Bah Humbug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bah Humbug

Oh, c'mon people, get the stick out of your ass and lighten up.

1) I quite like tacky lighting displays (although my family always does tasteful lights. It's a rare chance for people to go totally over the top and not care what sensible people think. And, most importantly, kids get excited about seeing big lighting displays. And Christmas is all about kids, I think.

I take the points about the expenditure of energy and third-world labor, but in the grand scheme of both of those problems, this is a mere drop in the bucket and even if there were a ban on Christmas lights, the environment would still be fucked and kids would still be exploited in asia.

2) Why anyone would dislike Carolers is beyond me. Of course, in our country, they don't usually ask for money.

3-4) Part of the same problem. Yeah, it can be a drag. I find that the internet has really saved Christmas shopping for me. Having to actually fight crowds in a fucking mall or somesuch is depressing. But with a little planning and a few dollars in shipping, it can be a joy to search the web for the exact stuff.

Our family is beginning to really struggle with the issues of Christmas lists and so forth. Everyone wants to get each other something they'll be really happy to have, but its hard for any of us to identify stuff we need that's in the right price range. We sort it out, but it's a bit of a hassle. Still, I think it's worth it. It's much more enjoyable to get a gift than to buy that same think by oneself.

Of course, it's much more fun to buy stuff for little kids. So much so that I realize I've spent way too much on my niece and nephew. I think I'm going to stash some of the DVDs and whatnot I got for them and give them to them on their birthdays.

Comment

Bah Humbug

Reed of the Valley People wrote:
      And, most importantly, kids get excited about seeing big lighting displays. And Christmas is all about kids, I think.
      Perv.

Sorry.

Love a bit of christmas me. Going to be a bit different this year, but I'm still really looking forward to it.

Comment

Bah Humbug

Worn Old Motorbike wrote:
        Every place on the floor where she sprayed is now bleached white. It's everywhere. Little spitzes of white on the red. I've re-mopped about five times now, and even tried sorting it out with some Mop 'N Glo.
        Only one thing to do: spray spots on the rest of the floor. Who doesn't like red and white polka dots?

Comment

Bah Humbug

In an attempt to lighten the mood somewhat, I thought this seems like the most appropriate place for this remarkable image that I chanced across on this blog:

-

Comment

Bah Humbug

A mate I wasn't sure was buying me a present told me today she has, and I am all giddy with excitement, cos I don't know what it is. And I won't find out for AGES.

I love that kind of thing.

Comment

Bah Humbug

I wish I knew what it was. I would tell you. muahahaha

Comment

Bah Humbug

You am EVIL.

She wouldn't tell you. I'm sure.

Comment

Bah Humbug

Sean of the Shed wrote:
                  Out of all the presents they received, they pick out the noisiest thing they can find, usually bought by one of the conniving relatives you decided not to invite this year.
                  Confession time - it's actually me who buys all the noise making presents for my friends' kids. And yes, I do do it just to wind them up. It may be evil, but it makes me chuckle.

And if we're ranting about Christmas, can I give a big shout out to office Christmas parties getting in my way at my pub, where people who clearly don't like pubs spend half an hour deciding that they want a white wine spritzer "because it's Christmas" while us regulars are dying of thirst and planning bloody murder.

Comment

Bah Humbug

Learn to do without alcohol for five minutes.

I am so tempted to buy my mate's kid a proper drum, though, good shout.

Comment

Working...
                    X