Canal Hammering: Biggest Mismatches in World Cup History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canal Hammering: Biggest Mismatches in World Cup History

England v Panama is 5-0 at half-time. How many such mismatches can you recall watching live?

Hungary v El Salvador was not live in the UK but perhaps you saw it live elsewhere? Similarly West Germany versus Hair Bear Bunch tribute band in 1978

Germany v Saudi Arabia 2002, even Carsten Jancker looked like a player

Comment

Let's not forget Oleg Salenko sharing the Golden Boot almost exclusively due to Russia vs Cameroon.

Comment

If it was a cage fight I reckon Panama would win

Comment

Brazil 1 Germany 7. Not a mismatch in terms of individual skill, but teamwork and temperament were no contest.

Comment

Yes, and Brazil went 5-0 up quicker than any game I can recall before easing off. Could have had 12+

Comment

That is not how i remember that game satchmo

Comment

OK, maybe Brazil found more shape at 5-0.

Comment

Portugal 7-0 North Korea in 2010. I remember listening to this on the radio upstairs. In the time it took me to come down the stairs and switch the TV on Portugal had managed to score twice.

Comment

It's a reminder of how spoiled we are by games not being played simultaneously that most hammerings took place when ITV or BBC were showing another game. Yugoslavia v Zaire 1974, USSR v Hungary 1986, Hungary v El Salvador 1982, West Germany v Mexico 1978, Holland v Austria 1978.
                    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 24-06-2018, 13:47.

Comment

I remember New Zealand looking completely out of their depth in 1982. Although to their credit no-one really tore them apart - Scotland put 5 past them, and the Soviets 3. Everyone expected Brazil to absolutely destroy them but I think they must have treated it at a stroll because I think that only finished 2 or 3 nil.

Comment

Yes you had them trying to set up Zico for overhead kicks and to get some goals for Serginho.

Worst ever goal difference across three group games in my lifetime is either Zaire, El Salvador or Saudis.

Comment

Working...
                        X