He's European Class he is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who are the best European Players? As seen at this tournament. If the definition is that they'd get in a European Squad of 23.

3 keepers

7 defenders
    Lahm

8 midfielders

5 forwards
    Ronaldo

Just starting with my two players of the tournament so far.

I think the only english contenders worth even a thought are Hart and Cole.

Do you mean based on form in Euro 2012 alone, or who you fancy overall?

Comment

Midfielders are perhaps the easiest: Pirlo, Xavi, Iniesta, Silva, Khedira, Özil, Sneijder, Schweinsteiger.

Defenders and strikers I find harder because the quality there has been lower.

Comment

Hart and Casillas are certs for the keepers, probably Buffon also for his displays. Johnson, rather than Cole has been the best English outfield player, Gebre Selassie, Lahm, Dzagoev, Pilar, Krohn-Dehli and Jacobsen also should be in any squad of the tournament.

Comment

Buffon, Lloris, Casillas.

Lahm, Hummels, Agger, T***y, Coentrao, Boateng, Zhirkov, An interchangeable Italian

Pirlo, Modric, Xavi, Xabi Alonso, Moutinho, Sneijder, Özil, De Rossi.

Ibrahimovic, Mandzukic, Krohn-Dehli, Dzagoev, Ronaldo.

Comment

Should we not just wait to Sunday and do a Team of the Tournament?

Comment

Yes, let's.

Two match free days have sent people stir crazy.

Comment

Coentrao & Alba have been the obvious ones for me. The former in particular has been Portugal's most consistent player through the whole thing.

Comment

Steve Gerrard is currently in sixth place of the Kicker player ratings. Cassilas and Pirlo are in joint top position.

Comment

Defensive minded wrote: Steve Gerrard is currently in sixth place of the Kicker player ratings.

Comment

I will have to drop Lahm and Hummels now. Amateurs.

Comment

Mildly surprised that nobody has mentioned Balotelli yet....

He would have to be in a squad of 23 from this competition if you are genuinely going on form shown here...

Comment

Buffon, Cassilas

Lahm (everyone can have a bad match)
                          Chiellini
                          Agate
                          Agger

Pirlo
                          Xavi Alonso
                          Iniesta
                          Dzagoev

Silva
                          Ronaldo
                          Balotelli

Comment

Eggchaser wrote:
                            Originally posted by Defensive minded
                            Steve Gerrard is currently in sixth place of the Kicker player ratings.
                            His interception tackling has been excellent, maybe he's getting too old for the two-footed tackles*. Or, in general, maybe less energy is doing his game some good.

* I was always thought Paul Scholes was the patron saint of two-footed tackles.

Comment

Balotelli has actually only had one half-decent game. He scored two great goals against Germany but I thought his first touch let him down a few times. Let's see how he does against Spain.

Comment

Balotelli is very similar to Gomez and Boateng (the one who plays for Milan) in that they are more athletes than footballers. I'm surprised that Gomez gets so much stick from posters who regularly watch the Premier League. It was the first time I saw Balotelli play for 90 minutes and I was not impressed.

Comment

Balotelli can occasionally move in an intelligent way that loses defenders. He doesn't just pelt along in a straight line.

However, I do not believe he would make the Spanish team on merit except maybe in that Torres role in the last 15 mins. I'd rather have Fabregas and Silva.

Whilst I love Pirlo, I have to rate Xavi and Iniesta as better picks for player of the tournament.

Comment

UEFA Squad of the Tournament:

Goalkeepers: Gianluigi Buffon (Italy), Iker Casillas (Spain), Manuel Neuer (Germany)

Defenders: Gerard Pique (Spain), Fabio Coentrao (Portugal), Philipp Lahm (Germany), Pepe (Portugal), Sergio Ramos (Spain), Jordi Alba (Spain)

Midfielders : Daniele De Rossi (Italy), Steven Gerrard (England), Xavi (Spain), Andres Iniesta (Spain), Sami Khedira (Germany), Sergio Busquets (Spain), Mesut Ozil (Germany), Andrea Pirlo (Italy), Xabi Alonso (Spain)

Forwards : Mario Balotelli (Italy), Cesc Fabregas (Spain), Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal), Zlatan Ibrahimovoic (Sweden), David Silva (Spain)
                                    No Moutinho and no Modric.

Also don't undertand how Neuer got in ahead of Lloris.

Real lazy starfucking selection by UEFA. No surprise of course.

Comment

UEFA gave the tournament to eastern Europe but seem to not have watched any of their players here.

Comment

Working...
                                      X