X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuck off, Topman.

http://bit.ly/zqrj2

Latest Trend: Salford Lads Club

Transport yourself back to the 80s and Thatcher's Britain - you're walking into the local working mens club in the north of England. The Smiths are playing in the background as you take off your tweed scarf and loose overcoat and move through the social club, scouting for your friends.

You see them at the back of the social club - a blur of polo shirts, crew knits and baker boy hats. You see that all too familiar look on their faces as you get nearer..."Last one gets the round in" they shout.

Fuck off, Topman.

I thought this was going to be about Liq's thread getting deleted . . .

Comment

Fuck off, Topman.

Having lived in the southwest in the 1980s, London and the Home Counties in the 1990s and oop North in the 2000s, I can honestly say that the disdain shown towards northern "working men's clubs" is misplaced by southerners (and yes, they do still exist, working men's clubs that is, not southerners). The WM clubs round me now are absolutely no different in substance, style or clientele to the Tory clubs I occasionally used to drink in down south in the old days. Cheap beer, stale fags, snooker tables. The singular difference is that the grumpy bitter old twats down south moaned about the blacks and the unions, and the grumpy bitter-drinking old twats up north moan about "the government" and the "immigrants".

Comment

Fuck off, Topman.

Latest Trend: Salford Lads Club
        I've just puked.

Comment

Fuck off, Topman.

Topman are quite funny with their trends. A couple of years ago they had a similar write-up but with 80's footall terrace fashion (with just a hint of naughtiness to make it more "interesting") and another one based on the look of street protesters in Paris, Prague and the likes back in the 60's.

Anyhow, Mr Uniqlo is telling me that the look for men this season is tight jeans, flanel check shirts and cardies. Preppy basically. I'm quite a fan of that brand as it happens...

Comment

Fuck off, Topman.

Moonlight shadow wrote:
            Anyhow, Mr Uniqlo is telling me that the look for men this season is tight jeans, flanel check shirts and cardies. Preppy basically. I'm quite a fan of that brand as it happens...
            Gah! I've already seen a few examples of this about. It's horrible. (Sorry, MS, but...)

Why have most recent fashions seemingly been all about making less and less effort? Soon people just won't be bothering to put on clothes at all ...unless their mothers do it for them! "Muuuummm!!! Come and dress meeee! I want to go to college this week."

Being young (and not-so-young, of course) should be all about looking good, looking spectacular.

Comment

Fuck off, Topman.

This means I can resume dressing exactly like I did in 1986.

Comment

Fuck off, Topman.

Apart from squeezing back into my vintage "Crown Paints" Liverpool shirt, I pretty much still do.

Grey leather Italian slip-on shoes need to make a comeback and all. They were great if you'd been mixing cement for a driveway, you couldn't tell the difference.

Comment

Fuck off, Topman.

Apart from squeezing back into my vintage "Crown Paints" Liverpool shirt, I pretty much still do.
                  You should wear it anyway. Tell everyone it's this season's 'Jan Molby' look.

Comment

Fuck off, Topman.

I like flanel check shirts, very cosy, in fact I'm going to buy another one from U, along with the trench coat I've got in mind.

Youth should concern themselves with more interesting stuff than fashion, there is a world to change, revolutions to start and controversial arts to be produced. Leave fashion to us middle-aged,cynical has-been with no hope for change.

Comment

Fuck off, Topman.

A female friend recently told me "Look, just accept it, the eighties are over. You have to get new clothes."

Ha! I am now vindicated.

Comment

Fuck off, Topman.

Do you look and dress like Don Johnson or Pat Sharp?

Comment

Fuck off, Topman.

More like the Weetabix men, but with occasional denim shirts (and while I will, under the duress of more informed opinion, accept that I am wrong about politics, religion, football or whatever, I will never accept that denim shirts do not make you look cool).

Comment

Fuck off, Topman.

Looks more like "Latest Trend: Concentrations Camp Escapees In Charity Shop Clothing" to me.

Personally, I can't wait until I'm old enough not to give any kind of damn anymore and can just chuck on a shirt and a pair of trousers every day, possibly slightly food-stained ones.

Comment

Fuck off, Topman.

As if those two soft lads could last 5 minutes in Salford, dressed like that....

Comment

Fuck off, Topman.

Stumpy Pepys wrote:
                                This means I can resume dressing exactly like I did in 1986.
                                And this means I can continue dressing exactly like I did in 1986.

Comment

Fuck off, Topman.

Moonlight shadow wrote:
                                  As if those two soft lads could last 5 minutes in Salford, dressed like that....
                                  Let alone the fact you'd be fucked trying to order a pint in Salford Lads Club, it not being a drinking establishment.

Still, advertising works to some degree: I'm now giving some thought to buying one of these (the t-shirts, you wags) for a mate of mine whose late father used to be involved there a lot.

Comment

Fuck off, Topman.

Trying to sneak in a derogatory Top Man thread while I'm away, eh? Well I'm sorry, it won't wash (unless you put it in at 50 degress on a short cycle, ha ha). Top Man are ace and all the clothes they sell are brilliant. Expect to see me striding down Penny Street sporting exactly the same outfit as the second guy on the left in that black and white photo behind the link.

Is that big picture of the gothed-up girls still in the front window? I spent most of my lunch breaks a couple of weeks ago stood stock still and slack-jawed in front of it.

Comment

Fuck off, Topman.

Trying to sneak in a derogatory Top Man while I'm away, eh? Well I'm sorry, it won't wash (unless you put it in at 50 degress on a short cycle, ha ha). Top Man are ace and all the clothes they sell are brilliant. Expect to see me striding down Penny Street sporting exactly the same outfit as the second guy on the left in that black and white photo behind the link.

Is that big picture of the gothed-up girls still in the front window? I spent most of my lunch breaks a couple of weeks ago stood stock still and slack-jawed in front of it.

Comment

Fuck off, Topman.

A blatant attempt to drive up post count.

Comment

Fuck off, Topman.

I was twitchy with the very excitement of wearing Top Man clothes.

Comment

Fuck off, Topman.

That might just be the polyester?

Comment

Working...
                                            X