The WTF? Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The WTF? Thread

Well it is, of course, but that's no reason to ban it.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

So I was strolling down Conduit Street the other day and was stunned to see The East India Company store.

Under the section 'Our Heritage'

Since its creation in 1600 by The Royal Charter granted by Queen Elizabeth I, the influence of The East India Company has been well documented. Without The Company our world would not be as it is today.

It changed the world’s tastes, its thinking, and its people. It created new communities, trading places, cities and shaped countries and commercial routes.

Singapore and Hong Kong were established by The Company and India was shaped and influenced by it. At one point The Company had the largest merchant navy in the world and conducted and controlled 50% of world trade.

With statistics like that it’s easy to forget that at its heart, were real people.

Our heritage is in the spirit of those pioneers. The East India Company’s employees did not set out to change the world. They were people who set sail to establish trade routes, to discover and bring back new goods, and in doing so broke down the barriers of the world.

They were explorers, traders, innovators. They took risks, they broke new ground and they sometimes got it wrong.

They were pioneering; creating many of the means and rules of commerce we use today.

They were individuals, living by the rules of their times – determined, entrepreneurial and human – who were driven by their passion and enthusiasm; the same qualities that drive our team today.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Marcy, son:

There's a new sad rat in town: A giant 3-foot-long rat met its maker at the Marcy Houses recently, when Housing Authority worker Jose Rivera stabbed it multiple times with a pitchfork. The 48-year-old says he believes there are at least two more on the loose out there, which he spotted when filling a rat hole last week.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Policeman blinded by Raoul Moat arrested on suspicion of assault. Well, it made say "What the fuck?"

Comment

The WTF? Thread

read down to the bottom. What the fuck is going on in scotland.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

This probably merits a new thread, but, just read this: you will know, when you get to the WTF moment.

note the rate of pay, but that is not what I mean

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Breakin' up is hard to do.

Prosecutors in The Hague are bringing up stalking charges against a 42-year-old Dutch woman because she apparently called her poor, beleaguered ex-boyfriend 65,000 times in one year.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

That's pretty impressive. 7 times an hour, 24/7.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

I like to think that she used some sort of robo-calling device.

If not, there are boiler rooms all over the world that will be waiting for her when she gets out.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Never mind Stephen Gough, it appears that

banjo playing is on the rise in Scotland

I like how Sun readers need to be shown what a lift looks like.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Sonoma, CA: Beware an unidentified woman offering enemas.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Scary. I will never again let a stranger knocking at my door give me an enema.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Mad salad dresser on the loose!

Flasher kicked out of school.

Marriage becomes web of lies and recriminations.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Charming...

http://www.brooklynpaper.com/stories/34/41/dtg_hasidicsidewalks_2011_10_14_bk.html?comm=1

Why did the Orthodox Jewish woman cross the road? Because a Yiddish sign ordered her.

A bold new religious decree was bolted to street trees this week that orders women to move to the side when a man is walking towards her on the sidewalk.

The red, yellow and white plastic sign, first noted in the Jewish watchdog blog Failed Messiah, is roughly translated, “Precious Jewish daughters, please move over to the side when you see a man come across.”

Orthodox activists said the signs should not be taken seriously.

“There are some hard-core Hasidim in Williamsburg who think they still live in 19th-century Ukraine and they consider interaction between the sexes, in even the most casual, accidental manner to be licentious,” said bike shop owner Baruch Herzfeld. “They are enormous pains in the tuchis, and most people try to avoid conflict, so they often get their way.”

But Hasidic residents say that the sign is being misinterpreted.

“It is very respectful; it’s not ordering you to cross the street — it means, ‘Let him pass head on,’ ” said one Hasidic man who declined to give his name. “There are a lot of people on the street during the holidays, and this is a reminder to let men pass so they don’t go barging into a group of women.”

Parks maintenance workers removed 16 signs on Bedford and Lee avenues between Marcy Avenue and Broadway on Wednesday because they were nailed to trees, a violation of city law subject to a $150 fine.

The signs do not indicate their author, but sources said that they are part of a campaign by a rabbinical group that has printed other “modesty” decrees, including one in June demanding that women not wear tank tops.

Many Hasidic women ignored that fashion advice — but the pedestrian etiquette warning appears to have more weight.

This week, women on Bedford and Lee Avenue could be seen allowing men to pass on several occasions.

“Sometimes a gentle reminder is needed to keep the neighborhood the way it should be and that Jewish values are supposed to be followed,” said one Hasidic woman, who declined to give her name.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Baruch Herzfeld gets it.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Never mind Stephen Gough, it appears that

banjo playing is on the rise in Scotland

I like how Sun readers need to be shown what a lift looks like.

Oi dickhead.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

See the Baseball thread for context.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

They are enormous pains in the tuchis, and most people try to avoid conflict, so they often get their way.”
                                      Did he really say tuchis?

BTW, did anyone else read that piece by Calvin Trilling in The New Yorker (damn, I sound white) about the escalating nastiness between a few Jewish gold traders in Toronto? Holy shit.

Around here, the latest WTF news is that a black bear actually entered somebody's home and fucked them up a bit. Not serious injuries. Very rare. The theory is that the family dog accidentally got too close to the cubs and the mother followed the dog into the house and then got a bit freaked and expressed herself in the only way she knew how.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

I'm sure he really said tuchis.

And yes, the Trillin piece is an example of him at his best.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

How long is the article? That bit online is just a teaser, right?
                                          Omni Jewel and Java is a bizarre operation even to look at it. Russell Oliver is a cheesebag of the first order, but I can't see him being involved in anything hinky. Harold looks like a greaseball in his tv spots.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Ah, I didn't realise that it wasn't the whole thing.

I'll bring in my hard copy next week and scan it.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

I read it in the actual paper magazine during a ridiculously long layover at the Philly airport. A few pages long. I don't recall.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

I have a PDF of it. PM me if you want a copy.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

You guys rock, ya know that?

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Locker chandeliers are real.

Is the economy really so bad in the United States? Because apparently things are good enough for middle school girls to buy things like chandeliers, rugs, and "fashion bins" for their school lockers. The NY Times says that schools are now the "latest frontier in nesting.... Peek inside, and find lockers outfitted with miniature furry carpets, motion-sensor-equipped lamps that glow when the door opens, mirrors, decorative flowers, and magnetic wallpaper in floral and leopard-print patterns."
                                                    Raise. Taxes. Now.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X