underpants bomber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

underpants bomber

I had an experience with US airport security back in 2002ish. I flew from Glasgow to Newark and was pulled aside before boarding and given an extra search and a bit more questioning. I was then questioned at some length at the US immigration gates on arrival. Again in Newark before boarding a flight to Seattle I was once again pulled aside and searched and questioned. In Glasgow a few of us were pulled aside but in Newark it was only me. Later that week flying out of Seattle for Las Vegas I was again pulled aside. Instead of being taken into a separate room this time I was stripped to my underwear in front of the entire departure gate by the officers/staff. I initially thought they were joking but it became apparent very quickly that joking wasn't something they did. I was annoyed and embarrassed. All the flights passengers were queuing beside me, some complained about it (which tells you all you need to know about what I look like semi naked) and I slowly got quite angry about it. After further questioning they allowed me to board the flight. Flying out of Las Vegas later that week I was ready for them. I was pulled aside as usual and I quickly let them know I was very unhappy about it. I was taken to a room where I was told I had no choice and if I Wanted to get on the plane I would need to be searched and refusal could lead to me being arrested. I complained long and loud. Eventually they left the room and a new security guy came in. Bizarrely he was originally from Edinburgh, I explained what had happened in Seattle and asked why I kept getting pulled over. He explained to me that they had four 'flags' they used and I ticked all of them; I was not an American passport holder, I was male, under 40 and travelling alone. This, apparently, is the photofit of a terrorist or at least it was 8 or so years ago. We then spoke about Scottish football and Hearts in particular and he advised me to take the search and go home which I did. I was of course pulled again at Newark on my flight back to Glasgow, which I accepted with a smile.
    I've never flown to America alone since then.

Comment

underpants bomber

I can't imagine they could pull aside all the single men under 40 etc that fit your description AMMS. You wouldn't say you were brown skinned at all would you? What a shambles.

Meanwhile Tom Ridge seems to be speaking in code:

"I take a look at this individual who has been charged criminally, does that mean he gets his Miranda warnings? The only information we get is if he volunteers it?" Ridge said. "He's not a citizen of this country. He's a terrorist, and I don't think he deserves the full range of protections of our criminal justice system embodied in the Constitution of the United States."

Comment

underpants bomber

Presumably you mean everyone's loins will need to be groped.
        Probably even they would be reluctant to encourage the inevitable queues of people flying specially because of this

Comment

underpants bomber

Bruno wrote:
          I can't imagine they could pull aside all the single men under 40 etc that fit your description AMMS. You wouldn't say you were brown skinned at all would you? What a shambles.
          As Billy Connolly once almost said, I'm so white I'm almost blue.

Comment

underpants bomber

Why can't these articles mention why he was in the bathroom for an hour?
            He had diarrhoea.

Comment

underpants bomber

Femme Falafel wrote:
              Well, the obvious thing to do would be to train special butt-sniffing dogs.
              You don't need to train dogs to sniff butts, even the special ones.

Comment

underpants bomber

Incandenza wrote:
                Bruno has kids. Everyone that has kids has pretended to be have an upset stomach and just sat in the bathroom to leave the kid(s) with their spouse to steal some time by themselves, haven't they?
                And all these years I thought my Dad had serious intestinal problems. Hmph.

Comment

underpants bomber

Someone smarter than I am points out that if someone really wanted to blow up a plane by setting fire to themselves or something they're holding, doing so in the lavatory would make more sense than amongst the other passengers.

Could it be that the likes of the shoe bomber and this latest guy secretly wanted to be overpowered before they did the deed?

Comment

underpants bomber

Nefertiti2 wrote:
                    He had diarrhoea.
                    Yeah, it was between that and a marathon tug obviously.

Comment

underpants bomber

Might have been constipated.

Comment

underpants bomber

Femme Falafel wrote:
                        Incandenza wrote:
                        Bruno has kids. Everyone that has kids has pretended to be have an upset stomach and just sat in the bathroom to leave the kid(s) with their spouse to steal some time by themselves, haven't they?
                        And all these years I thought my Dad had serious intestinal problems. Hmph.
                        I once visited a friend of a friend's house and he had shelves and shelves of National Geographic magazine in his loo. I was in there virtually all night, faking stomach ache.

Comment

underpants bomber

Femme Falafel wrote:
                          Might have been constipated.
                          Good to have a backup theory.

Comment

underpants bomber

CTT: My dad had a two foot high stack of Popular Science magazine in his. Come to think of it, he might have been having a tug with all that geek pron in there.

OK, must get image of dad having a wank out of my head. NOW. So wrong. So wrong.

Comment

underpants bomber

Bruno wrote:
                              Nefertiti2 wrote:
                              He had diarrhoea.
                              Yeah, it was between that and a marathon tug obviously.
                              That's "marathon", is it?

Comment

underpants bomber

"Today, the Transportation Security Administration issued new security directives to all United States and international air carriers with inbound flights to the U.S. effective January 4, 2010.

The new directive includes long-term, sustainable security measures developed in consultation with law enforcement officials and our domestic and international partners.

Because effective aviation security must begin beyond our borders, and as a result of extraordinary cooperation from our global aviation partners, TSA is mandating that every individual flying into the U.S. from anywhere in the world traveling from or through nations that are state sponsors of terrorism or other countries of interest will be required to go through enhanced screening. The directive also increases the use of enhanced screening technologies and mandates threat-based and random screening for passengers on U.S. bound international flights."

Comment

underpants bomber

Pervy airport workers rejoice - we're getting full-body scanners.

Comment

underpants bomber

just don't fly to the U.S., and you'll be fine.

Comment

Working...
                                    X