No announcement yet.

Murdoch scum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As with all horrible institutions, decent people surely do work there. But just imagine the lies they have to tell themselves to make it all work.

Comment

Interesting thread

https://twitter.com/therickwilson/status/1650833373236019203?s=61&t=xvOireV8JOIS_CpbTtDBow

Comment

Meanwhile, Prince William quietly settles with Rupert for a "large sum of money" while telling his brother to play nice with the tabloids.

All such lovely people.

Comment

I do wonder if you were someone like, say, Steve Scalise, and you're already pissed off with McCarthy and already trying to grab the gavel in an under-the-radar bunfight about the debt ceiling, it might be quite helpful to highlight that McCarthy was in full cahoots with the now disgraced Carlson over the Jan 6 video tapes. All very inside politics, but I don't think it's going to reflect well on Kevin.

Comment

Wilson, interestingly, believes that Carlson can't just waltz on to a rival channel, but can Fox make a non-compete stick? OTOH the redacted stuff is strong Kompromat should Carlson try to hit back at Fox.

I have a feeling Carlson might try to can the shock jock approach (due to the Kompromat) and go back to something like the 'Crossfire' gig, where he's the interviewer or devil's advocate in a deliberately staged face-off where nobody is accountable because it's satire, debate, etc. Or he becomes a backseat driver like Bannon.

re. McCarthy: you'd need a readjustment of the math that got him elected to the gavel. Someone has to switch sides. And you'd need to neutralize the extreme right fringe caucus that would want Rick Scott.

And I'm not yet convinced that Carlson links are toxic for anyone in the House GOP, certainly not with their base. Carlson could be on tape using the n-word and they wouldn't shift.
            Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 25-04-2023, 12:43.

Comment

I don’t know Rick Wilson but that’s very good.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony C View Post
                I don’t know Rick Wilson but that’s very good.

If, before the events at the Capitol on 06/01/21, he predicted a riot, I'll be very impressed.

Comment

The Sun hacked William Windsor
                  https://twitter.com/jamesdoleman/status/1650850954474921984?s=46&t=YI7o5ySvkUFeH9wYqo9Ogg

The two great lawless bully fraud institutions that dominate British public life in cahoots to prevent the public knowing the level of one‘s misbehaviour

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                    Fox learned nothing from Roger Ailes' downfall. The misogyny and racism is institutional and you wonder if any men there disengage from it given that they have a green light to do as they please, partly because they support a politician who also engages in it.
                    They learned that they can just keep doing it and it won't have any material impact on their business. Worst case scenario, they pay $700m and their stock loses 3% and they have to replace one fascist dickhead with another.

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
                      The Sun hacked William Windsor
                      https://twitter.com/jamesdoleman/status/1650850954474921984?s=46&t=YI7o5ySvkUFeH9wYqo9Ogg

The two great lawless bully fraud institutions that dominate British public life in cahoots to prevent the public knowing the level of one‘s misbehaviour
                      I admire Harry's recklessness.

Comment

Got nothing to lose

theres nothing that they can do to him now that they haven’t done already.

given the way his mother died I imagine he’s not inclined to forgive , and unlike his brother has no (t)reason to settle

more here

https://twitter.com/briancathcart/status/1650820063589482496?s=46&t=YI7o5ySvkUFeH9wYqo9Ogg

Comment

Very silly decision not to apologize when they could have done with fairly minimal consequences in 2017, but then they wouldn't have had these last 6 years of race-baiting newspaper sales (especially given they were competing with the Mail and Express for that anti-Meghan racist market).
                          Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 25-04-2023, 14:40.

Comment

https://twitter.com/ElijahCone/status/1650568071675797511?s=20

Comment

The Carlson texts and recordings aren't Kompromat (one of the dumbest terms to enter the political discourse here in recent memory).

They are evidence in on-going (and likely future) litigation that is going to cost Fox a lot of money (though not as much as Dominion). Firing him is a classic litigation response.

I don't think the non-compete is particularly relevant. Neither Newsmax nor OAN has anywhere near the reach of Fox News, and he has already been fired by the other networks.

Comment

People are laughing at Carlson, indeed there are many memes poking fun at those who were silly enough to think of him as a man of integrity or a serious journalist, and yet to me it feels like laughing at a fly who has just finished feasting on the bloated corpse that is television news. My initial response isn't an immediate one of 'hyuk hyuk hyuk', it's quite the opposite.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Delicieux View Post
                                  People are laughing at Carlson, indeed there are many memes poking fun at those who were silly enough to think of him as a man of integrity or a serious journalist, and yet to me it feels like laughing at a fly who has just finished feasting on the bloated corpse that is television news. My initial response isn't an immediate one of 'hyuk hyuk hyuk', it's quite the opposite.
                                  Actually I’m okay with anyone laughing it up to their heart’s content. I certainly did when Trump lost in 2020, Johnson was canned last year or Prince Andrew coughed up £12m he didn’t have. Seeing vile people humiliated publicly is pretty much all we have. We know they may return triumphant again, we realise that their lives of undeserved power and privilege have only been fleetingly disturbed and we are aware that their innate sense of entitlement will doubtless be satisfied again at our expense in the future. It’s how the world works. So laugh now, while you can. I think you’re honour bound to do so.
                                  Last edited by Tony C; 25-04-2023, 16:30.

Comment

I understand that, sympathise to a degree maybe, but I think I'll stick to comedy over farce.

Comment

How does firing Carlson make Fox less liable in litigation? Is Fox still not just as guilty of the offences?

Comment

Originally posted by Tony C View Post

Actually I’m okay with anyone laughing it up to their heart’s content. I certainly did when Trump lost in 2020, Johnson was canned last year or Prince Andrew coughed up £12m he didn’t have. Seeing vile people humiliated publicly is pretty much all we have. We know they may return triumphant again, we realise that their lives of undeserved power and privilege have only been fleetingly disturbed and we are aware that their innate sense of entitlement will doubtless be satisfied again at our expense in the future. It’s how the world works. So laugh now, while you can. I think you’re honour bound to do so.
                                        Any day that a Carlson, Johnson or Trump is humiliated is a great day.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                          How does firing Carlson make Fox less liable in litigation? Is Fox still not just as guilty of the offences?
                                          They can argue to a jury that they took remedial action when they became aware of the behaviour. Which in turn can reduce the volume of punitive damages the jury awards.

There is obviously no guarantee that it works, but it does happen rather frequently.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Beast View Post

Any day that a Carlson, Johnson or Trump is humiliated is a great day.
                                            It's great he's gone, but humiliated? Carlson has had a soapbox for 7 years and has gotten to sow the seeds he'd been looking to sow in that time. I think he'll somehow come out of this okay in the end.

Comment

Of course he’ll come out of it ok. They all will. That’s why a bad day for scum like him will be celebrated and if he and his dumb fanboys are unhappy then I’m very happy.

Comment

Someone (Lachlan? One of the other kids? All of them?) is working very hard to make sure the "Murdoch Increasingly Erratic" narrative is getting out there.

Two examples

https://twitter.com/semaforben/status/1650636837252214786?s=20

https://twitter.com/gabrielsherman/status/1650964676606324736?s=20

From the second

The 92-year-old mogul’s broken engagement is part of a string of erratic decisions he has made of late that raises questions about Murdoch’s leadership of his media empire. According to sources, executives at Fox are worried about Murdoch’s unsteady hand at the wheel of the company. “It’s like the King is senile but no one wants to say anything,” the source said. According to two sources, Fox settled with Dominion moments before the trial was set to begin because Fox’s lawyers didn’t want Murdoch to testify in public. “They were hoping and praying to settle for months, but they didn’t want to pay up,” the second source said. Once the trial began, the lawyers told Fox execs that Murdoch would be “disgraced on the stand, run out of the boardroom, and his testimony will expose him as a lunatic sliding into senility.”

Comment

Maybe this belongs on the Succession thread.

Comment

Have cross-posted it

Comment

Working...
                                                    X