Abolition of licence fee?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've never understood this, but why is the BBC said to be guaranteed independence by raising money through a flat tax on television ownership, rather than through a progressive taxation system? The government already sets the level of the licence fee and nominates the management. Does the Bank of England guarantee its independence by raising its own operating costs?

The costs of collecting the fee and prosecuting non payers must be pretty high. And won't people increasingly avoid it by watching online?

Yours confused.

Well I suppose the Government is theoretically (haha) more trustworthy than corporations to preserve its independence and integrity. Which is you compare it to, say, Fox News may be reasonably valid.

That doesn't explain why it's flat rather than progressive. Perhaps the extra cost of administering a progressive tax is disproportionate for a relatively small tax.

Comment

I don't see why there has to be a separate tax for it at all, progressive or not. General taxation is fairly progressive. Can't it come from that? The reason it isn't Fox News is that it wouldn't be tolerated here, not that there's a licence fee. Even Sky News isn't Fox News.

I also don't understand the point of car tax. Can't this be collected when the car is bought new, or on petrol?

Comment

Well that's a bit of a different argument, which you could make about any indirect taxation. I suppose it's because TVs and cars are non-essential luxuries so the poorest shouldn't have to subsidise other people having them from general taxation. I know the reality now is that nearly every house has a TV but I suppose the tax's origins are in a time when that wasn't the case.

Comment

There's a danger the poor could very well be subsidising the rich with TV now. Poor family watching a crap old TV- full fee. Rich bloke, state of the art PC, might well pay nothing and watch everything online.

Even people who don't have televisions benefit from public service broadcasting as properly understood, with investigations into corrupt politicians and all, and its general contribution to culture eg in breaking new music, especially on Radio 1 and 3. I don't see any reason to exempt them from paying.

I see in 2007-8, there were an estimated 3.5m visits to houses without licences. What an astonishing waste of money.

Comment

Does the Bank of England guarantee its independence by raising its own operating costs?
            Well, the FSA does guarantee its fairly laughable independence by levying fees on the financial industry. Not sure where the Bank's funding comes from.

Anyway, I think the point with regards to the BBC is that the fee is set by the charter process, which gives a significant degree of stability year to year. The government can't punish or reward the Beeb by changing its budget from year to year, nor can it micromanage budget expenditures.

Comment

The very epitome of the chavvy council estate house is the 49-inch flat screen telly plonked in a tiny lounge, bought for off the social. And two more upstairs in the kids' bedrooms. So it's not a tax about expensive TV "ownership" at all.

I'd wholeheartedly agree with a progressive tax to replace the TV licence, though, if it returned the BBC to the kind of programming becoming of those then "paying" for it. More "Walks With Wainwright", and "Coast", and far less One Show, Eastenders, Dancing on Fucking Roller Skates and Jonathan Ross.

Comment

Whatever the method of setting it, surely that doesn't mean it has to be collected in the way it is.

Well, let's think of the judiciary, maybe a better example than the Bank. Indpendence is important there, but that must receive a fair bit of tax from direct taxation. The figures you see for court costs wouldn't cover it.

Comment

Rogin the Armchair Fan wrote:
                  The very epitome of the chavvy council estate house is the 49-inch flat screen telly plonked in a tiny lounge, bought for off the social. And two more upstairs in the kids' bedrooms. So it's not a tax about expensive TV "ownership" at all.
                  I take it your joking there. I can't wait for your wizardry on the taxation thread if you can rustle up giant televisions from social security.

Comment

In fact, after further thought, I think replacing the entire licence fee with the BBC having to raise funds through "vote now!" text message competitions should be the way forward. They must raise an absolute bloody fortune from these as it is, where does it all go? Even the politics show with Andrew Neill routinely invites its viewers to text in on the "issue of the day".

And Chris Moyles can get 600,000 texts of a morning just by asking "whose team are you on, Peter or Katie?". Let him raise the money needed for his own bloody programme.

Comment

btw, GY, what's going on here if parliament can't directly cut the licence fee?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8058637.stm

Comment

Well, sure, in theory parliament can do it, just like it can in theory abolish the House of Lords. But as the story you linked to points out, freezing the fee would violate the terms of the long term settlement, which is an long-established structure. Doing so would clearly be seen as an attack on the independence of the BBC. As with so many things in a land with an unwritten constitution (and as we discovered under Bush, even in places with written constitutions), many things that are in theory forbidden depend on their occurrence being deemed outrageous to remain so.

Comment

The point about the licence fee is that, almost uniquely, it's a hypothecated revenue strand. If the Chancellor got to set the BBC's funding each budget, that's its editorial independence fucked.

Comment

Sorry, I still don't see why long term guarantees of funding mean you have to have a hypothecated tax. Couldn't the next charter agree funding and not have the licence fee?

Comment

Yeah, I'm with Tubby here. In general I think hypothecated taxation is a bad idea, and I don't see why it's right for the BBC and not for anything else. It's horribly regressive, possibly more so than any other tax apart from on cigarettes. And it's an easy target for those who want to bash the BBC, which is a greater threat to its editorial independence than there being no independent revenue stream.

As long as there is an independent body set up to assign its budget (similar to the one that sets electoral constituency boundaries) I don't see any danger in the BBC losing the licence fee.

Comment

You've as usual put it better than me.

Hypothecated taxes seem to me too a complete red herring. Why should the correct amount of tax to spend on something be equal to the best amount of tax to raise from it? That would be a happy coincidence indeed.

Comment

Working...
                                X