Who likes looking at maps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post

Scotland is a third of the island of Britain, the island of Ireland a bit larger than Scotland. I'm not sure Mercator is over representing them that much at all.
    Surely not...

Last edited by jdsx; 05-03-2023, 14:08. Reason: Edited to add the previous comment (as this is the start of a new page for me)

Comment

Hahaha the BBC bIaSeD mApS! I'd forgot about them.

Comment

Scotland is a third of the island of Britain, the island of Ireland a bit larger than Scotland. I'm not sure Mercator is over representing them that much at all.
        I meant that the data that Mercator used is thought to have been supplied by a Scottish Catholic Priest called John Elder and the selection of places is both pro-Catholic and pro-Scottish. The later version of Ireland in the British library is (even) less accurate and take a colonial view of Ireland

Comment

I'm not sure what you mean by pro Catholic and pro Scottish? Were more Scottish touns listed than there should have been? Was Dunkeld represented as a heaving parish metropolis?

Comment

Some context here

https://www.bl.uk/onlinegallery/ttp/...es19and20.html

Comment

I'm not sure what you mean by pro Catholic and pro Scottish? Were more Scottish touns listed than there should have been? Was Dunkeld represented as a heaving parish metropolis?
              you could just click the link you know. Thanks ursus arctos for helping out.

Comment

The article you never linked to. I did click the Irish one. But thanks ursus.

Comment

The article you never linked to. I did click the Irish one. But thanks ursus.
                  Apologies- forgotten what was on which page..

Comment

So apparently I come from Motherham. Worth remembering.

Still it's not as good as Ripon becoming Kyppo...

Comment

Excellent! I come from halfway between Wodftock and Scippyng northon.

Could Shakespeare really be from Stretford, though?

Comment

How English local government would have been organised under the Redcliffe-Maud Report:

Comment

The Wikipedia page on it has this gem:

The Rural District Councils Association was immediately opposed to the proposals which would see their members subsumed in much larger authorities. They started a national campaign with the slogan "Don't Vote for R.E. Mote" (with Mr R.E. Mote depicted as an insensitive bureaucrat), distributing material to all their members. The slogan was used on postal franking from the affected authorities. Swale Rural District Council was forced to opt out of the campaign due to the similarity of "R.E. Mote" with the local Conservative prospective parliamentary candidate R.D. Moate. By coincidence, Moate had moved the motion opposing Redcliffe-Maud at the Conservative Party conference

(Moate would later be one of John Major's "bastards").

Comment

Shame that this image is not clearer. (Topical, as tomorrow is the day that Hungarians celebrate the 1848 revolution)
                            https://twitter.com/johnpaul_newman/status/1635647244752805888?s=20

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                              The Wikipedia page on it has this gem:

The Rural District Councils Association was immediately opposed to the proposals which would see their members subsumed in much larger authorities. They started a national campaign with the slogan "Don't Vote for R.E. Mote" (with Mr R.E. Mote depicted as an insensitive bureaucrat), distributing material to all their members. The slogan was used on postal franking from the affected authorities. Swale Rural District Council was forced to opt out of the campaign due to the similarity of "R.E. Mote" with the local Conservative prospective parliamentary candidate R.D. Moate. By coincidence, Moate had moved the motion opposing Redcliffe-Maud at the Conservative Party conference

(Moate would later be one of John Major's "bastards").

Which reminds me of this: https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news...o-fire-expert/

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                Shame that this image is not clearer.]
                                A shame indeed, and yet the resolution there is quite superior to the versions available online from the University of Vienba of the German Digital Library.

Comment

Early 6th-century Britain:

Comment

Interesting melange of English, Welsh and Latin in the annotation.

Comment

I believe Elmet is wingco country

Comment

This is... bizarrely interesting. Hokkaido especially (that's before we get to the surprising location of New Zealand)

https://twitter.com/xruiztru/status/1635374783939629057?s=20

Comment

Sakhalin too

I wonder what there methodology was.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                            Sakhalin too

I wonder what there methodology was.
                                            I think the key thing (and possibly not well named) is the "native" bit, which clearly refers to indigenous (hence, for example, the Americas being very different from Europe)

I think in Japan there is a group called the Ainu?

Comment

Yes, but I had thought they were also indigenous to Sakhalin

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                                Yes, but I had thought they were also indigenous to Sakhalin
                                                Wiki says
                                                The indigenous peoples of the island are the Ainu, Oroks, and Nivkhs, who are now present in very small numbers.
                                                which I guess explains the difference (I presume that the other two groups are less hairy than the Ainu)

Comment

Obviously ridiculous Victorian beardoness has filtered done from hipsters to salt of the earth ubiquity in both Scotland and Ireland's young fellas, but what? I have Pan like legs but mere wispy down on me chest personally. I somehow doubt the English are naturally less hairy, esp as they've a higher proportion of darker haired folks.
                                                  Last edited by Lang Spoon; 15-03-2023, 16:44.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post

I think the key thing (and possibly not well named) is the "native" bit, which clearly refers to indigenous (hence, for example, the Americas being very different from Europe)

I think in Japan there is a group called the Ainu?
                                                    Thank you for pointing this out, because I missed it on first reading and was wondering whether they'd ever so much as looked at a Latin American man.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X