The WTF? Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The WTF? Thread

Kenwyne Jones has found a pig's head in his locker, in what the striker's Stoke City team-mate Brek Shea described as "Locker room banter gone wild".

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Eh, not as bad as having Gilbert Arenas mess with your shoes...(though it only turned out to be dog feces).

Comment

The WTF? Thread

One for EIM

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2013/05/17/squirrels_posing_with_objects.html

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Hah, the caption for #5:

Photographer Nancy Rose says she isn’t a “squirrel fanatic” by any means.
          Uh huh.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Can you spare a square ?

Venezuelans are scrounging around for toilet paper. Markets throughout the country have run out, and when they are in stock the rolls fly off the shelves.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

you may not want to click a link to the daily mail, so i will provide a precis here:

Shoplifter's £20,000 trial over claim he stole beef joint to hide it because the meat reminded him of dead grandmother

A shoplifter had an 'unnecessary' £20,000 Crown Court trial over claims he stole a £12 joint of beef because it reminded him of his dead grandmother.

John Casey was caught on camera hiding the roasting joint in a bag at the Asda Washington Galleries store last October and arrested for theft.

But the 51-year-old denied he was being dishonest and said he was simply moving the meat out of sight as it was giving him 'flashbacks' about his grandmother, who died of a blood clot when he was a child.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

The kooky left and the kooky right come together to defeat a water fluoridation measure in Portland, 60-40. Portland is the largest metropolitan area in the US without fluoridation.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Candidate for Mayor of NYC uses Pittsburgh skyline as Website Background.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

most of youse will need google translate for this, but the gist of it is that if you die alone in amsterdam/utrecht/den haag/rotterdam/antwerp with no next of kin, these people will dispatch a poet to recite something nice at your funeral.

how nice is that?!

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Inca, did you see the Hitler tea kettle billboard in Culver City? I rarely get over to that part of town.

I wish I could post an image of it here but am not adept at such things. And now the ad agency has taken the billboard down.

I bet JC Penney's sales do go up though for this tea kettle!

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Martin C wrote: I bet JC Penney's sales do go up though for this tea kettle!
                          Their ad agency is Godwin & Godwin.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Is anyone else getting skyscrapers for American Apparel, but running right down over the middle of the posts?

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Martin C wrote: Inca, did you see the Hitler tea kettle billboard in Culver City? I rarely get over to that part of town.

I wish I could post an image of it here but am not adept at such things. And now the ad agency has taken the billboard down.

I didn't see it, no. I'm guessing it was near the Howard Hughes Parkway shopping center, because that's the only place along the 405 in Culver City where there are billboards. Incidentally, if that's indeed where it was, then it would have been near a big Jewish cemetery, something that I didn't see mentioned in the coverage.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

WOM, dglh and I were getting those for Tempu-Pedic last week, but it hasn't recurred for me so far.

Seemed to only be triggered when I opened up a reply box.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Yes, it's the reply box that does it for me, too.

I went into an American Apparel store once, you know. Looking at price tags, I was sure I was on some kind of Punk'd show.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Here's a little beauty for the WTF thread.
                                    Steinmusic Harmonisers.

How They Work

The working principle is based on quantum physical orientation. As to explain this is not really easy, we like to describe what they do in simple expressions. The air molecules inside of the listening room are ‘jogged’ through the loudspeaker and thus transmit the sound information. In order to elongate the air molecules from their rest position it is necessary to spend energy first. It is much easier to move them if once moving. This phenomenon is similar to static and dynamic friction. To force a heavy piece of rock to move is not an easy task. But if it is once moving it can be much easier shifted further.

The Steinmusic Harmonizer is working very similar, but rather at a level of ethereal states. The air is not moved in reality, but instead will be charged with information, which is causing the same effect. Now it can be elongated from its rest position without much effort and thus is able to transport sound events to the listener’s ear in a completely different quality. This explanation is more or less a working hypothesis, reflecting the trial to illustrate the principle of work of the Harmonizer. It does not claim to be complete, but from our point of view it is first of all the sound wise result what counts and this is really worth the effort.
                                    (My bold.)

Yours for only £1058 the pair. bargain.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Hah, I hope even the biggest spending audiophile would say "are you fucking kidding me?" reading that description.

edit: maybe not - http://www.enjoythemusic.com/superioraudio/equipment/0411/steinmusic_h2_harmonizers_magic_stones.htm

They have "magic stones" also!

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Incandenza wrote:
                                        Originally posted by Martin C
                                        Inca, did you see the Hitler tea kettle billboard in Culver City? I rarely get over to that part of town.

I didn't see it, no. I'm guessing it was near the Howard Hughes Parkway shopping center, because that's the only place along the 405 in Culver City where there are billboards. Incidentally, if that's indeed where it was, then it would have been near a big Jewish cemetery, something that I didn't see mentioned in the coverage.
                                        Yes, that is exactly where it was located Inca. Last night on one of the local newscasts when they talked about the tea kettle ad they did mention the nearby Jewish cemetery but quoted the director of it as saying something to the effect that the picture of the tea kettle did not bother him at all. As you can imagine this furor (I better be careful how I spell that!) was internet driven.

I wonder if they will be selling that tea kettle in Minestead?

Thanks ursus for the posted image.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Hitler Tea Kettle Sells On eBay For At Least $199.99

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Explosive news from one of our old stomping grounds.

Police in Germany are urging train passengers to be wary of ticket machines that they say could explode after being tampered with by thieves.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Other than the Hitler thing, that is an attractive tea kettle and I imagine many people saw the billboard and thought "Ooh, wouldn't it be nice to have a shiny tea kettle and be one of those hip people who drinks tea instead of coffee? Oh, and I feel a sudden urge to annex the Sudetenland. I wonder if JC Penney sells something for that?"

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Like probably everyone else in the world, I had always thought that ‘Tank Man’, the lad that faced down Chinese tanks during the Tiananmen square massacre (the anniversary of which was yesterday), squared up to 4 tanks:

It’s only when you see the uncropped version that your jaw really hits the ground:

An extraordinary photo. He had balls like small moons. No one knows who he was or what happened to him. Some say he was executed, other sources that he melted into the crowd and got away. I really, really, really hope it was the latter.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Did you see that linked from Dangerous Minds yesterday? I never knew that there were multiple photographers all shooting from the same hotel. The iconic photo most reproduced is from an AP photographer--his story about getting the photo is incredible, an unsung hero is the kid who got the rolls of film to the American embassy so they could give them to the AP. Read the story here:

http://lightbox.time.com/2012/06/05/tiananmen/#1

The wider photograph is from a Magnum photographer. I have no idea why it hasn't been reproduced as often as the AP photo.

This is also an engrossing read from other photographers who were there:
                                                  http://lens.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/06/03/behind-the-scenes-tank-man-of-tiananmen/

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Incandenza wrote: The wider photograph is from a Magnum photographer. I have no idea why it hasn't been reproduced as often as the AP photo.
                                                    Scale. The first is scaled properly so that you can see it's a human standing up to a row of tanks. It really doesn't matter how many there are. Four is a good enough representation of a hundred. There's also the zebra crossing and the streetlight to give it an understandable setting.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X