They're off! Election 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ukip MEP defects to Tories Not sure what to make of this.

Comment

She was something of a coup for UKIP in the 2009 European Elections, but they've made absolutely no use of her at all (she's a former senior accountant with the EU). She should have been everywhere in the media, with facts and figures. There may be some truth in what UKIP say about her being difficult, she was probably pissed off with the shite they talk.

This is the personal manifesto of the UKIP candidate in Eastleigh.

Reduce everyone's taxes to a 31% flat tax;
      Phase out Employers' NI contributions over five years;
      Cut red tape for small businesses;
      Create one million new skilled jobs through public and private investment;
      Introduce an immediate five year freeze on immigration for permanent settlement;
      End uncontrolled open-door immigration;
      More police on the beat;
      More severe penalties;
      Keep the NHS free at the point of delivery;
      Create more community support for people with disabilities;
      Restore free NHS dental and eye tests;
      End 'health tourism';
      Bring back the 'three Rs', re-introduce student grants, encourage the creation of new grammar schools;
      Reinstate dividend tax credit at 20%;
      Invest in nuclear power and stop renewable subsidies.
      Tim Montgomerie put them up Conservative Home, probably anticipating people saying "look at that rubbish". Unfortunately, the reaction seems to be "that's proper conservatism".

Comment

Put those views on here and you'll see they are very similar to the BNP and more left wing than any of the main stream English parties.

Comment

Bonny Bobby Shafto wrote: AG: the 'other' by-election in Ulster Mid is where it's at, baby.

One candidate is standing on the basically single-issue 'the other candidate shot my da' ticket.
          Christ on a bike. Not just "he shot my dad", but also "he got blackmailed and betrayed his terrorist mates to the RUC".

Comment

Means?

Comment

Clegg's in a bit of trouble. Though don't rule out some Jeremy Hunt style "It didn't mean me, it meant my office, and that person in my office didn't tell me anything about it"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/liberaldemocrats/9892394/Revealed-what-Cleggs-top-aide-knew-about-Lord-Rennard.html

Mr Oates responded to The Daily Telegraph’s questions in April 2010 with a blanket denial.
              He said: “It is untrue to state that Mr Clegg was made aware of the incidents you allege. Given this fact it is obviously untrue to state that Mr Clegg asked Jo Swinson or anyone else to carry out an investigation into the incidents that you allege.”
              The response suggests that Mr Oates must have asked Mr Clegg at the time about the allegations – to establish whether or not he was previously aware of them.

Comment

Bonny Bobby Shafto wrote: AG: the 'other' by-election in Ulster Mid is where it's at, baby.

One candidate is standing on the basically single-issue 'the other candidate shot my da' ticket
                More details.

Comment

Fucking hell.

Comment

Meanwhile at Eastleigh, it looks rather like "businesswoman" Maria Hutchings has been working for the head of the local Conservative Association, and never run a company in her life.

Comment

Looks like the LibDems have been channeling the SWP in how they deal with internal sexual harassment complaints.

Leaderships eh?

Comment

Let's embarrass ourselves...

... what was said 5 years ago

Comment

Ouch. There's some OTFers upthread who I really like and whose opinions I really respect bigging up and voting for LibDem candidates they now despise. Still, we all live and learn.

Comment

It's an OTF rite of passage, we've all done and then rejected it at some point. Like listening to the Cure.

Comment

Never ever entered my head to vote for the Liberals.

Comment

Sorry, my mistake. That should read "almost all", honest.

Comment

Did it in Cheltenham 1992. It worked out very well- won and helped Major lose crucial votes on Maastricht and domestic fuel VAT.

Comment

Never ever contemplated voting LibDem either

Comment

I've voted Lib Dem, though didn't last time. Nationally. I may have done so locally, can't remember.

My Dad was involved with the Lib Dems at a local level many years ago, and even stood in a town council election for them once (desperately hoping not to win!). He has a visceral hatred of the Tories, but is no lefty so was never going to vote Labour. I think he was pretty apathetic about politics, thinking neither side offered much at all but with the Tories significantly more toxic, until the start of the SDP. Then he became engaged, and stayed as such until the Major/Blair period.
                                      Lib Dems were clearly the best political fit for him for years and years. There isn't much discussion of the coalition government when I visit my parents place.

Comment

Working...
                                      X