Return of the night shift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Up early to meet the deadline. I've been sick all week and it's led to little sleep. Plus, whenever I try to get work done during the normal day, it's constantly interrupted by various shit that is work-related, but not actual work. So I'm cramming it all in now. Not ideal, but I'm a veteran of this sort of thing.

Comment

Alright!

Comment

Now I have finished my PGCE, I am firmly back in 9am-1/2am hours. Mind you, I have actually got to go into school tomorrow to give in some marking that I was doing from midnight until 2am last night/this morning.

Comment

it is so fucking humid right about now

Comment

Keep meaning to ask, are you any relation to B>E>A>K?

Comment

I have been working continental shifts since 1990 (12 hour shifts - 2 weeks of days, 2 weeks of nights, working every other weekend) - I hate this time of year as I am guaranteed f*ck all sleep due mainly to neigbours kids playing in their gardens and people mowing their lawns at stupid o'clock in the morning.

Right now I feel like I should be in a George A Romero movie.

Comment

sw2boro sw2boropetrovsk wrote: Keep meaning to ask, are you any relation to B>E>A>K?
                not the foggiest. should i be worried/hurriedly changing my name?

Comment

Wwwoooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Just checking. Anyone around?

It's pissing down rain here.

But I just put together my motorcycle floor hoist in the garage.

It was on sale for 50% off.

Had fish and chips for dinner.

As you can see, I'm home alone.

So, a bit about yourselves....

Comment

I'm here. Debating whether I want to go to bed or watch the episode of Property Brothers that I recorded while watching Master Chef.

I'm working from home tomorrow, so I don't have to get up early.

Hey, I had fish and chips for dinner tonight too. Weird.

Comment

I had a truly senile moment earlier today. I passed a *S*B*D* fart and in the length of time it took for the smell to reach my nose, I forgot about it. So I blamed the cat, who was standing nearby. I even checked to see if he had poop on his butt.

I would be embarrassed about mentioning this, if it weren't so funny.

Comment

I put in a big online order from Gap and Old Navy last week, and rather than them sending it out together, they shipped some things on their own (this wasn't something I requested). I've been getting giant plastic envelopes with just one pair of boxers in them, a pair of socks and some kids shirts, etc. Finally got the final remaining package tonight. To make things even more complicated, one of the first packages I got was for a kid's sweatshirt (for about a 9 or 10 year old) that we didn't order...I wanted to make sure that everything else came. We got all that we ordered, I think I'm going to keep the sweatshirt and then donate it once the brood has grown out of it (looking about 10 years down the line)...

Comment

Why on earth would they ship it all separately like that? That can't be cost effective, especially if you got free or flat rate shipping.

Comment

I've been doing some work with an online clothing company in Germany and what with people trying things on and not liking colours when they see them for real rather than in pictures, they expect about 90% of the goods they ship out to be returned to them. Efficiency in shipping doesn't seem to be a priority in that sector.

Comment

90%? Their markup must be astronomical if they're still in business with that return rate.

Comment

They actually encourage it to some extent - they tell their customers to order different colours and sizes of the item they're interested in, and keep the one they want.

Comment

B>EA>K, yesterday.

Comment

Hang on...where did I put it...no...not there either...ah, there it is >.

Comment

Andy C wrote: They actually encourage it to some extent - they tell their customers to order different colours and sizes of the item they're interested in, and keep the one they want.
                                      Warby Parker (I hate that name) does something like that for sunglasses.

Comment

POsted in wrong thread - thought this was the Mundane Thread....

Comment

I've been waiting weeks for the World Cup 2014 forum to be moved, and now it has been I keep clicking on the wrong forum. It's a classic case of 'be careful what you wish for' and has led me to listening to The Kooks (it was a long and winding road that doesn't stand up to forensic explanation). They were exactly as bad as I remember, but without the golden tint of nostalgia, which actually makes them worse.

Remember the World Cup, folks? Remember The Kooks? Remember... stuff?

Comment

The first few pages of this is a fascinating documentary reminder of when my life started falling apart for the first time. I pulled it round, like, and was briefly happy for a few years, but it's bringing back memories and emotions I can't really be dealing with right now. Though, admittedly, that could also be because I just listened to The Kooks.

Comment

Five years. Half a decade. Fucking hell. What a waste.

Comment

The worst thing about not being able to sleep is the ghosts that end up trying to keep you company. Every bad decision, every wrong turn, every shit choice sits next too you, prodding you in the chest. A constant and brash reminder of your imperfections, idiocy and fallibilities. And my ghosts are so large that not even crossing the streams can get rid of the fuckers.

I can't really remember the last time I was happy. I play on this for comedic purposes. My mates call me Empty Chris because I turn this negativity into laughs. There's no such thing as happiness. There's no such thing as love. We're being forced by society to chase unattainable goals because that's what's expected of us. Except when I deadpan this to my mates I'm more than half-serious.

Life is week after month after year of mundanity punctuated by fleeting moments of contentedness. And it's these moments of relative happiness that keeps you going. Surely if you're forever happy, it loses all meaning? I dunno. I just know that occasionally I get waves of happiness, and that's what keeps me going. It's like football. Football is framed by misery, and it's the occasional Rochdale away in the cup that keeps you going. And you can't trust anyone who lives their life like every day is a last minute winner on bonfire night. It's not realistic.

This is self-indulgent shite, and I apologise, but only to those reading it, which I guess isn't many. It's three years since I started falling with no one to catch me. Two years since I became dependent on chemical stimulants, and about a year and a half since that caused me to lose my job and home. And about half an hour since I listened to the fucking Kooks.

I threw away years of graft, and I've been struggling to get back on my feet ever since. I'm working a shit job I hate for fuck all money because it's all I can get. But I'm in a city I love, surrounded by mates who care for me, which goes some way to making me feel better. And things will get better, because let's be fucking honest, they can't not.

Ah well. Serves me right for digging up this thread. I should have gone with WOM's mundane thread. I fucking buzz off the mundane these days. Embrace the mundane. It makes a pleasant fucking change.

I'll regret pressing submit on this come morning...

Comment

I hope you don't, because you shouldn't. It's not often people are honest on here - if they're honest with themselves - so when people are, it hits harder.

We've all been there, or are there, or are heading there. The important thing is you won't be there forever.

Give me a shout if you're ever this way, there's a pint of something - your choice of what - waiting.

Comment

But yeah, stop listening to The fucking Kooks.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X