The Met Office

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Met Office

The great wise Men of the Met Office are taking some stick once again. In October they stated that Britain would experience a mild Winter. Well,what happened to that then?. This follows on from the prediction of a BBQ Summer.

The conditions outside are bloody shocking,with pavements and roads like Olympic skating rinks.
    Now we have contrasting data to baffle us,on one hand it is the coldest Winter in 15 years,on the other,it is the coldest Winter in 100 years.

Come on Met Office,pull your bloody finger out.

The Met Office

Do you have a source for this October statement?

Comment

The Met Office

"Stated" and "would" seem to be overstated, but the Met Office clearly did predict a likely mild winter in October.

Comment

The Met Office

TonTon wrote:
        Do you have a source for this October statement?
        They did say it,and it was reported in most of the papers.

Another funny thing is that when we had the cold weather last month,a chap on radio 5 live said that it was unlikely that we would see anymore snow in January.

Comment

The Met Office

I remember them saying it too. However, I always pay more attention to M.S./Moitie/1890, so when he (accurately) reported the growing unease on Netweather, etc. I instantly stocked up on bread, soup, coffee, sugar, etc.

Oh, and toilet paper.

Comment

The Met Office

I just use the Daily Mail for the latter.

Comment

The Met Office

Urgh. How awful would it be to get Melanie Phillips' face on your arse.

Comment

The Met Office

Well,what happened to that then?. This follows on from the prediction of a BBQ Summer
                To clear this up, the Met Office said in April that there was a 55%-65%
                chance of a warmer summer and that it would be better than the previous
                rubbish years which it was - June especially was fantastic - and "We can
                expect times when temperatures will be above 30C - something we hardly saw last
                year." which was true on both counts. All they said about BBQS is that we CAN get
                them out which was true as opposed to the previous years when we very rarely
                were.

Also they did revise that forecast, which was made in April, in July to say
                that August would be wet.

Apparently, however, the Met Office press office then put the "BBQ
                summer" phrase out to the papers.

Comment

The Met Office

It is a little difficult for me to be too sympathetic. For the last month I have been driving on ice and snow covered roads. I have cleared my driveway 7 times. Temperatures during the day range from 7 F to 16 F. and and night drop to minus 16 F. with 10 degree windchill on top of that. We were supposed to have a mild winter too.

Comment

The Met Office

MildER winter than last year rather but they have boobed badly, too much focus on El Nino conditions. The Netweather long range guru has been pretty spot on so take heed when he says there is more potent stuff to come our way plus the warming in february might be looking less certain now due to, see if you paid attention last winter, a Sudden Stratospheric Warming Event taking shape...

Comment

The Met Office

As suspected Etienne, cheers.

Comment

The Met Office

I think "devon" (if that is his real name) is just bitter because of where the Met Office is located.

It's a shame, it really is.

Comment

The Met Office

Bloody weather! How badly organised is this country?? Snow, ice and everything, and my bus doesn't just turn up on time, it gets me here early! I was hoping for a day off listening to Test Match Special, and instead I've got a library full of kids.

Comment

The Met Office

Total devastation. This is all that's left of my village:

Comment

The Met Office

So much for Global Warming, it's all lies etc.

/C Booker mode/

Comment

The Met Office

That was pretty much the Daily Express headline, Eggchaser.

Comment

Working...
                                X