Ipod question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ipod question

Well, my sis still owes me my 30th birthday present, and has told me to pick out a music jobbie. I'm not interested in getting an iphone, because currently I'm delighted with my circa €20 a month bill on my PAYG phone.

What can people tell me about this honey herehere What are the drawbacks, what are the advantages, and is there something better out there, and should I wait.

Ipod question

No point in waiting - they just launched the new models a couple of months back. As for drawbacks and advantages, just see the many, many threads we've already had on the subject. I'm generally very happy with mine, but that's partly because I went into it knowing full well what the limitations would be. If things like using your mp3 player with multiple computers are important to you, then you might want to consider something else.

Comment

Ipod question

A Music Jobbie, yesterday:

Comment

Ipod question

You might want to consider one of these instead. Your ears will thank you for the better sound quality and the noise-cancelling headphones, the much longer battery life and the drag and drop capabilities.

Comment

Ipod question

Bear in mind that your mobile phone might be able to take microSD cards -- my €100 prepay one does and has a standard headphone jack.

You can probably get a 32GB card for about seventy quid.

Comment

Ipod question

Just bought Ms Felicity an ipod classic for her b/day-160gb storage, as I want her to be able to upload every single piece of our music collection and then let me use it whenever i want to.

It was £180, so i'm surprised the smaller storage ones are dearer. is that cos of video etc capabilities?

If so, I'm not arsed about watching vid on a 2-inch screen, so have I missed any other advantages of the new wee ones?

Comment

Ipod question

It's partly because of the touch screen and partly because SSD storage gets exponentially more expensive the larger you go, whereas hard drives are dirt cheap. I was looking into a largish replacement internal SSD for my netbook, and it would have cost more than I paid for the laptop.

Comment

Ipod question

The iTouch screen is 3.5" and has wi-fi capabilities. I think that is the reason why it is priced higher than the ipod classic.

Comment

Ipod question

Oh man, I've had nothing but trouble fom my iPod (Classic) this year. It's not the thing itself, but the latest version of iTunes for PCs that's fucked. I can't put any music on or take any off - it just sticks at the "verifying iPod" stage - and nothing the good people of the internet can recommend makes any difference. Fuck all help from the people in the Apple shop either.

Lots of people seem to have been affected by this. They're going to lose a lot of their old customers, I reckon; wouldn't surprise me if they've changed iTunes to work with the phone-y things they're putting out now, with a view to putting older models out to pasture.

Comment

Ipod question

I like the sound of hobbes' language. I also like the idea of a radio being part of the thing. Garcia was telling me that the IPhone has something ridiculous like 10 different radios, and not one that can do fm.

Tell me hobbes, does your sony have a replaceable battery, or is it like the Ipod?

Comment

Ipod question

Oh I don't have one, much to my disappointment.
                      I've got the NWZ S639 which is about the size of a match book and half the price (but doesn't have wifi etc.). I also have a 16gb iphone.
                      It doesn't look like the battery is replaceable, which is a shame - my old NWZ-HD5 did (and it had line-out too whcih was awesome.)
                      I just know how much easier my Sony is to use than the iphone and being able to drag-and-drop is spectacular. No itunes either which is worth a lot to me, given how appalling it is.
                      AND Sony always package really decent headphones rather than the not very funny jokes that are apple cans.

On the other hand, the apps on the iphone are spectacular. Can you get them on an ipod touch too?

Comment

Ipod question

what kind of apps are you talking about hobbes? I know very little about such things.

Comment

Ipod question

The app store has 90,000 apps, some free, some paid for. They're for anything and everything. They're the only reason I didn't send my iphone back to Orange in the end.

http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/features/app-store.html

Comment

Ipod question

On the other hand, the apps on the iphone are spectacular. Can you get them on an ipod touch too?
                            Yes. They're exactly the same apps, although obviously anything that relies on GPS or a camera won't be much use on an iPod touch, which lacks both those features.

Comment

Ipod question

Basically, it depends what you want to use it for. If you want a top-end music and video player with an basic internet connection, that's easy to use - but that's all it is - get the sony.
                              If you want a games machine etc. and excellent web browser with a lot of novelty and some really useful apps, but are less bothered about ease of use and soundvideo quality, get the ipod.

http://www.shinyshiny.tv/2009/05/the_sony_x_seri.html

Comment

Ipod question

cheers. I only want the thing to play music for me. I don't need to be much more connected to the internet than I already am. The only thing that it might be useful for is playing youtube videos. Can the sony do that?

Comment

Ipod question

I can't find my ipod. I miss the bastard.

Comment

Ipod question

The sony one has a direct connection for YouTube apps, same as the ipod.
                                    It may also have BBC Iplayer. Other sony things do.

Comment

Ipod question

Lyra wrote:
                                      I can't find my ipod. I miss the bastard.
                                      You should have attached one of those key-chains to it that play a little melody when you whistle near them.

Comment

Ipod question

Is that the whistle app?

Comment

Ipod question

My ipod is not a fancy one with all this 'apps' business. Anyway, it's properly missing. I thought I'd just misplaced it in my usual cackhanded way, but I had to turn the room I am staying in upside down at the weekend cos I lost my Oyster card too and there's no sign of either of them. WHO is eating all my possessions? It is very depressing not even being able to keep track of the same few things. And I can't afford a new ipod and I certainly cannot even begin to think about starting again with putting stuff on it if I did, so. That's that unless it turns up somewhere weird.

Comment

Ipod question

Perhaps you taped it to the back of the toilet tank, like they did in The Godfather when they whacked the police chief in the restaurant. Do you remember doing that?

Comment

Ipod question

I don't, no. I was thinking I might've put all this stuff in the left luggage at Berlin Alexanderplatz & then posted the key to myself in case of amnesia.

Comment

Ipod question

Is it, perhaps, in the basement at the Alamo?

Comment

Working...
                                                X