The drug years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The drug years

The 60s and the (late) 80s are traditionally the 'eras' that we associate with drugs, and usually quite specific ones. However, aren't the Victorian years generally accepted now as being the ones where the most substances were consumed which we now know are damaging?

But... which was statistically the most drug/chemical damaged era of all and what with? I don't know the answer - I haven't googled it!

The drug years

How would such a thing be measurable?

And would you include alcohol in such a survey?

Comment

The drug years

Well, I'm assuming medical data (such as it was).

I know that London had a massive gin problem in the early 1700s (but this was only a factor of the non-hygienic nature of water at the time, of course).

Comment

The drug years

I don't think accurate data for, say, the extent of laudanum or opium use would be readily available. Neither were a usually a direct cause of death, they were legal and reasonably easily obtained so where would there be records? Same for alchohol.

Comment

The drug years

It is such a wide possibility of definitions really. Do you mean drug use or abuse? As mentioned, are you including alcohol (or fags)? Are you including prescribed or legal drugs such as valium, opium or speed? Painkillers even.

Although drug use was commonly held to gather pace in the 60s, I don't know whether it particularly slowed down in the 70s.

Comment

The drug years

Amor de Cosmos wrote:
            How would such a thing be measurable?

And would you include alcohol in such a survey?
            Alcohol isn't a drug. It's a drink.

Comment

The drug years

I'd really like to try laudanum. Someone must still make it.

Comment

The drug years

You can still get it on prescription

Comment

The drug years

I've done loads of cocaine, and ganja, them years are no more.
                  However, I've thought whether not doing the odd spliff is much better than all the Guinness I down?

Comment

The drug years

evilC wrote:
                    But... which was statistically the most drug/chemical damaged era of all and what with? I don't know the answer - I haven't googled it!
                    I think it's antiquity. I think the entire reason behind Alexander the Great's conquest of Asia was they were blitzed out of their gourds, all day every day. They drank watered down wine in place of water. The reason they defeated Persian armies 10 times bigger than them was because the Persians were all drunk AND stoned. The battle of Gaugamela was a massive, drunken-stoned sea of utter chaos. There were probably entire battalions of Persians just sitting on the ground in the middle of it all with their heads in their hands, nervously rocking back and forth.

The invading German barbarians were all pissed out of their minds 100% of the time. Or if they weren't, they dearly wanted to be which is why they needed to conquer the Romans' vineyards at all costs.

Comment

The drug years

Bravo, Spearmint Rhino.

Comment

Working...
                      X