Man Diet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man Diet

Im with Stumpy on this, but Im a girl, and I think boys do a lot better with exercise than we do. Hobbes is right about the calorie restriction, anyway, you should definitely up your calories. But personally I would treat exercise as essential but mostly for health rather than for weight loss.

A couple of years ago I gave up carbs for Lent. Lost lots of weight. People kept saying Ooh your skin looks good. Etc blah blah. I keep meaning to go back to that. I would say its a bit much long term but if you can bring yourself to cut out refined carbs eg white anything, and sugar, then you will help your system because you wont be releasing insulin in quantities, and insulin makes you store fat after youve eaten sugar.

But really experience says to me that being on a diet will only bring grief in the end, however successful it is short term.
    If you want to look at things from a psychological pov I would suggest either Eating Less by Gillian Riley or maybe Overcoming Overeating by Jane Hirschmann and Carole Munter, they are slightly at cross purposes with one another but theyre the kindest books Ive read on the subject.

pls excuse lack of ability to find the apostrophe on this Italian keyboard

Comment

Man Diet

And yeah, re the muscle thing. Have you any idea how much time it would take to put on a pound of muscle - Stumpy is totally correct.

because if someone is saying 'you should lose weight' then, dare I say it, why would they want you in the first place?
      Hahahah oh dear. perhaps not the time or the place but I could write buckets about this

Comment

Man Diet

OK - many thanks for the comments/advice so far, much appreciated. In the light of these I've been mulling over some modifications to the scheme.

Breakfast at the moment is either 2 weetabix or shredded wheat but I shall add porridge and honey into the rota. I shall include an extra approx. 400 cal snack/light meal around 4.00pm and put back evening meal to about 7.00pm This should bring me up to about 1700-1800 cals a day which seems to be the concensus and hopefully will counter some of the evening hunger cravings.

To exercise or not to exercise? My gut (haha) reaction is that I must exercise so I shall, but with a purpose of increasing general fitness instead of trying to body shape and put too much muscle on. So the answer is golf. I used to play occasionally in my late 30's early 40's so I have been in contact with a local club with a view to joining and playing regularly. If things go well I might also attempt to cycle into work (4.5 miles).

And finally the tricky issue of beer. Well all this self control could get a bit much without a bit of reward built in so I shall pencil in a brisk walk to the pub and back (approx 4 miles in total) 1 or maybe 2 evenings a week for 2 or 3 pints.

Comment

Working...
        X