Greasy Spoon Alert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greasy Spoon Alert

borough (the borough?) is great for buying food, but not so much for eating out. fantastic pubs though

Comment

Greasy Spoon Alert

Without wanting to fall in to reverse snobbery, I'm usually a bit suspicious about greasy spoons/dive cafes located in areas that have gone through significant gentrification. The type of place Blur were always photographed in circa 1995.

Comment

Greasy Spoon Alert

Worn Old Motorbike wrote:
        Did you get the job?

[to EIM]
        Yup.

Comment

Greasy Spoon Alert

Congrats.

Comment

Greasy Spoon Alert

Where is that Gambardella place, Mafu? It looks like it ought to be on the Classic Cafes website.

Comment

Greasy Spoon Alert

That's where the pic is lifted from - it's in blackheath

Comment

Greasy Spoon Alert

D'oh!

I love that site. I wish it was a little more easily searchable by area/postcode, though.

Comment

Greasy Spoon Alert

The trouble with café breakfasts is that, as I have just proved yet again, I cook a full English better than any of these frauds could ever even dream of.

Ready to face the day.

Comment

Greasy Spoon Alert

When I'm back in Wales, my favourite is Forte's at Barry Island, which has been used as a location in Dr Who and Torchwood. Some Flickr photos here

There's also the legendary Rabaiotti's in Penarth, although I'm saddened by the attitude of the current proprietor (well, his attitude of four years ago)... http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_east/4227117.stm

There's a whole history of Italian caffs in South Wales, known as 'bracchis' (from the name of one particular family chain which became a generic term). http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/walesonair/database/bracchis.shtml

Comment

Greasy Spoon Alert

Where, oh repulsive denizens of OTF, do you go to get your full English fix?
                      Nowhere, unless I make it.

*pines*

Comment

Greasy Spoon Alert

This is my local fry-up house, and very good it is too:

Excellent fry-ups till 5pm, then it becomes a Turkish restaurant. It's not the cheapest breakfast caff, but it's not expensive either, the portions are very generous and their apple juice is freshly pressed and lovely.

Comment

Greasy Spoon Alert

If you are ever in exotic Llanberis, check out the legendary 'Pete's Eats'.

Tea served in pint mugs, and all the cholesterol you can take.

Comment

Greasy Spoon Alert

Mary's in Kilburn when I was there. Picnic in the Park in Bath

Chips are wrong in a breakfast

Comment

Greasy Spoon Alert

As are hash browns.

If you want something full of carbs you should have black pudding, plenty of oats in there.

I can't remember the last place I went to that had Black Pudding as a default part of an all day breakfast. The place down the road on Acre Lane doesn't even have black pudding at all. I don't get that people will happily eat whatever gets put in a sausage but get squeemish at the though of something having a tiny bit of blood in it.

Comment

Greasy Spoon Alert

Hash browns are needed. As is black pudding.

A full breakfast includes:

Bacon, 2 rashers, smoked
                                Sausages, one lorne, one link
                                Pudding, Black, 1
                                Haggis, sliced, 1
                                Eggs, 2, fried
                                Toast, white, buttered
                                Scone, Tattie, 2
                                Browns, Hash, 2
                                Sauce, Brown, loads of
                                Tea or coffee

Non-lethal ingredients such as mushrooms, tomatoes and beans can be added to taste.

Chips with breakfast are fantastic, but only in to be indulged in in extremis. After festivals, while waiting for your train home, for example. Or at 4 am at a transport cafe in the middle of an eleven hour journey. Like fried bread, sometimes it's good to damage yourself like that. It's cathartic. Not literally of course, you probably won't be able to shit for hours, but figurativley, yes, cathartic.

Comment

Greasy Spoon Alert

Hash browns? Fucking hell. Why not throw some fucking barbecue ribs on there an all?

Comment

Greasy Spoon Alert

I had an excellent all-day veggie breakfast with Super Sharp Shooter yesterday in the Modpop Cafe (formerly Cafe Pop), underneath the Pop Boutique on Oldham St, Manchester. The double-sized version (2x veggie sausages, 2x veggie rashers, 2x fried eggs, beans, mushrooms, some sort of flat bread thing, and tomatoes if I wanted them but I opted out) on a big oval plate defeated even my plate-clearing abilities, but I thoroughly enjoyed doing battle with it. Shangri-Las on the stereo, and the waitress was distractingly cute.

(SSS pictured left)

Comment

Greasy Spoon Alert

It sounds great. But I'm disgusted that you shunned the Koffee Pot.

Comment

Greasy Spoon Alert

It was actually shut, believe it or not. (I walked past and thought "Oh, that's the one EIM was on about.")

Comment

Greasy Spoon Alert

Is that on the same spot as the old infamous "Oasis cafe"?

Comment

Greasy Spoon Alert

Which? The one I visited was Cafe Pop for years and years, so no.

Comment

Greasy Spoon Alert

Hash Browns should be nowhere near a breakfast plate. When I were a lad, me Nan would fry up the previous days mashed potatoes. Also toast is for wimps, what you should be having is a fried slice. White bread, preferably the crust.
                                              The only time I've had Black Pudding as standard on a fry up is when Ive been on holiday in Ireland, where they also provide a slice of white pudding.

Comment

Greasy Spoon Alert

I'm disgusted that he includes a photo that doesn't feature the distractingly cute waitress.

Incidentally, have beans always been a part of a cooked breakfast? Because I know we never had them at home, and I'm pretty sure I never had them when eating round at a friend's. Are they a new addition or did I just have an odd childhood?

Comment

Greasy Spoon Alert

You just had an odd childhood.

Comment

Greasy Spoon Alert

Hash browns are smart when you need something to replace the mushrooms and tomato thst you don't like.

I seem to remember that US hash browns are different - actually grated potato, fried. Nice.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X