mexiCANs! (post-mortem)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mexiCANs! (post-mortem)

Today's crop of talented Mexican youngsters are spearheaded by Man United's own, Javier 'Small Pea' Hernandez. I am looking forward to the puns that will result from that nickname (I am looking at you, James Richardson). Other than him, there's the exciting Pablo Barrera (supposedly Lazio are interested) and the somewhat disappointing Carlos Vela and Gio dos Santos. These two can still come good, have all the required talent but perhaps they lack a little bit of big match experience. Particularly, Gio had no assists nor goals to his name in this Cup. Vela injured himself but did little else when he was around (he skied a great chance against the French).

At any rate, they will be 26 or thereabouts in 4 years. Should be in the prime of their career. In defense, Hector Moreno of AZ Alkmaar looks like he is developing nicely and Maza Rodriguez is a player transformed, and has the required stature and experience to really come good in central defense in Brazil.

There are some veterans that will probably be around then too, but I really hope this is Torrado's last call. Marquez was a mixed bag in this cup, has great vision for the killer pass out of deep midfield but gives the ball away rather too easily in crucial situations. One thing that he seems unable to get beyond is a really childish need to lash out after the first setback (and we are Mexico, so he should expect setbacks). Salcido was great in the cup and I would like him to stick around. Should give us a boost in experience.

The goalkeeper question is really nagging me. This was Ochoa's cup but Aguirre chose to take him ignore him. Now we will go into the next WC cycle with a debutante at the crucial stage.

mexiCANs! (post-mortem)

I thought Salcido retired from the international team? (or did I misread the Unvision headline?)

Comment

mexiCANs! (post-mortem)

Fare thee well, Cuauhtémoc Blanco Bravo:

Comment

mexiCANs! (post-mortem)

Yep, he announced that after I wrote that post so that's disappointing. I would not imagine it is 100% though, as footballers change their mind as often as boxers.

Comment

mexiCANs! (post-mortem)

Very sorry to hear Salcido is retiring from international football as I thought he was fantastic in 2006 and almost as good in 2010.

Comment

mexiCANs! (post-mortem)

Any sense of who they are likely to name as manager?

The team could definitely benefit from some stability in that position, and a good appointment might even get Salcido to reconsider (he's only 30).

Comment

mexiCANs! (post-mortem)

Aguirre just decided to quit (everyone is relieved). His tenure specific to the second round in his two world cups cannot be called anything other than a failure. Even considering it was Argentina that beat us and of course, games hinge on a myriad of factors including bungling Italian linesmen and deflected own goals (Argentina equalizer 2006), it was still a wasted opportunity.

The guy in line seems to be Chepo de la Torre currently League champion with Toluca. He is a solid coach, and also led Chivas (all-Mexican team) to the championship a few seasons ago. I would not be surprised if he was named. Another possibility is Victor Manual Vucetich, another recent champion and real journey man coach. Coaching in mexico seems to be a carousel to be honest but he takes the cake having managed 9 teams to some success. However, there have been rumours that Bielsa might be brought. There are millions of reasons (Aguirre was one of the highest paid coaches at the WC).

Comment

mexiCANs! (post-mortem)

De la Torre strikes me as a good bet for El Tri.

He should be able to build a strong rapport with a very young team, and is someone that you can actually see staying in the job for four years. I also like Bielsa, but Mexico have had very poor luck with mercenary foreigners.

Comment

mexiCANs! (post-mortem)

It was the loss to Uruguay that did them in. I had them winning the group and going to the semis, that will be Uruguay now. I don't know why they didn't start Hernandez in that match, Franco couldn't finish and Gio is a creator more than a finisher. As much as we all love Blanco, he shouldn't be on the field for more than 20 mins.
                  By the looks of things they should make some serious noise in 2014- but you have to wonder if the globalization of the Mexican players will hurt the national team.. we'll see..

Comment

mexiCANs! (post-mortem)

Dynamo Kev wrote:
                    It was the loss to Uruguay that did them in. I had them winning the group and going to the semis, that will be Uruguay now. I don't know why they didn't start Hernandez in that match, Franco couldn't finish and Gio is a creator more than a finisher. As much as we all love Blanco, he shouldn't be on the field for more than 20 mins.
                    By the looks of things they should make some serious noise in 2014- but you have to wonder if the globalization of the Mexican players will hurt the national team.. we'll see..
                    The globalization aspect has already hurt and helped the team I think. There's a perception that the European players are automatically better than the still home-based squad. It is probably a good bet but the problem is playing time, i.e. Vela, Gio and Franco are not exactly getting massive minutes in Europe. Ricardo Osorio committed that massive blunder against Argentina after playing very very little for Stuttgart.

On the other hand, Maza Rodriguez is transformed, when he left Chivas I think PSV saw his potential rather than the finished article.

Comment

Working...
                    X