Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The WTF? Thread

ursus arctos wrote:
    I've been 6'1" since I was about 16, but yes, that's what my bag looked like. Except it was black.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

I see more and more kids with those little rolling suitcases these days. Like roll-on luggage, but kid-themed. A bit shit, but better for their backs.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

How many books did you lot have to carry?
        We'd fit all ours in a bag a fifth of the size of that. In fact there was a craze for a while to use a canvascotton cash bag - the ones that banks use - and that was quite big enough.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Depends based on your schedule. Some American school students have the same classes every day, some have one or two every day and one or two longer class sessions with alternating classes (this is what I had in high school--something like Spanish every day, then math and history, then English and a science class, in longer blocks that alternated).

Books for math and science classes could be huge. You could be carrying four books about this size:

Every day. And if your English class was using a Norton Anthology, god help you.

Sometimes a class would have a classroom set of the textbooks, but most of the time we would have to bring our books with us. I can imagine that with the continuing budget cuts, kids have to bring all their books with them for the day.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

US schools (and universities, for that matter) seem to be much more reliant on textbooks than English ones, though I admit my own experience is probably not representative.

The only text books I can remember using at the equivalent of high school were for languages and science. You'd have the set texts for English as well, of course, but only one at a time.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

I'd agree with that.

It is in part attributable to the controls that many states put on curricula, with the result that only approved texts can be used.

At least in my experience, it is much less the case at university, but then I never took any "survey" courses. Law school is ridiculous because of casebooks, which are massive (it was weird being over 30 and still having (and needing) a locker).

Comment

The WTF? Thread

All hell breaks loose in Ohio.

http://bit.ly/mYX0Bi

Comment

The WTF? Thread

I had a math text that was big, whatever book we were reading in English, some years there was a master history text that was huge plus various other books for that, a science text or two, separate notebooks for every class, and god knows how many assorted handouts, pens, a graphing calculator, and a gun, of course.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Last week, an elderly woman visiting her dying husband in a Niagara Region hospital fell in the hallway on the ward, breaking her hip. Staff nurses told her that they were 'not allowed' to pick her up, and that she should call 911.

The ambulance attendants arrived at the ward 1/2 hour later and took her down to emergency and admitted her. That's WTF #1.

WTF #2 was yesterday, when they had the hospital president/ administrator/ chief on the phone with the CBC. He said, and I quote, "This is one of those incidents where all the holes in the Swiss cheese lined up in an unfortunate way."

I sincerely hope he's writing his CV tomorrow.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

WOM, that does sound crazy and wtf but here's the thing.

The ward in which the lady fell would most likely not have the necessary equipment to immobilise her. So best not to move her until someone arrives with said equipment (and specific expertise). The options now are, call for accident/emergency dept staff to come and deal with the lady, or call an ambulance. Emergency dept is probably busy and/or a long way from the patient.

Calling an ambulance to a hospital may seem strange but it happens quite often.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Yeah, I suspected it might be as much. I read something this morning that said it had more to do with a hospital policy regarding 'liability and insurance', but that the policy had been 'clarified' now and it wouldn't happen again. I'm sure there was no callousness involved, but it does have the stench of WTF all over it.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

I don't get the wtf stench, or the 'liability and insurance' factor.

It's simply that a cancer ward (for example), is as ill equipped to deal with a fractured hip as say, a coffee-shop or supermarket.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Coffeeshops or supermarkets don't have ERs in the same building as them, though. I think a big part of the WTF is more that the hospital staff had her call 911 rather than having ER staff come up and assist her.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Somewhat closer to home, I managed to nick my extension cord when trimming the hedges. (That sentence contains no euphemisms, I should add).

So I trudged off to Home Depot for a new plug, then spent a good 45 minutes shortening the cord, stripping the wires and fitting the replacement plug. When it was all done, I plugged it in to test it out and quickly realized I'd created the rare, but useless, double plug-ended extension cord.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

I actually could have used that cord, WOM, last year when I strung the Christmas lights along the roof with the wrong end of the cord hanging down to where the outlet was.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Peanut Butter Flavoured Vodka.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Worn Old Motorbike wrote:
                                    WTF #2 was yesterday, when they had the hospital president/ administrator/ chief on the phone with the CBC. He said, and I quote, "This is one of those incidents where all the holes in the Swiss cheese lined up in an unfortunate way."

I sincerely hope he's writing his CV tomorrow.
                                    Yes. Not all cheese from Switzerland has holes. Schoolboy error there.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Indeed WE...

Comment

The WTF? Thread

I'll take this opportunity to point out that while the Wikipedia entry for the paradoxe du gruyère (which seems to have been translated as the Swiss cheese paradox) explains the flaws in the syllogism, it doesn't point out that there are in fact no holes in gruyère. Very poor.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Teens Using Vodka-Soaked Tampons To Get Drunk.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

That's been a frat boy EXTREME thing to do for a while now.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Errr, where do the frat boys put them?

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Where you're thinking that they would have to put them. But if you're trying to get wasted or do it on a dare, putting a tampon up your butt is totally not gay.

Of course, this could all be urban myth.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Back to Florida...

Florida police on Friday arrested a person suspected of administering dangerous and illegal butt-boosting shots – injecting at least one woman with a cocktail of substances including cement, glue and tire sealant.
                                                  The person is 30-year-old Oneal Ron Morris, who was born a man but who identifies as a woman. Morris is pictured above.
                                                  Police could not release an official report on the incident, noting that the case is still under investigation. However, Sgt. William Bamford of the Miami Gardens, Fla., Police Department said that the procedure took place in May 2010, after the as-yet-unidentified victim met with Morris to discuss the procedure.
                                                  “They agreed on the price of $700 for the procedure, which was intended for cosmetic purposes,” Bamford said.
                                                  What the woman got for her money was a series of injections containing a bizarre concoction of cement, super glue, mineral oil and Fix-A-Flat tire inflator and sealant, police said.
                                                  Bamford said that the procedure was conducted not in a clinic, but in a residential setting in Miami Gardens, and that shortly after the substance was injected into the woman’s body she developed what Bamford termed “severe complications.”

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Ms. Morris' defense will be based on her client's insistence on getting more junk in her trunk.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X