No announcement yet.

Who likes looking at maps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

not a map exactly but a beautiful spatial infographic and lovely thread about its making

https://twitter.com/adolfux/status/1636026798894104578?s=20

Comment

Wales and Wallachia (and many other similar words) are derived from the same word (better resolution here https://mapsontheweb.zoom-maps.com/image/186978012671 )

wallachia.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
        Wales and Wallachia (and many other similar words) are derived from the same word (better resolution here https://mapsontheweb.zoom-maps.com/image/186978012671 )

wallachia.jpg
        Interesting to think of the countries that are defined by the neigbours as being foreign, compared to the countries that get to define themselves

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post

wallachia.jpg
          Aren't Galicia and indeed Portugal from the same derivation? Maybe they're just not part of this study.
          Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 16-03-2023, 14:59.

Comment

Portugal is named after the Romans' name for the city that is now Porto, and is a combination of two words meaning ... well, 'port', for one, and no one quite knows what 'cale' (where the 'gal' comes from) meant. But not the same, no. Galicia might be closer, although its Wiki page doesn't quite seem to land on that conclusion (assuming you're talking about the one in Spain).

I don't have a good etymological dictionary to hand, but I'm struck by the similarity between the 'gal' root and the word 'wall', the latter of which is something that separates insiders from outsiders.

Comment

Interesting to note that the Arabic word for an orange is roughly transliterated as bortugal.
              Last edited by Sporting; 17-03-2023, 06:13.

Comment

Turkish - portakal
                Romanian - portocale

Comment

Map of a fruit fly brain
                  Can't upload a picture for some reason

Comment

The volume of work that went into that project is quite staggering

There are only a few brain maps, or connectomes, available today. Those that exist are for simple animals, such as worms or sea squirts, which have a few hundred neurons.

You need expensive equipment to map brains, such as powerful electron microscopes to image the tiny synapses between neurons, each measuring roughly 10 billionth of a metre. Synapses are junctions where neurons communicate with each other. Even for simple brains, it takes years to reconstruct neural roadways, synapses and neurons.

In a recent study published in Science, my co-authors and I mapped a fruit fly larva (Drosophila melanogaster) brain with 3,016 neurons and more than half a million synaptic sites. These insects are surprisingly complex. Fruit fly larvae can feel pain, form good and bad memories, and work in a team with their neighbours to forage for food.

Comment

https://twitter.com/AddictMap/status/1639507995808911360?t=7fCeY1EIorIdTNbygFuuvw&s=19

Comment

The disputes tribunal would sit forever on that one. American universities could claim lots of non-American prize winners, Britain likewise if fewer.

East Timor (as was) beats Indonesia. Ouch.

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
                          The disputes tribunal would sit forever on that one. American universities could claim lots of non-American prize winners, Britain likewise if fewer.

East Timor (as was) beats Indonesia. Ouch.
                          I've seen Hungarian sites that claim a wide range of numbers for Hungary. One such site tried to claim Elie Wiesel (who is from Transylvania, but born in 1928 when it was in Romania, and "lived in Hungary" from 1940-1944 when with Nazi support, Transylvania was briefly moved back to Hungary. Then of course once the Germans moved in properly he was deported to Auschwitz. You could, at a big stretch say his parents were Hungarian, since Maramures was in Hungary when they were born, but you know the claim is not even a tenuous one.

Comment

https://twitter.com/ChristiCorvus/status/1639182767484473349?s=20

(Reading the thread and comments below, some of these numbers are pretty low, but still, it's an interesting map)

Comment

I'm surprised Portuguese doesn't show up more often, but then I'd figure it'd most likely be the third or fourth most spoken in a lot of places.

Comment

All maps using that particular methodology suffer from the fact that local authorities with a significant number of non-English speakers often have a significant number of residents who speak different non-English languages.

A map that noted all authorities that had more than a given quantum of speakers would look quite different. For instance, Barnet would almost certainly be coded for Yiddish.

Comment

On the Nobel Prize map, the figures seem to be taken from the countries identified on the Prize's website, which allows for laureates to "represent" more than one country.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...tes_by_country

A perusal of the US list on that Wiki page makes clear that a significant number of the "US" laureates were not born here, though I believe that they all are/were citizens (as opposed to simply being affiliated with a US university).

Comment

Interesting languages map! I tracked down the data here: Main language (detailed) - Office for National Statistics (ons.gov.uk)

I wouldn't have guessed Spanish as the winner in Cambridge, which it is (in a broadly spread field). Though that owes something to the division between Cantonese, Mandarin and "other Chinese", which between them outnumber Spanish. In particular, for reasons someone more knowledgeable in Chinese language classification may be able to explain, the answer "other Chinese" massively exceeds both Cantonese and Manadarin.

Comment

My uninformed guess is that there is a growing community of immigrants to Cambridge from a region where the native language is "other Chinese".

The largest such community here speaks Fujianese, though given the Hong Kong connection, Hakka might be a runner in Cambridge.

Comment

I like the fact that the winner in Cambridge is Spanish, whilst the winner in Oxford is Portuguese. Maybe the two universities should find something they can have a Treaty of Tordesillas about.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                          All maps using that particular methodology suffer from the fact that local authorities with a significant number of non-English speakers often have a significant number of residents who speak different non-English languages.

A map that noted all authorities that had more than a given quantum of speakers would look quite different. For instance, Barnet would almost certainly be coded for Yiddish.
                                          Don’t think there’s much Yiddish in Barnet . The Charedi are really centred around Stanford Hill which is Hackney spilling into Haringey.
                                          Recently a group of Charedi have moved to Canvey Island as Stanford Hill gets gentrified.

Comment

Ah, you would know better

Comment

except about the fourth letter in the place name Stamford Hill. More seriously, interesting, thanks Nef. I assume that, as ursus pointed out earlier, the result is partly driven by the overall numbers of speakers of other languages in a particular locality, which I expect are pretty low in Canvey Island.

Comment

Stamford Hill , yes apologies. My spellcheck appears to have a strong Palo Alto bias

a couple of articles about the Charedis of Canvey island

And here

Comment

Some sad context to the appearance of Filipino on the map, in Furness (it doesn't really explain why this seems to be unique to Furness though) :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/cumbria/conten..._feature.shtml

Comment

Strava officially recognises French velociraptor as the largest GPS drawing ever made by bike

Comment

Working...
                                                    X