Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

England vs Germany... again

Harald von Zimmermann wrote:
    If you really feel fancy dress is required to add to yours or anyone else's occasion then you should hand your ticket over to an actual football supporter. It's akin to waving/gurning if you see yourself on the big screen or performing a Mexican wave.
    I hate football sometimes.

Comment

Focussing on England as the UK's only reprentatives is to be expected.

However, when the BBC tries to paint certain individuals or countries as panto villains then that's when it gets grossly inappropriate - Diego Maradona's quite popular in the Celtic nations, and no-one in Wales, Scotland or Norn Iron is mortally afraid of the German national team.

(and that's without even mentioning the legions of England fans who don't appreciate the beeb's peurile "humour" and want them to concentrate on the actual, y'know, football).

Comment

Braai on Earth... wrote:
        If you really feel fancy dress is required to add to yours or anyone else's occasion then you should hand your ticket over to an actual football supporter. It's akin to waving/gurning if you see yourself on the big screen or performing a Mexican wave.
        I hate football sometimes.
        Because of me?

Comment

So you're saying that the only proper way to enjoy the game is to have one's arms crossed over one's tweed jacket whilst slowly shaking your head in disgust, but not too fast lest your flat-cap fall off?

I don't think it's akin to that at all. If dressing up helps get you properly fired-up to support your crappy team, than that's fine. It doesn't stop one from watching the game.

Why do you all call it "The Mexican Wave?" I thought that was invented at the University of Washington in the late 1970s (or so I was told).

Comment

Because of me?
            Well, because of the hair-shirted joylessness with which some "real fans" feel they have to approach it. So yeah, partly, I guess.

Comment

I hated the RAF thing, by the way, but that's because it was crass and nasty and obsessed with the fucking war, not because it was fancy dress.

Comment

Reed John wrote:
                So you're saying that the only proper way to enjoy the game is to have one's arms crossed over one's tweed jacket whilst slowly shaking your head in disgust, but not too fast lest your flat-cap fall off?

I don't think it's akin to that at all. If dressing up helps get you properly fired-up to support your crappy team, than that's fine.
                I really fail to understand why , given that you have the greatest leisure pursuit know to man i.e. watching football, anyone would need to dress up to get properly fired up and I've supported pretty crappy teams quite a bit.

The fancy dress is mostly about getting on TV anyway.

Comment

Reed John wrote:

I don't think it's akin to that at all. If dressing up helps get you properly fired-up to support your crappy team, than that's fine.
                  I really fail to understand why , given that you have the greatest leisure pursuit know to man i.e. watching football, anyone would need to dress up to get properly fired up and I've supported pretty crappy teams quite a bit.

How do you feel about people dressing up to attend rock concerts?

Comment

Reed John wrote:
                    So you're saying that the only proper way to enjoy the game is to have one's arms crossed over one's tweed jacket whilst slowly shaking your head in disgust, but not too fast lest your flat-cap fall off?)
                    That sounds like me watching Non-League.

Comment

Braai on Earth... wrote:
                      Because of me?
                      Well, because of the hair-shirted joylessness with which some "real fans" feel they have to approach it. So yeah, partly, I guess.
                      I get me plenty of joy out of football, that's why I can't understand those who feel the need to act like Colin Hunt to fully experience it.

Comment

General Rhinochet wrote:

How do you feel about people dressing up to attend rock concerts?
                        Pretty much the same but then again rock concerts aren't that much fun to begin with.

I'd differentiate between dressing up and fancy dress btw, you shouldn't come to football like a scruff either.

Don't write in to say that's hypocritical, because it's not.

Comment

I'm less of a fundamentalist than Harry on this point, but do think that Wyatt makes a very good point that not all "fancy dress" is created equal. The "aviator" example was crap on a number of different levels.

I also wonder if Wyatt's view is partially informed by fancy dress' role in cricket, where it strikes me as being more of a good thing.

Comment

Reed John wrote:

Bollocks. Loads of fans do it for the last away game of the season. And at clubs that don't have the remotest chance of getting on the telly.

I wouldn't do it myself as I'm more of a sit quietly, bite my nails and mutter how shit my team is under my breath kind of supporter, but I certainly wouldn't begrudge anyone getting up in fancy dress at the football.

Comment

So you're saying that the only proper way to enjoy the game is to have one's arms crossed over one's tweed jacket whilst slowly shaking your head in disgust, but not too fast lest your flat-cap fall off?)

That sounds like me watching Non-League. Although I prefer to stand unless it's raining heavily.
                              That's me too in many cases, except that soccer/football is in the summer here so I don't have a jacket or flat cap on. I do own several flat caps, but no tweed jacket.

I hated the RAF thing, by the way, but that's because it was crass and nasty and obsessed with the fucking war, not because it was fancy dress.
                              That connection (rather obvious, really) had not actually occurred to me. Good point.

I also liked the Italian in the Roman Centurion costume.

The English Crusaders were ok, except it would take on a nastier vibe if the opponent were Turkey, for example.

It's hard to say what the ideal American get-up would be. Perhaps George Washington in full 18th Century Continental Army regalia. Perhaps a Daniel Boon/Davy Crockett costume. Or maybe Captain America.

It's the World fucking Cup. People feel the need to dress-up more for a big occasion. Like wearing a coat and tie to a wedding.

Comment

I see the FA have told Capello they are going to wait a couple of weeks to discuss his future. Trying to work out what that means... are they hoping that will give the tabloids time to hound him out, because they can't afford to sack him? Or are the FA all off on holiday somewhere nice?
                                Another thing, is it just me or do Manchester United players really not like playing for England? You have Scholes retiring, Ferdinand choosing not to stick around and Rooney did not look at all like he wanted to be in South Africa. The culture around the squad is obviously rotten - I wonder does that have anything to do with it.

Comment

Reed John wrote:

It's the World fucking Cup. People feel the need to dress-up more for a big occasion.
                                  It's the World fucking Cup, how can the occasion be any bigger because you're in fancy dress?

Comment

Reed, no matter how many times it's pointed out that the wave didn't start in Mexico, people will still feel the need to call it "the Mexican wave."

And just to keep my record of defending it every time someone feels the need to denigrate it, you can stand and put up your arms and watch the game at the same time. It's no more distracting than people singing, which no one really seems to have a problem with. And you know what? It's a little bit of fun. If you can't see why it's kind of cool to get tens of thousands of people doing something like the wave, stay at home and enjoy the game without any of the distractions around you.

Comment

The people aren't more married or the deceased aren't more dead because you wore a suit to the wedding or funeral, respectively. It's just, you know, "a sense of occasion."

And some people just like to wear a costume and will use any excuse. Who are we to judge?

To quote my favorite line from Justified. "People are entitled to their hobbies and I'm entitled to think that those people are creepy."

Comment

I'm not sure why that's obvious. I think a bit of old-fashioned goofy twattery adds color and excitement to the game.

My favorite of these was in the 2002 Olympic hockey final. There wasa dude in full Royal Canadian Mounted Police uniform with a maple leaf painted on his face. Awesome.
                                        That is the wrongest thing I've ever read.

Comment

The people aren't more married or the deceased aren't more dead because you wore a suit to the wedding or funeral, respectively. It's just, you know, "a sense of occasion."
                                          Really, there's a huge difference between the symbolism of wearing black to say goodbye to a friend or loved one, and 'going as' something to a public event.

Dressing up - good

Fancy dress - bad

Comment

Why do you all call it "The Mexican Wave?" I thought that was invented at the University of Washington in the late 1970s (or so I was told).

It's known as a Mexican Wave because football's first exposure to it was at the 1986 world cup in Mexico - before that it was confined to US sports (which in those days weren't widely shown outside the US).

It's one of those names that's technically incorrect but has become so popular with use it's not likely to change at this late stage.

Comment

So, what should we argue about next?

Comment

I think there should be cheerleaders.

Comment

Should you do up the bottom button of your fancy dress?

Comment

Bollocks. Loads of fans do it for the last away game of the season. And at clubs that don't have the remotest chance of getting on the telly

Sheffield Utd's final away game of 2006/7 was at Villa Park and many of their supporters were in fancy dress. During the second half they were 3 nil down so decided to conga behind their goal. As they were close to the pitch the stewards and police got into an unseemly bundle with them. The sight of Fred Flintstone, various Gorillas and Scooby Doo fighting on the pitch with police is not one I'll forget in a hurry.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X