X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AEB wobble

Gangster Octopus wrote: I assume that they're the Danzig Queens
    G-ding-en!

PS it seems abstract artist Vassiliy Kandinsky is the key to this new, sensitive England team. Hodgson is a fan and enjoys visiting galleries all over the World.

Whereas Capello owns the largest private collection of the Blue-Period Bauhauser. Which doesn't come cheap.

Comment

AEB wobble

Best and Charlton both played in South Africa. I trust Sir Bobby's knighthood and seat on the board should be under threat.

Comment

AEB wobble

When I was last in Lvov I met the large comedy actress Bella Lemberg.

Comment

AEB wobble

hof, I'm talking about English people who sort-of want England to win, but always want to find a reason not to. There's a few on this thread

Comment

AEB wobble

It's amazing what a big issue Roy's time in South Africa has become since he became England manager. I don't recall it ever being mentioned throughout the rest of his managerial career.

Comment

AEB wobble

Did Roy break any laws or rules by being in South Africa?

Comment

AEB wobble

I know that lots of people went to south africa. But they're generally pretty sorry about it, claiming ignorance at the time, but crucially they aren't using the same excuses to justify decisions they are making 40 years later.

here are his quotes from the press conference.

"I went to play there in 1973 and 1974.

"I've got to admit I was young at the time, and went there purely for football reasons. I was desperate to play football on a full-time basis.

"I didn't give the political system much thought. It did not play any part in my decision.

"It's slightly unfair to go back 40 years to try and criticise a decision I made for footballing reasons.

"I and other guys playing in the league there were anti-Apartheid, but there's not much we could have done of it. We all thought it was an evil regime."

You see, not only was he aware of the nature of what was going on around him, he still doesn't think it was wrong, because he made his decision for purely footballing reasons, and doesn't think that it is fair that he should be criticized for making the decision.

He is still making the assumption that political considerations are not important, and that 'footballing reasons' are all that matters. But this form of 'neutrality' is a very clear and contentious political position.

We've also seen him use that phrase 'footballing reasons' very recently to justify something that will very probably blow up in his face.

[i]It's amazing what a big issue Roy's time in South Africa has become since he became England manager. I don't recall it ever being mentioned throughout the rest of his managerial career.

Because almost no-one know about it. Everyone thought that he had started out in scandanavia, but once he was appointed england manager, someone from south africa wrote a blog post about how roy hodgson used to coach him back in the seventies. Roy never mentioned it at all

Comment

AEB wobble

Sean of the Szczed wrote: It's amazing what a big issue Roy's time in South Africa has become since he became England manager.
                  It's idiotic. Roy played in South Africa during apartheid, so what? Argentina hosted the World Cup when their junta was offing people left, right and centre. Should we hold that against Archie Gemmill?

Professional athletes are not politicians are should not have to account for the misdeeds of governments.

Comment

AEB wobble

Jesus wept.

Comment

AEB wobble

It was believed that Roy went out there just to play football, but since becoming England manager, it has since been revealed that he spent his spare time as a guard on Robben Island and personally spat in Nelson's dinner every day.

Comment

AEB wobble

no-one knew that he went out there until he was england manager. It's something that he was ashamed of and hid.

Comment

AEB wobble

That info has always been out there, it's just nobody made anything of it til now. Is he supposed to mention it at every turn? I'd be more concerned if he wasn't ashamed of it.

Comment

AEB wobble

Sean of the Szczed wrote: That info has always been out there, it's just nobody made anything of it til now. Is he supposed to mention it at every turn? I'd be more concerned if he wasn't ashamed of it.
                            It's basically ammunition for Hodgson's detractors and the AEB.

As mentioned, Sir Bobby Charlton went there at end of his career, money presumably being an attraction. He has received every award under the sun and has sat on united's board. Curiously nothing is made of it with him.

Comment

AEB wobble

There's a glaring contradiction between "I didn't give the political system much thought" and "I and other guys playing in the league there were anti-Apartheid" so I'm inclined to believe the former but don't think thoughtlessness in a footballer is particularly newsworthy 40 years later.

Comment

AEB wobble

The Awesome Berbaslug!!! wrote: no-one knew that he went out there until he was england manager. It's something that he was ashamed of and hid.
                                Are you going to bring this up with G-Man, that his family lived and worked there during apartheid, and that it's something he should be ashamed of?

Comment

AEB wobble

PPV, G-man's circumstances are different to Hodgson.

Since it his personal family business, I don't think it would be right for me to say.

Comment

AEB wobble

What, G-Man broke the sporting boycott too? ;-)

Comment

AEB wobble

I was thinking before the penalties that I would have been in Geneva for the final and praising the Good Lord for this small gesture of mercy as I really thought England were going to do a Chelsea.

My reaction tonigh, a bit of piss-taking on FB and that's it, I was concerned about getting my pizza on the way back from a hike than badmind England.

Hodgson worked in Switzerland too, another bad mark against him no doubt...

Comment

AEB wobble

There's a glaring contradiction between "I didn't give the political system much thought" and "I and other guys playing in the league there were anti-Apartheid"
                                        Not necessarily. "I didn't give the political system much thought (when I signed a contract to go to South Africa)...(but after I got there and saw how things were - and I was by then under contract) I and other guys playing in the league there were anti-Apartheid". I'm not saying any more than it's a possible reading.

Comment

AEB wobble

well, i can't say i was upset to see england lose. and i thought they didn't seem particularly upset either.

Comment

AEB wobble

Sean of the Szczed wrote: Be afraid AEB, last night I dreamt that England won the final. Then again in my dream they played France in the final and I was driving a tractor around a multi-storey pub, so it probably means nothing.
                                            I mean, seriously, I don't even go in pubs.
                                            Last night I had a dream England could string three passes together, but I had consumed a heroic amount of both psilocybin and cheese.

England lose = football wins. Everyone deep down knows this to be true - and it has been for a very long time.

Comment

Working...
                                            X