Bizarre trend in 2nd round matchups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intriguingly, the 2nd round is featuring all the "good" (ie big name) teams playing each other, while all the "bad" (ie relatively unknown) teams also play each other...

"Good" teams playing each other:

ENG vs GER
    ARG vs MEX
    SPA vs POR (probably)
    BRA vs SWITZ (probably)

"Bad" teams playing each other:

US vs GHA
    URU vs KOR
    PAR vs DEN (probably)

The only likely 2nd round match that doesn’t quite fit the pattern is HOL vs SLOV ... except it sort of does because Slovakia looked quite good vs Italy.

The consequence of these match-ups is likely to be some very surprising semi-finalists a la 2002... (S Korea and Turkey)...

Indeed. One of Uruguay, Korea, USA or Ghana must make the semi-final. Seeing as I tipped three of these as the potential dark horses, kudos to me. But the one I didn't pick was Uruguay...

Comment

I'd reckon Japan will make it, they only need a draw to advance tonight.

Fantastic matchups up and down the 8ths. There is an interesting Cono Sur vs Far East doubleheader there. I'd be happy with either Ghana or the US in the quarters.

I hope it's Spain-Portugal/Brazil-Swiss, because Spain plays down to its opposition but Brazil will blow out Switzerland. Nothing against the Swiss, I just want some good matchups in the quarters.

Comment

How on earth are the Swiss in your 'good' half there?

Comment

Not sure I understand the reasoning behind any of this. How are Denmark in the "bad" group, given that they're on their way to being humped by Japan in one of the shocks of the tournament so far?

If you thought Denmark were going to win tonight, they'd have had to be in your "good" group, surely?

Comment

henry wrote:
            Indeed. One of Uruguay, Korea, USA or Ghana must make the semi-final. Seeing as I tipped three of these as the potential dark horses, kudos to me. But the one I didn't pick was Uruguay...
            I predicted Uruguay to make the final in my work pool. You have to take risks in these kinds of pools if you want to win.

Comment

"You see the difference there, with a goalkeeper being in the right position."

David Seaman, at home somewhere, cringes and thinks "I could have been a co-commentator at this, you know".

(Edit: totally the wrong thread. But arse, I can't be bothered to change it now).

Comment

Yes, it is an interesting trend.

The other trend I've noticed is that for the first 5 groups, the team who has conceded the most number of goals is never in last place.

Comment

another oddity.. USA wins Group C though they only played with a lead for 2 mins during the entire group phase.

Comment

Only 6 out of 13 European teams got through - and we already know that there will be exactly 3 European quarter finalists.

Comment

Working...
                    X