Will BBC and ITV Do Better This Time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Woeful in 2010, will they have listened to viewer feedback? Will any of the co-commentators actually want to go to Kiev?

satchmo76 wrote:
    Will any of the co-commentators actually want to go to Kiev?
    errr... why wouldn't they?

Comment

Because they didn't seem happy to be in South Africa. Anything beyond the EU is too far from the golf course for Lawro & co.

Comment

Do ITV have to show any of this? That's a pity.

The beeb show 32 matches during a World Cup finals, there's only 31 games in the whole of Euro 2012, can't they just do them all?

Comment

Don't want to panic anyone, but according to this document on the UEFA website, the TV rights in the UK haven't been sold to any organisation yet.

Comment

longeared wrote:
            Don't want to panic anyone, but according to this document on the UEFA website, the TV rights in the UK haven't been sold to any organisation yet.
            Right! Let's have a whip-round, quick!

Has anyone got a video camera, a spare coffee table and a couple of chairs?

Comment

Yes, yes, and yes. I've even got an 11-year-old Renault Megane we could use to ferry the lot around Eastern Europe to get to each game, depending on availability of unleaded petrol out there.

Could we set our trestle table up pitchside at each game, like ITV seem to get to do? I'd even fetch an old subbuteo playing cloth and some teams to help our main pundit analyse the games (although I've only got England circa 1982, Brazil and Liverpool, so any games involving teams not wearing white, yellow or red might be limited)

Comment

Come on, this the premier [strike]drinking[/strike] thinking supporters' talking shop. Surely, there is some dodgy channel that needs summarisers?

We must be able to get the US gig?

Comment

UEFA is asking for 70 million quid and that's way over the Beeb's current budget. That would leave ITV with a clear run but would they want all the games? I could see ITV buying the rights but then selling some games to the Beeb, i.e. ITV get all England, Spain and Eire games.

Comment

There isn't a risk it could all go to Sky, is there?

I've only got Freeview. I'll be gutted if I don't get to see many games!

Comment

evilC wrote:
                      There isn't a risk it could all go to Sky, is there?

I've only got Freeview. I'll be gutted if I don't get to see many games!
                      Euros are Category A listed, so they can only be shown on the five OTA networks.

The BBC aren't great, but are just stodgy and somewhat lazy. ITV are far more jingoistic, I was actively yelling at the TV when Chiles presented that disgraceful video that basically told America to fuck off and play baseball before the USA-England game. Even my mates who were giving me some playful stick about being a Yank and chucking American footballs at me understood why I was offended.

Comment

Rogin, veranda chair fan wrote:
                        Yes, yes, and yes. I've even got an 11-year-old Renault Megane we could use to ferry the lot around Eastern Europe to get to each game, depending on availability of unleaded petrol out there.
                        No sadly, over here we all run our cars on a mixture of cabbage juice and industrial pollutants we find lying around.

Comment

ad hoc wrote:
                          Rogin, veranda chair fan wrote:
                          No sadly, over here we all run our cars on a mixture of cabbage juice and industrial pollutants we find lying around.
                          Strange - when I consume cabbage, the result is often classed as an... etc, etc.

Comment

Don't forget, one of our number is a celebrated football commentator/presenter, so we could use him. Sadly, as he's Welsh, not many of us could understand him...

Comment

In the last WC, there was only one live game a day shown on terrestial TV in Italy. The rest on Sky.

Comment

Don't forget, one of our number is a celebrated football commentator/presenter, so we could use him. Sadly, as he's Welsh, not many of us could understand him...
                                Indeed, neither can us Welsh

In the last WC, there was only one live game a day shown on terrestial TV in Italy. The rest on Sky.
                                What an uncivilised barbaric country

Comment

Bored of Education wrote:
                                  Italy.
                                  There y'go.

Comment

I've noticed a slight improvement in Hansen of late when I've watched MOTD. Not as good as he was 10-15 years ago, but an improvement on 3-4 years ago where all he ever said was 'pace, power, great feet, good in the air, good passer' etc, about anybody that had played well that weekend. Then again maybe that's just because he looks good in comparison to Alan Shearer who offers absolutely no insight whatsoever. Lee Dixon is probably the best pundit the BBC have available to them at the moment, and Hansen ups his game when they're on together.

Comment

Bored of Education wrote:
                                      Italy.

There y'go.
                                      Good grief, no, I am an Italophile, despite anything they throw at me to put me off. Funnily enough, the only thing that I have never embraced as greatly as others is Italian football

Comment

Gawd, these tournament threads suddenly appearing don't half throw me. I thought this was about the Xmas telly schedules.

Comment

ooh aah wrote:
                                          I've noticed a slight improvement in Hansen of late when I've watched MOTD. Not as good as he was 10-15 years ago, but an improvement on 3-4 years ago where all he ever said was 'pace, power, great feet, good in the air, good passer' etc, about anybody that had played well that weekend. Then again maybe that's just because he looks good in comparison to Alan Shearer who offers absolutely no insight whatsoever. Lee Dixon is probably the best pundit the BBC have available to them at the moment, and Hansen ups his game when they're on together.
                                          Yes, that's true. The greater level of decent analysis on MotD2 (despite the woeful attempted "unconventional" "comedy" trappings of the show) particularly by Dixon appear to have forced a slight raising of the punditry game across the strand.

Comment

Things will improve if Souness is in the analyst's chair, during his RTÉ stint, he was acerbically clinical in trading insights with the Three Wise Men, likewise Hamann made an enterprising debut last June, so he could be worth a shout (bad career choices notwithstanding).

Comment

I'm hoping someone has the nous to employ Joey Barton as a regular pundit for the duration.

Another guest appearance or two for Danny Baker would be most welcome, too.

Comment

Working...
                                              X