History of UEFA v CONMEBOL clashes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to put Brazil 1 Germany 7 into some context (difficult I know) I had a quick scan through previous world cups. Early on, Uruguay and Brazil handed out some thrashings:

Uruguay 7 Scotland 0 (1954)

Brazil 7 Sweden 1 (1950)

Brazil 6 Spain 1 (1950)

Argentina, however, were spanked 6-1 by the Czechs in 1958. In an earlier game v West Germany, "Argentina forgot to bring their change strip, and borrowed the yellow shirt of host team IFK Malmö".

The only such hammering I can recall actually watching was in 1986:

Denmark 6 Uruguay 1

So I think last night is in this lineage, if it can ever be compared to any previous match.

You really can't compare last night to Scotland being pummelled in 1954 - we were crap even back then, don't get to host big tournaments and it's about a century since we were considered a football superpower.

Brazil by comparison have been world champions 5 times and had their pants pulled down at home in a competition that seemed rigged for them to win.

Comment

I defy anyone to remember a moment from the England v Ecuador clash in 2006 without googling it. I'm not even sure it actually happened.

Comment

I'll say 3-0 England.

Or was that the 3-0 against Paraguay.

Or was that the 2-0 against Colombia.

I remember being pissed at all 3 for cowering at England like they were the 1982 Fifa World All-Star team.

Comment

Particularly Ecuador because they'd shown some power in the group stages (probably a substantially better team than the 2014 version). Those Paraguay and Colombia teams were from an era when CONMEBOL was in a slump compared to the levels it has reached this year.

Comment

Rogin o adepto de sofá wrote: I defy anyone to remember a moment from the England v Ecuador clash in 2006 without googling it. I'm not even sure it actually happened.
            Beckham's pinpoint free-kick. And that was about it.

But then Ian Duncan Smith was the manager back then.

Comment

I remember (without googling) that at one point John Terry made a bollocks of a clearance, allowing Tenorio to have a clear run in on goal, but Ashley Cole saved the day under his own bar.

Comment

satchmo76 wrote:

Argentina, however, were spanked 6-1 by the Czechs in 1958. In an earlier game v West Germany, "Argentina forgot to bring their change strip, and borrowed the yellow shirt of host team IFK Malmö".
                That was a topsy turvy group. Argentina beat Northern Ireland 3-1. But according to NI midfielder Jimmy McIlroy, the Argentinians spent a fair bit of time waving at girls in the crowd when they weren't showboating.

Comment

blameless wrote: You really can't compare last night to Scotland being pummelled in 1954 - we were crap even back then, don't get to host big tournaments and it's about a century since we were considered a football superpower.

Brazil by comparison have been world champions 5 times and had their pants pulled down at home in a competition that seemed rigged for them to win.
                  1954 was the tournament Scotland only took a squad of thirteen or fourteen to save money on travel expenses. The desire to save money did not stop a large number of SFA directors being part of the official party, alongside their wives. This was also the tournament that Scotland hadn't considered that it might be hot in the Swiss summer and so took only shirts that were more suitable for Aberdeen in January.

Comment

A scene from Uruguay 7 Scotland 0:

Check goalkeeper Fred Martin's rollneck woolen top and the Scotland defender's top (not sure who it is) in comparison with the Uruguayans as they play in 36-37 degree heat.

Comment

Maybe that can be Richard Gordon's next book.

"Scotland 54: A World Cup Non-Event."

Comment

Zebedinho Puerto do Sulinha wrote:

1954 was the tournament Scotland only took a squad of thirteen or fourteen to save money on travel expenses. The desire to save money did not stop a large number of SFA directors being part of the official party, alongside their wives.

This was also the tournament that Scotland hadn't considered that it might be hot in the Swiss summer and so took only shirts that were more suitable for Aberdeen in January.
                        And also the good old Mansfield Hotspur football boot, which was more suited to a building site than a football pitch.

I read Tommy Docherty's autobiog a few years ago. The Doc was replaced as Scotland captain shortly before the 1954 WC and so was already pissed off with the SFA selectors before the tournament started.

Their parsimonious attitude to money was highlighted by the canny offer to the players before the competition: £15 per match or keeping your Scotland jersey. They obviously knew that most players would opt to keep the shirt. It was still the age of deference on the football pitch at least.

Comment

Working...
                        X