Who likes looking at maps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

What's the defining factor that gets a cheese on here? It's not dop is it?

Comment

It seems highly random, to be frank

Comment

I've never seen Dunlop cheese anywhere. The Sardinian one seems to have been chosen for gross out value rather than actual popularity or it would be pecorino Sardo.

Comment

I agree with the Cabrales.

Comment

https://twitter.com/dewndeym/status/1561040532490649600?s=21&t=UsIrgi9jcsfT4mNeObFXpg

Comment

https://twitter.com/Loca1ion/status/1566845686879924224?t=t3TaO0sLMjr-RZONUjnryQ&s=19

Comment

That's excellent. I had absolutely no idea of the extent of the low plains in the north and the high ground in the centre and south.

Comment

https://twitter.com/Pseudo_Isidore/status/1568886010846629888?t=U8mqf8wouObKAIy8QYjc-g&s=19

I absolutely love this. More than any other map in this thread.

When I was growing up we had a series of Ordinance Survey X English Heritage maps for different periods. Like a map of Roman Britain for example. It's bugged me for at least thirty years that these historical maps used modern coastlines and river routes.

Like the medieval one had the cinque ports marked, but Rye and winchelsea were in there modern landlocked locations.

Comment

IKEA's crimes against cartography

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
                        I read this and am emboldened in my life-long ambition to never ever enter one of these awful stores.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

I read this and am emboldened in my life-long ambition to never ever enter one of these awful stores.

That's a shame.

I'd pay good money to see a film recording and tracking your increasing incomprehension and horror as you walked through one.

Comment

https://twitter.com/RogersHistory/status/1581610302856081410?t=BgvKl_W4ZkJCBU73QABWbw&s=19

Comment

That's great, but it would be much better if one could control the speed. I'd like to try it at something slower than a quarter as fast. I assume that facility is unavailalbe?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post
                                  That's great, but it would be much better if one could control the speed. I'd like to try it at something slower than a quarter as fast. I assume that facility is unavailalbe?
                                  I'd assume there'd be a browser extension that'd let you do that. Or failing that, see if there's one that would let you download the clip and then play it back in VLC at a reduced speed.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post

I'd assume there'd be a browser extension that'd let you do that. Or failing that, see if there's one that would let you download the clip and then play it back in VLC at a reduced speed.
                                    Also in 1956 it claims that Romania Hungary Bulgaria and Poland were all part of the Soviet Union whilst Germany (East and West) Austria and Northern Italy were one country.
                                    Last edited by Nefertiti2; 18-10-2022, 10:24.

Comment

Looking parochially, I wouldn't always agree on the borders of "Scotland" at various stages.

Comment

The political map of Ireland at the arrival of the Normans, the italics refers to sub-kingdoms:

Comment

Wexford is shaded because it was the heartland of Diarmaid McMurrough, who introduced Strongbow to Leinster.

Comment

When I was in school, it was made clear to us what a treacherous little bollix Mc Murrough was.

Comment

That implies that in c.800AD Ireland had a population of about 50,000 people and wherever you lived, your grandad had the same surname as everyone else's.

Comment

As far as there were surnames at all they denoted who the Big Man of the petty kingdom was. That map is from the 1100s btw.

Comment

https://twitter.com/seniormushroom/status/1583100915401502722?s=61&t=fV_p3i775iVGXjROMdE6fg

Comment

Anyone care to venture a suggestion as to what the Chinese view of the Swedes is all about?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X