The opening ceremony

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The opening ceremony

Based on the build-up to the draw tonight, I am confident that it won't be awful. The director of the ceremony already has promised it will be only 20 minutes long. If he can avoid people impersonating zebras and lions, I'll be happy. And if there'll be a praise singer, I'll be delighted, provided he sings no praises of of the Glorious Leader of Corruption.

The build-up to the draw was not bad, apart from Angelique Kidjo lip-synching to a CD track. The history of the World Cups was done really well. The clip on South Africa's attractions was nice. The presenter was very lovely (Blatter's perving was less than dignified).

And Charlize Theron looked like she was totally horny, as if she was ready to sexually assail FIFA's Inspector Clousseau right there, right now. Or Gebreselassie. Or Beckham, Or Ntini. Though not the oddly waddling John Smit. But, ooh, the flirtations.

And props to SA for celebrating the woman of great physical substance.

The opening ceremony

If he can avoid people impersonating zebras and lions, I'll be happy.
    I'm getting a gut feeling that you're going to be let down very badly. I'm expecting the entire cast of 'Lion King - the musical' to be on show followed by the battle scene from Zulu.

Comment

The opening ceremony

See, the fools who staged the opening of the cricket world cup that rainy season overdid the wildlife angle. I hope lessons have been learnt. Real zebras and lions would be cool though.

I liked the accent on security personnel in the inserts about the sights of South Africa.

Comment

The opening ceremony

I'd pay to see Lion vs Leopard vs Blatter.

Comment

Working...
        X