The problem with trousers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why don't they make warm but normal trousers? It seems you can have really thin normal trousers, ski trousers, or hiking trousers with warm lining but waterproofed material on the outside. Why the fuck can't I have normal trousers with a warm lining?

I remember Gap had jeans and khakis with flannel lining a few years ago. Not sure if they still do.

Comment

Why not wear normal trousers with ski thermals underneath?

Comment

Long johns. Combinations.

Comment

Anyway, stop being such a wuss! It's -9°C over here.

Comment

Flannel lining, pah. I want fake fur lining, dammit. And yeah, there is the thermal underwear option, but why not just have it in one piece of clothing?

I'm just annoyed that, thanks to the aforementioned niece situation, I'm getting the cold without the snow. And, no, it's not particularly cold. I'm just curious as to why there are hundreds of winter coats etc for sale in every shop, but basically no winter trousers.

Comment

Ginger Yellow wrote:
              Flannel lining, pah. I want fake fur lining, dammit. And yeah, there is the thermal underwear option, but why not just have it in one piece of clothing?

I'm just annoyed that, thanks to the aforementioned niece situation, I'm getting the cold without the snow. And, no, it's not particularly cold. I'm just curious as to why there are hundreds of winter coats etc for sale in every shop, but basically no winter trousers.
              So you don't have buy more pants?

Comment

Because thick, padded trousers as everydaywear would look silly. How warm do you need to keep your legs, anyway? All your vital bits are up in your torso, which is where you need the insulation. And your head... hence hats.

('Everydaywear'? Yeah, it's one word.)

Comment

It's a good point really, GY.

I routinely buy M&S trousers for work and they were a whole lot more flimsy this than last. Almost translucent, in fact!

However, what with riding, I've become addicted to thermals. I can thoroughly recommend the M&S standard ones if you go that route. They're much better than the ones millets charge the same (or more) for. The good thing about thermals is that you can move *that* thermal lining from trousers to trousers. I reckon that, if they made what you're talking about, they'd charge more than trousers and thermals sold separately - considerably more.

Changing topic slightly...

A similar situation occurs with waterproof (i.e. plastic) motorcycle trousers. (And no, I can't afford expensive textile or leather options!) A couple of years back, I bought what were ostensibly the last pair of waterproof overtrousers with a quilted lining. They're brilliant - I rode to Sheffield in them, last December, and didn't get cold. Now it seems that the only truly waterproof trousers that are affordable are either lined with a flimsy material or not lined at all, meaning your sweat would wick straight back into your clothes, leading to chilling and smelliness too.

Comment

Because thick, padded trousers as everydaywear would look silly.
                    It doesn't need to be too thick. My ideal pair would have the same fake fur lining they put in posh gloves. It would only add a few millimetres of thickness

Comment

Surely there are two reasons for this

Firstly, any such fur-lined trousers would be too warm once you went indoors

Secondly, layers are warmer as they trap air

Comment

You could make some? You can borrow my mum's sewing machine if you want.

Comment

I missed the niece situation. What happened? Hope everything's all right?

Comment

More than. I have a new baby niece, Charlotte. A couple of weeks early, but absolutely fine.

Comment

Why does having a new baby niece make your legs cold?

Comment

I can recommend the Heatech stuff from Uniqlo, does the trick very well, quite cheap and looks good if you are skinny. Full range from socks to tops via longjohns. Tested in "civilian" situations and up the hills.

Comment

Aren't trousers missing from that list, though?

Long Johns have probably saved me from hypothermia in various rented rooms in Brixton. But no-one - no-one - will ever look at you the same once they've seen you sporting them. They look like a cross between a nappy and a bandage, but by god you feel the benefit.

Alternatively, you could just buy some trousers made of wool.

Comment

Aww. Well, welcome to Charlotte.

Wool is not good necessarily because it can be scratchy &/or irritating to the skin. (And one might not wish to wear wool if one were a crazed vegan idealist.) But I suppose that also then comes back to linings. Which probably really is a question of expense.

Comment

Working...
                                    X