Tiger to save Australian golf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

According to Tiger Woods, Melbourne's sandbelt courses are the best in the world although not so great that he's a regular visitor or that he'll come here without some massive financial inducement.

It's just been announced that Tiger will play in this year's Australian Masters at Kingston Heath, generally regarded as Australia's second best course after Royal Melbourne, and one of the top 30 in the world. Tiger is to be paid an appearance fee of $4.5m to compete in a tournament which last year had a first place prize of $270k.

Australian golf is in terrible shape despite the large number of Australians in the top 100. The public seem to be completely disinterested in anybody who isn't Greg Norman; attendances at golf tournaments are embarrassing with few of the top Australians even bothering to come home for the big events; tv ratings, even for the majors, are awful; and golf courses are almost dragging people off the streets to try and get memberships.

Then there's the drought. Many of the public courses I play are in a shocking state with the only green on the course being the greens themselves – fairways are brown or yellow and rock hard. Of course, it's different at the elite sandbelt courses - these championship courses get exemptions from water restrictions (Royal Melbourne is to get a huge extra allocation of water for the President's Cup in 2011 something which has proved to be a PR disaster when kids can't even get to play on their school ovals or complete their sporting leagues). Late last year, I was lucky enough to play Royal Melbourne – I was stunned at how lush and green it was - I'd forgotten golf courses could look like that. It costs thousands to be a member of Royal Melbourne and a few hundred for a round (I was there free on a work related charity day). The public reaction to Tiger's fee, half of which will be paid by the Victorian taxpayer, has already been very negative. It will be interesting to see how much the admision fee is for the event. Last year's special star attraction was John Daly who played in all 3 of the big events on the Australian tour, missed the cut 3 times and smashed a spectator's camera against a tree. At least Tiger should be there for the full 4 days.

After the second round yesterday, Tiger was at 10 under, 3 strokes clear of the field. Some were suggesting this was a poor reflection on Australian golfers and even Australian golf courses. Sportsbet.com announced they were paying out on a Tiger victory half way through the event. Tonight, however, Tiger is only joint leader with Greg Chalmers and James Nitties. He won't even be playing in the final pairing tomorrow.

Comment

The bookies got it right - Tiger's first win on Australian soil by 2 shots from Greg Chalmers.

Now we need to wait and see if this has any positive impact on Australian golf. David Beckham's visit to Sydney did nothing for soccer and it will be no great surprise if this is just a one-off and everybody will lose interest in golf again.

Comment

Did Greg Norman not have an affect?

Comment

They're still relying on Norman ahead of any of the current mob. He was supposed to be the big drawcard at the Australian Open next month in Sydney but he's pulled out injured. The organisers are desperately trying to find a replacement because they know nobody will turn up to see Geoff Ogilvy or Adam Scott.

Comment

You've made it sound like Australian golf is a mess. Is there no grass-roots love for the game? Do young people play much? Is it too pricey, or has the drought ruined the quality of the course that the average guy can afford?

Comment

Fred Couples is Norman's replacement, apparently.

The thing is, there's so many things to do here, that a sport that requires basically a whole day to play puts a lot of people off.

I used to play every weekend, but only in the Summer, as I couldn't justify golf and football in the Winter, having kids to take to their own sport on the weekend.

Eventually, I just got sick of every Sunday being blown away by trudging around a course. And I was shit.

In answer to WOM's question, many courses have access to bore water, so the drought has not really affected them. The course where I was a member for many years is still very green, with no obvious negative affects of the water shortage.

Comment

Golf's tv ratings have fallen by more than half since The Greg Norman Years and participation has dropped by nearly 30% in the last 10 years although, according to the Australian Sports Commission, golf is still the 8th most played sport in Australia. The drought has played a major part in the slump in rural areas and on public courses. The course nearest to my house closed in May. The one nearest to my work was so rock hard and brown last summer I haven't been back. Of course, golf is not the only sport affected by the drought (my son's cricket club are now playing their home games in a different suburb and the soccer season gets shorter every year) but it's surely the worst affected.

In 2006, Channel Ten announced that they would not broadcast the US Open because ratings had been falling for years and the 2006 US Masters figures had been disastrous. As luck would have it, Geoff Ogilvy won it. Ten had to hastily rejig their schedule to cover the last few holes when they realised what was happening.

Luring Woods here was the latest of several attempts to kick start the sport. Last year, John Daly played all 3 of Australia's big golf tournaments (Masters, PGA, Open) and missed the cut in all 3 as well as smashing a spectator's camera along the way. The Australian Open also introduced a party hole with a bar and a dj. It backfired disastrously when a drunken spectator heckled Robert Allenby about his mother who was dying of cancer. Allenby is refusing to play this year although the part hole has been scrapped.

Comment

Working...
                X