More Facebook c***ery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post

Out of interest, how many other people on here didn't notice anything wrong at all? Except that some of the ads on sites I normally visit had disappeared.
    If there hadn't been any news about it I wouldn't have noticed, though I do use Whatsapp. Not enough to actually notice if I don't receive any messages for a few hours though.

Comment

https://twitter.com/ohhkaygo/status/1444823027368316930?s=19

Comment

Reminds me of the AI who was fed conversational topics by Twitter.

Comment

Rage drives engagement

Comment

Not to defend the algorithm, but you'll get plenty of QAnon and white genocide just from Fox.

Comment

They do it because it works

Comment

It is a really interesting situation and they have misjudged it hugely. The one bit I think Haugen slightly misses is that they have chosen to maximize short term profits. Because they completely underestimated the level of regulatory burden they are set to encounter.

Comment

Who could have predicted that Nick Clegg would lack judgement and a long term view?

Comment

The focus on short term profits is even more endemic in the Valley than it is on Wall Street

And often it isn't even profits, but other metrics that can support higher valuations

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                      The focus on short term profits is even more endemic in the Valley than it is on Wall Street

And often it isn't even profits, but other metrics that can support higher valuations

I presume that we're talking about Silicon Valley rather than the San Fernando Valley?

Comment

Oh, for certain. My friend has one of the worst jobs in the world at Google which is monetizing things. It seems a daily struggle for him to explain exponential growth at zero revenue and non-zero cost... isn't great.

Clegg's work with the advisory board might help convince everyone that internal governance of any company runs a wide range from effective to outright laughable.

Comment

Yes, given that it is relevant to the conversation

I also wasn't referring to Charlton's ground

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                            Yes, given that it is relevant to the conversation

I also wasn't referring to Charlton's ground

Yeh, given the San Fernando Valley's reputation in certain quarters, I was riffing on the "other metrics" comment of your post.

But if we're going to play it straight, is Silicon Valley commonly referred to as "The Valley" then? In a US context I've only ever heard that moniker used for its LA neighbour.
                            Last edited by Nocturnal Submission; 05-10-2021, 15:05.

Comment

The Valley has become perfectly acceptable. Valleywag started in 2006 which probably helped the shortening of the name.

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
                                The Valley has become perfectly acceptable. Valleywag started in 2006 which probably helped the shortening of the name.

Fair enough.

Comment

Scuttlebutt from the DevOps team at work is that the likely culprit for the outage is issues with FB's custom-built peering automation.

For those wondering what that might be: https://engineering.fb.com/2021/05/2...ng-automation/

Comment

An appropriate response to yesterday's event:
                                    The social giant’s temporary disappearance means absolutely nothing.

Comment

I just had to go back to the first page of the thread to remind myself why I started it all those years ago. The loss of what I assume was an image I uploaded in the OP made that confusing until I scrolled down a couple of replies and it became apparent they'd locked me out of my account for no reason unless I gave them a phone number.

Anyway, this is to say that when I started the thread in a fit of annoyance I obviously wasn't thinking about how long it might remain relevant, but in hindsight it actually seems pretty amazing that eleven years later we're only on page 6.

Comment

There have been a number of other threads in the interim, but I always return to this one because it has the most appropriate title.

Comment

Referring to the San Fernando Valley as "the Valley" is a strictly LA thing. It doesn't even extend as far south as San Diego (in part because of Mission Valley). Nor does it work at all in the Central Valley.

Its use to mean Silicon Valley was local to the Bay Area in the 80s, but has been national at least since the first crash, especially among finance, media, law and other professional types that have dealings with the area and its corporate denizens. It has even becoming thing among such people in Italian.

Comment

Interesting counterpoint to the piece that Amor posted

https://twitter.com/telliotter/status/1445488776139051016?s=21

Comment

In Mexico, 90% of people use WhatsApp,”
                                              The reason I got WhatsApp was to communicate with my friend after she moved to Mexico. I've only ever used it to text people in that country.

Edit: maybe this would be of interest to steveeeeeeeee, if he's not already aware of it.

Comment

Whatsapp is pretty much the vehicle of choice for international communication by text I have found. Mostly because cell phone companies were too greedy.

Comment

I frequently get work contacts who request to use WhatsApp rather than (my preference) email

Comment

Yes, what dglh said.

I think that ms ursus may be my only US-based What's App contact and we only use it when one of us is abroad.

Which also explains why my What's App usage has fallen precipitously during the pandemic.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X