Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post

I'd have to fail first.

Last night I put away a pound of steak, five large potatoes, a large onion, (fried) 200g's of baked beans, 200 g of peas, much butter, and had 100g of dark chocolate for dessert.

I weigh 10 stone 10 lbs.

[nsfw. Includes language we wouldn’t use now, even to portray a bigoted character]
    Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 27-03-2024, 20:30.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
      J. Bowyer Bell was a story unto himself
      Do people really list their clearance levels on resumes? TS at the CIA, DOD and at energy is quite the hattrick. His book is in the house. I recognised it when Tim pat Coogan started waving it around

Comment

Real people do within the "intelligence community" and related industries and poseurs do it outside of that context.

Comment

I'd have to fail first.

Last night I put away a pound of steak, five large potatoes, a large onion, (fried) 200g's of baked beans, 200 g of peas, much butter, and had 100g of dark chocolate for dessert.

I weigh 10 stone 10 lbs.
          That weight information tells us nothing without knowing your height. When I'm 10 stone 10 lbs I'm obese.

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post

That weight information tells us nothing without knowing your height. When I'm 10 stone 10 lbs I'm obese.
            Oops. I'm 6 feet tall If I stand up straight, I have pictures of me being best man at a wedding, and I was 8 1/2 stone. I went from looking like Gru (Never wear a scarf over your over coat, if you've shaved your head. Children can be soooooo cruel) to looking like the spectre of death in a 1930's political cartoon, whereas now I look mostly like I could do with a good feeding up.
            Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 27-03-2024, 22:38.

Comment

He's over six foot.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                Real people do within the "intelligence community" and related industries and poseurs do it outside of that context.
                Welll if you get a chance to see the documentary, (which features one of the all time great interviews with a retired deputy director of the CIA,) that nugget of information comes from a resume they found in his papers at whatever university he had been teaching at. It wasn't like he was throwing it around willy nilly. His director on the shoot was even more fascinating.. The reveal about his is even more fascinating.

Comment

Welll if you get a chance to see the documentary, (which features one of the all time great interviews with a retired deputy director of the CIA,) that nugget of information comes from a resume they found in his papers at whatever university he had been teaching at. It wasn't like he was throwing it around willy nilly. His director on the shoot was even more fascinating.. The reveal about his is even more fascinating.
                  It will be Boston. I can be pretty certain without even looking.

Comment

He taught at two of the three institutions from which I have degrees, but I don't recall our paths having crossed.

I am definitely going to try to watch this.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

[nsfw. Includes language we wouldn’t use now, even to portray a bigoted character]
                      I've got to say I'm very interested in those potato bacon bombs.

Comment

I had immediately assumed he was in with the Boston College stuff.

Comment

Different generation

Not to mention very different conception of "academic"

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
                            I had immediately assumed he was in with the Boston College stuff.
                            He wasn't recording these lads 30-50 years after the event. He was recording them as they were literally doing it.

Perhaps the wildest bit in it is the guy Pat Long, from Limerick. when you see him giving a lecture to the young recruits about the ins and outs of various guns. Try to remember that he's only 30 years old in that clip.

Pat takes us to where it all began, to the shed where the Provisional IRA was founded, in athlone. On the farm of a protestant IRA man called Victor Fagg.

Comment

I've got to say I'm very interested in those potato bacon bombs.
                              So there I was, with like 50 pounds of Mashed Potatoes left over from a family dinner. Okay, maybe it wasn't quite 50 pounds, but pretty darn close…lol! I just couldn't throw them away, so I needed to find a new and delicious way to use them up that didn't include any of the
                              Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 28-03-2024, 02:11.

Comment

The real ads for Black Angus were a lot like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                                  All of the ads on that page for me were for intermittent fasting. I feel as though Google was judging me for even looking at this page.

I never cease to be amazed at the creativity and ingenuity of people

You lads are big into streaky bacon aren't ye?. That really went off the radar here in the post war era. It was actually quite hard to find here in the eighties and nineties

Comment

That’s just what we call bacon.

Comment

All of the ads on that page for me were for intermittent fasting. I feel as though Google was judging me for even looking at this page.

I never cease to be amazed at the creativity and ingenuity of people

You lads are big into streaky bacon aren't ye?. That really went off the radar here in the post war era. It was actually quite hard to find here in the eighties and nineties
                                      I once got served pancakes amd mapke syrup with fuckin rashers of back bacon at that faux french notions cafe on Wicklow St. It really really didnt work.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post

I once got served pancakes amd mapke syrup with fuckin rashers of back bacon at that faux french notions cafe on Wicklow St. It really really didnt work.
                                        Oh no!. American bacon is as much about its texture as anything else. No that just wouldn't work at all

Comment

I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this, but I don't really know where else to put it. The long reads thread, perhaps, if I knew where to find it

Anyhow, here's a story about how a criminal defrauded the CofE in London of 5 million quid and defamed a whole load of vicars across the city https://www.the-fence.com/in-the-shadow-of-st-pauls/

Comment

What an absolute shitshow

Comment

I am curious as to what kinds of organisations people like this choose to embedd themselves.

Hecseems to have chosen his target wisely, though I would be very interested to know how much contact he had with the CofE before working there.

Comment

I'd say the church was an obvious target. Priests are notoriously un-savvy, they are scared of bad publicity (probably in most cases because they feel it would rebound negatively onto the people they are trying to give spiritual support to), and they are unlikely to "fight back" if they learn that they have been had. (That may be a lot of generalisation, but I suspect they are fairly soft targets)

(some of the rules that the CofE operates under (its own rules obviously) are positively arcane and weird)

Comment

I agree

Certain academic, non-profit and local government institutions can be targets for similar reasons

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                                    I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this, but I don't really know where else to put it. The long reads thread, perhaps, if I knew where to find it

Anyhow, here's a story about how a criminal defrauded the CofE in London of 5 million quid and defamed a whole load of vicars across the city https://www.the-fence.com/in-the-shadow-of-st-pauls/
                                                    The Awesome Berbaslug!!! would be interested in this clusterfuck, even if it kind of shows the C of E is a proper church after all

Comment

Working...
                                                    X