation.

A source said: "If she tries to close down the questioning, the whole world will be watching."

It is understood that the committee has legal advice that as Ms Brooks, and the Murdochs, have not been arrested by officers investigating hacking, they must reveal, under oath, what they knew.

Comment

Murdoch scum

jasoń voorhees wrote:
            Never mind phone hacking, what about the real issues facing Britain?

I would say having very important members of the top law enforcement agency in your country accepting bribes for the location of various government or royal officials would fall under that category.
            Indeed Jason.
            My money on this would be that only a fraction of the people who should go down, do go down.

This is Britain, we don't wash our linen in public like the US and will sweep it under the carpet so we can go back to lecturing the rest of the world.

The Met is rotten and corrupt to the core. The Ethnics and Irish have known this for decades and many English people refuse to believe it despite the numerous scandals and i cannot see this being much different.

Do you see how long they have taken to arrest her and Coulson. It was obvious their collar would be felt at least a fortnight ago yet, they have had plenty of time to burydestroy and threaten potential evidence. And she was arrested by appointment.

Comment

Murdoch scum

The three interested parties have as much to lose on this by attacking each other, NI are on record as admitting to paying police officers for questioning. Senior police officers have gone from gamekeeper to poacher and accepting "hospitality", Journalists whose newspapers are under investigation are being hired by the met as PR Consultans. David Cameron meeting exec every two weeks since becoming Prime Minister.

Journalist being arrested by appointment (on a Sunday) having given weeks to sort her story out.

My question is, what has Glenn Mulcaire and the Royal Journalist who went jail had to say and why are they not summoned to account by the select comittee.

Comment

Murdoch scum

Is anyone watching Sky News, there is a picture of her in the top right hand corner and she has, as we say in the hood, a proper screwface.

Comment

Murdoch scum

You wanna see somethin' ? I'ma show you somethin. There you go. Isn't that somethin ? THAT'S A BEAUTIFUL THING.

Comment

Murdoch scum

Poor Rupert's the victim, you know.

Comment

Murdoch scum

What an absolute load of old bullshit that piece is. Does the writer have form?

Comment

Murdoch scum

Met COMMISIONER Stephenson has resigned.

And Channel 4 announce that the Serious Fraud Office are looking at News International

Comment

Murdoch scum

Paul Stephenson has resigned. Wow. A police officer resigning - that never happens, the bastards just take early retirement. Uncharted waters.

Comment

Murdoch scum

Full statement here

This seems to be directly aimed at Cameron and Boris Johnson.

Unlike Mr Coulson, Mr Wallis had not resigned from News of the World or, to the best of my knowledge been in any way associated with the original phone hacking investigation.

Secondly, once Mr Wallis's name did become associated with Operation Weeting, I did not want to compromise the Prime Minister in any way by revealing or discussing a potential suspect who clearly had a close relationship with Mr Coulson. I am aware of the many political exchanges in relation to Mr Coulson's previous employment - I believe it would have been extraordinarily clumsy of me to have exposed the Prime Minister, or by association the Home Secretary, to any accusation, however unfair, as a consequence of them being in possession of operational information in this regard. Similarly, the Mayor. Because of the individuals involved, their positions and relationships, these were I believe unique circumstances.

Comment

Murdoch scum

Bloody hell, that Brendan O'Connor character writing in The Independent really sticks it to the strawmen, doesn't he? Did the editors of The Independent dig him up from a comments section of The Sun?

Apart from his not very good defence of the indefensible, he closes off with a cliché which would suffice for me to fire a columnist: "Watch this space..." Unless the instruction to the reader is to literally (I mean the word "literally" literally) stare at that piece of paper they hold before them, the phrase has no place in the written form. Fucking Brendan O'Connor.

Comment

Murdoch scum

Ah, it seems the cliché-mongering, Murdoch fellating cunt is an Irish comedian. Further to informing us of his favourite book ("it's a page turner", apparently), his wikipedia entry states: "O'Connor is known for his conservative, anti-intellectual, right-wing political views, and puts these across in his articles in the Sunday Independent. Regular targets of O'Connor's ire are Sinn Féin, anti-war protesters (whom he labels disparagingly as 'anti-American'), travellers, public sector workers and students. He dislikes public sector workers describing them as a 'privileged elite'."

He dislikes public sector workers so much, he mentions them twice (yeah, he wrote that wiki entry himself, obviously).

Comment

Murdoch scum

Another quiet day.

Comment

Murdoch scum

Heavyweight Tony McNulty very angry. About Geoffrey Robertson calling the police "stupid".

Comment

Murdoch scum

Like Dunphy, Brendan O'Connor is pretty much a self-parody at this stage, dishing out weekly vitriol in an attempt to cast himself as a "shock jock". Sadly, there's no left-wing Sunday here, so it's either the Sindo or the redtops, but the general rule of thumb is if their line is against a topic, it reinforces personal bias to be for it.

Comment

Murdoch scum

diggedy derek wrote:
                                        Paul Stephenson has resigned. Wow. A police officer resigning - that never happens, the bastards just take early retirement. Uncharted waters.
                                        Interesting to see that the head of the Met sees that being linked to people involved in phone hacking is a resign-worthy offence, when his predecessor didn't feel the same about his officers shooting an innocent man in the head seven times, then covering it up by lying about what had happened.

Comment

Murdoch scum

And when David Cameron takes the view that being linked to people involved in phone-hacking is fine.

Comment

Murdoch scum

Anyone else slightly mystified as to why he's gone so quickly? Apart from the obvious steady build-up of toxic fumes. There seems to be no smoking gun. The closest there is, for me, is the Guardian story that he advised them back in 2009 that Nick Davies was way out of line, at a time when Neil Wallis was quietly on their payroll.

It's slightly odd. I mean, the top policeman in the UK has fallen on his sword, just like that. Perhaps he knew things were going to get worse.

Comment

Murdoch scum

I feel now that this saga definitely could have the power to bring down Cameron. His instincts at every stage with this story have been wrong. He just assumed Coulson and Brooks were good eggs, winners. 'one of us'. A very Tory thing, that.

Comment

Murdoch scum

The Daniel Morgan story is obviously going to become increasingly important. There are two threads tothis story- phone hacking and police corruption with the latter protecting and allowing the former and the bullying and intimidation of politicians and other public figures by the Murdoch press, using the information they got from phone hacking email access and the police computer.

I love Nick "bang to rights" Davies. and the questions he suggests the select committee should ask Rupert James and Rebekah.

Comment

Murdoch scum

I get the sense that a lot of the responses to Stephenson's resignation are a little bewildered. There's a common theme of pointing to his integrity, a man known for his sense of honour, etc etc etc. They're hedging their bets, sensing that something rotten is behind it.

Comment

Murdoch scum

Nefertiti2 – yes, a lot of it points back there. Not least for Rebekah Brooks, and her involvement in NOTW snoops hassling police investigators back in 2002.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X