No announcement yet.

GAA 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That was something,thought Galway should have looked to hold possession when they got the late sideline cut but fair play to Clare,they never gave up

Comment

Hurling, with this Championship you are really spoiling us! Limerick lead 1-12 to 0-14 at HT.

Comment

Unbelievably, extra-time again! Limerick were six points down with 10 minutes left, then went ahead, before Cork scored a levelled to make it 1-27 apiece.

Comment

Superb comeback by Limerick,6 points down with 10 minutes to go they end 1.27 each and it's extra time

Comment

Limerick get the chance to win their first All-Ireland since 1973, after overpowering a tired Cork by 3-32 to 2-31 in extra time.

Comment

The Game is a new three-part documentary on hurling, just starting on RTE - may well be on the RTE Player if you want to watch from abroad.

Comment

Just watched episode one,well worth a look

Comment

Super 8s Group 1: Kerry v Kildare, Galway v Monaghan

For the first time in a Championship match, Kildare have absolutely nothing to play for, and at a venue where Kerry last lost in 1995. That said, Kerry have both pride and reputations to play for, and nothing less than the required six-point win will be acceptable to supporters. A draw would suit both Galway and Monaghan, and may well occur in the dying minutes, but before that Galway must stay honest in order to avoid Dublin in the semis.

Group 2: Dublin v Roscommon, Donegal v Roscommon

The only item of interest in Croke Park will be whether Dublin beat whatever handicap is set by the bookies, but the Ulster derby is effectively an old-school quarter-final. Ballybofey is a Killarney-style fortress for Donegal, and that may suffice to ensure their progression.

Hurling SF Replay - Galway v Clare:

The nectar and ambrosia of the hurling championship provides an unexpected second helping on Sunday, and while Joe Canning is expected to return for Galway, Gearóid McInerney may well miss out. The Banner might be thus hoping to capitalise, but conventional wisdom suggests that a team only gets one opportunity to surprise reigning champions.

Comment

Galway seem to have accepted defeat against Monaghan so it looks like curtains for Kerry,even though they're giving Kildare a hiding in the other game

Comment

Rather predictably, Fitzmaurice has resigned after tonight's result - his provincial record was impeccable, and he has to be credited for giving youth its fling, but his reversion to defensive type in crucial games for increasingly diminished results ultimately proved his undoing.

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
                        Limerick get the chance to win their first All-Ireland since 1973, after overpowering a tired Cork by 3-32 to 2-31 in extra time.
                        this extra time is a cod

Comment

Football semi-finals this weekend,with GALWAY hurlers already in the final their footballers will be looking to pull off a rare Hurling/Football double (Cork in the late 80s the only ones in living memory to manage it, however they first have to get past DUBLIN,who are going for 4 all Ireland titles in a row,itself a rare feat.
                          The Dubs rested half a dozen players last week and still brushed Roscommon aside while Galway lost weakly to Monaghan,they'll be better this week but I still think it's Dublin by 4 or 5 points.
                          In the other game it's a love or hate them Ulster battle between MONAGHAN and TYRONE, the former have been threatening a breakthrough for the last few years and have in Rory Beggan not only the best goalkeeper by a mile but also someone who can pop 50 metre frees over the bar in his sleep,captain Conor Mc Manus is a scorer with a Salah type record and they've an enthusiastic young team around them,however Mickey Hartes Tyrone side have been there,done that. I literally can't call this but "gun to my head " I'd go for Tyrone by the minimum

Comment

I was at the Dublin Galway game yesterday, and was on the Hill. I've got to say it was an underwhelming experience. The Dublin Gaelic football team themselves are far more impressive than a probable four in a row would suggest. But the fucking fans on the hill, jesus christ. The most impressive thing about Dublin is the level of tactical sophistication, and how they are essentially applying the barca-Ajax model to gaelic football, where they use players in relatively fixed positions to make the pitch big when they are in possession, then break from those positions in preplanned ways. Rather than shooting when they get the opportunity they keep moving the ball to a position where they can't really miss, and drag the opposition all over the place. This eventually exhausts the opposition and at some point in the second half, dublin hammer over seven or eight unanswered points and cruise to victory.

The fans fucking hate this, right up until the point where Dublin pull away in the second half. all through the first half, the shouts from around me were for "route one" or "shoot", or Get Stuck In. Completely ignoring that Galway were doing everything that the Dublin fans wanted their players to do, and were missing about three quarters of their shots, and were starting to wilt. There is a real sense that the moment that this method of play doesn't work once, these people will descend on the manager with knives. We moved to behind the goal for the second half, and there was a father and his daughter standing behind us, and the father stood there beaming beatifically while his daughter belied her years, by turning in a performance that could only be described as angry-triumphalistic-andy-Tate.

There wasn't any sense that these people were enjoying themselves, and that they get enjoyment out of playing really well, and winning. It's the sort of hardened entitlement borne of the need for your team to win, which seems to characterize a lot of fans of big premier league clubs. I'm sure that there were plenty of people there who were happy with how things were going, but they were keeping it to themselves. And a lot of the time the place was like a morgue. There were a hell of a lot of empty seats scattered around the stadium. There was also a brief chant of I'd rather be a "paki" than a Mulla (?) which i think is an abusive term for a country person which died a quick death of disapproval. And I've got to say that really didn't impress me very much. Aside from the racism of the chant, there's nothing worse than being patronized by someone you think is a moron.

So overall impressions. Dublin football team, amazing. Dublin hardcore fans on hill 16, shite. also Terracing is severely overrated.
                            Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 12-08-2018, 12:26.

Comment

Every well supported team gets a lot of entitled dickheads,you'd hear the same in Old Trafford or the Nou Camp,you should hear the gobshites behind us,and as season ticket holders we can't move!
                              On the pitch I thought Galway did well up to a point and if they were more accurate in their shooting in the first half (missed penalty,two missed frees and a couple from play) they might have set Dublin a more serious test than they did. As it was,Dublin moved up through the gears between the 50th and 60th minutes and strangled the life out of Galway ,but they're a decent side with a good under age structure and will be back again

Comment

As predicted Tyrone pip Monaghan by a point,disappointing game with some strange refereeing decisions (soft frees) but that's football,personally biased but gutted for Monaghan

Comment

Every well supported team gets a lot of entitled dickheads,you'd hear the same in Old Trafford or the Nou Camp,you should hear the gobshites behind us,and as season ticket holders we can't move!

I think that was my point. It was really weird. They've jumped straight to the end stage. Don't get me wrong, I can remember how insufferable Kerry people could be,, but that is kind of different. it's about appeasing an anger, rather than enjoying a victory. I wonder did kilkenny people get like this under cody? I don't know if they did.

Comment

That’s not a very Fair View, Berbaslug

Comment

oh haha. Speaking of which, you know he's the worst.

Comment

Believe me,when we fall,there'll be 31 counties waiting to feast on our corpse

Comment

in fairness that's the way it was for 30 years more or less, until this whole recent period started. That said, Kilkenny didn't attract this animus and their reign went on for fucking ever.
                                          Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 13-08-2018, 14:25.

Comment

Yeah but people like Kilkenny,it's great for a weekend,Dublin is Ireland's dark star and most people north of the Esker Riada think a Hurley is for playing cowboys with

Comment

hmm. I don't know if that is it. The closer you get to involvement in the actual Dublin team the more reasonable, and sensible the people involved become. I don't think that anyone has much of a real problem with dublin players or management. (Apart from Diarmuid Connolly, who everyone thinks is kept out of Jail by his jersey). It's that there's a culture of arseholery among some of the Dublin fans.

Comment

All-Ireland Hurling Final: Galway v Limerick

The annual GAA deciders are about the only sporting showpieces remaining that one can say retain a sense of occasion - with ample televised build-up on the Saturday, and the minor finals also adding to the atmosphere. Limerick are a hurling anomaly - still numbered among the élite despite not winning Liam since 1973, and their previous triumph occurring in 1940, but their loyal support remain optimistic of success this weekend. By contrast, Galway have swung from underdogs to alpha males in the course of 12 months, and with a full deck to select from, they are the warmest of favourites to retain their title, in a neat symmetry with events 30 years previous.

Comment

It's always good when none of the holy trinity (Cork,Tipperary and Kilkenny) aren't involved and I have friends in both camps. Unfortunately for Limerick I think this Galway side will be around for a while,I think Limerick could be in danger of being this decade's Waterford,exciting and everyone's favourite other side but never quite getting over the line

Comment

Ht in the hurling final,underdogs Limerick lead by four points against Galway 1.10 to 0.09,scrappy game notable for the amount of wides and fouls more than anything else,hopefully it comes alive in the second half

Comment

Working...
                                                    X