Longform

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Longform

An aggregator of really long articles about really interesting things.

Here.

Longform

I thought you were starting a thread on the Census. Six months late.

Comment

Longform

There's also longreads.com.

And it's worth mentioning the very useful instapaper.com which allows you to save articles to read later, and to export collections of them to e-reader formats.

Comment

Longform

I love that site. I hope it will encourage more magazines and newspapers to publish longform journalism.

(Speaking of which, what are some good non-U.S. sources for such writing? I find longform journalism in Harper's, The Atlantic, the New Yorker, the New York Times Magazine, and occasionally elsewhere, but the U.K. magazines and newspapers I read online don't seem to do much of it.)

Also, it's been mentioned on another thread, but if any readers of this thread didn't see it, be sure to check out Lawrence Wright's article about Scientology in the New Yorker.

Comment

Longform

Cheers. Signed up for the instapaper. Very easy to sign up and use.
          That New Yorker article took ages to read, but was quite good.

Comment

Longform

London Review of Books is mostly subscriber content, but it does seem to have a few open access essays each month.

Comment

Longform

I might as well put this in here, since I was going to start a thread about it, but never did...if you like Instapaper, I would recommend Readability as well.

www.readability.com/

Readability works in two ways--you can drag a button onto your browser toolbar and click on it to remove ads and other stuff from a webpage and read an article without any clutter on the page. Apple adapted this script for an option in their Safari browser recently.

The second thing with Readability is a subscription service that collects articles you want to read later, like with Instapaper. Why pay for something like Instapaper when you can sign up for Instapaper for free? Readability is taking 70% of the subscription fees and will distribute them to the publishers of the articles you've saved in that month. The subscription fee starts at $5 per month, but you can contribute more if you're feeling generous. Readability is also going to have an iOS app designed by the guy behind Instapaper (the two seem very similar, but they don't seem to be competing). Here's an interview with the someone from Readability. If you can't tell, I've already signed up and I'm loving it so far.

Comment

Longform

Yeah, Readability is great. I find myslef clicking it for almost any news site I use, now.

I'll definitely have a look at the subscription option.

Comment

Longform

Big up from me — again — for The Believer. and McSweeney's publishing ventures in general.

Comment

Longform

I've been using ReadItLater, a competitor to Instapaper, for some time. Great for saving long articles to read on the tube home.

Comment

Longform

Readability got a lot of attention today when they announced that their iOS app, to be given free to Readability subscribers as a complement to their desktop service, was rejeced by Apple for not complying with Apple's new in-app subscription model. They put up an open letter to Apple.

Mashable has a good overview of this and what it means for other iOS apps that are part of a bigger service offered by developers.

Comment

This is a fascinating piece about NotPetya the story which was unknown to me of the computer worm that brought dozens of large companies to their knees and did at least $10billion worth of damage https://www.wired.com/story/notpetya...shed-the-world

Comment

Is this thread a good place to put it? In hindisght it seems like a thread about places where you will find long articles rather than actual long articles

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                            This is a fascinating piece about NotPetya the story which was unknown to me of the computer worm that brought dozens of large companies to their knees and did at least $10billion worth of damage https://www.wired.com/story/notpetya...shed-the-world
                            That's a great story. But when I came across this bit, after Maersk discover they couldn't restore any back ups because the crucial domain controllers appeared to have all been taken out simultaneously...

"After a frantic search that entailed calling hundreds of IT admins in data centers around the world, Maersk’s desperate administrators finally found one lone surviving domain controller in a remote office—in Ghana. At some point before NotPetya struck, a blackout had knocked the Ghanaian machine offline, and the computer remained disconnected from the network. It thus contained the singular known copy of the company’s domain controller data left untouched by the malware—all thanks to a power outage. "

...it gave me a massive Battlestar Galactica earworm, or whatever the word equivalent is.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                              Is this thread a good place to put it? In hindisght it seems like a thread about places where you will find long articles rather than actual long articles
                              I had started a long article current reading thread in Books, but it didn't really take off.

Comment

Working...
                              X