X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brucie tribute:
    https://twitter.com/RossGibson1992/status/901073605265690624

Comment

Just turned on. Looks much better from the West Indies. I like the shape that Gabriel bowls, inducking very full length. Strangely, he took out his third slip for an extra cover fieldsman, so I guess he's not completely confident. Legspinner now coming on.

Comment

Even Boycott is recommending Hales, now. I'd stick with Stoneman for now, but Malan and Wesley, I'm not sure.

Stokes is sensational isn't he – he has the capacity to be as good as Petersen with the bat, and pretty decent with the ball.

Comment

Stokes is having a good year. Maybe the key man for the Ashes (if England win this one, put him in mothballs for the rest of the season)

Comment

I cursed Gabriel. Dropped an absolute sitter off Stokes when he was on 98.

But came on to bowl and got him first ball.

Comment

Gabriel has a sitter dropped by the keeper (who's taken a couple of decent catches), and looks incredibly pissed off.

Couple of balls later, a wonderful yorker to bowl Broad.

Comment

Are West Indies going to want to start their reply in the fading light?

Comment

Starting they are.

Anderson really wobbled the new nut about there.

Comment

Go on umpires, take them off for the light and give us an extra eight overs tomorrow.

Comment

I can't believe that TRJ isn't playing. I understand Woakes coming in but wouldn't it have been better to keep him playing as a newbie to the test scene and rest one of Broad or Anderson. The WIs won't be they challenge that Australia will be.

Comment

Broad and Anderson were both very vocal about playing this entire series, and I guess they won't want to argue with them.

Good day for the West Indies, and for the series in general. Bad day for England's top 5, obviously. I can see them taking these three to Australia simply because they've run out of time to find anyone else. Maybe Hales for the reasons stated above, but it's really getting to the point where the barrel is being thoroughly scraped. It doesn't reflect well at all on the way the ECB is going about nurturing players for international cricket.

Comment

Excellent bowling by the West Indies in the circumstances, but I don't fancy their batsmen to reach 175. Hope I'm proved wrong.

This is where Chanderpaul could have made a difference.

Comment

West Indies are slightly ahead here and now should really be targeting to bat all day tomorrow, the weather sounds as if it will be more favourable in that there's sunshine forecast rather than the overcast muggy turn-round-corners days we've had up here this week. In reality they'll probably be rolled over for 150 and then England will pick their way to 140-3 by the close.

Comment

So much for the all day sunshine forecast, the floodlights are on and there was a light shower a few minutes ago. Broad is bowling a right load of dross.

Comment

Jimmy has proper Test figures of 12-6-10-3.

Comment

Sun out now. Amused by the way the PA fella keeps referring to this break as the "luncheon interval"

Comment

There's a lady wearing a top with the message "what lasts longer than a West Indies innings?" Bet she feels a bit daft.

Comment

Brathwaite scored 50% of his runs off short of a length, Hope 54% off full length so far.

Comment

WI now favourites although batting 4th will be tricky. England very poor in the second Tests of both series, with two individual exceptions here from Jimmy and Stokes, even if they turn this around. No idea why.

Comment

So what's behind Sky's insistence on using 'Windies' all the time? Nick Knight even corrected himself on air yesterday when an inadvertent 'West Indies' slipped out. It's not consistent though - the Sky Sports website uses West Indies, the Sky News site uses Windies.

Personally I've always associated that term with a slightly derogatory attitude (I think a childhood association) and certainly rather condescending. What is wrong with West Indies?

Anyway, delighted that Brathwaite and Hope were able to continue the good work today. Now people* can stop talking about how this is the worst team ever.

* In general**, not on this thread specifically
                                          ** Or possibly just Boycott, G

Comment

As mentioned earlier in the thread, Windies is now the official term. It's bollocks.

Though West Indies is a bit historically iffy too, I suppose.

Comment

Oh, so it's a marketing thing. Well, those are always patronising and unnecessary.

Comment

Scoreboard and PA announcer both referred to them as "Windies" and it's also on their shirts.

Enjoyable day anyway, nice to see a contest. Hope in particular batted well, Brathwaite had a mix of nice shots and a few footwork-free chops to the boundary. England bowled poorly, Anderson excepted. Broad improved as the day went on, Stokes was quick but largely failed to build pressure with short balls, Woakes didn't look fully fit, Moeen bowled too many loose ones. He had the final over, there were close fielders either side, the crowd gave him a big "wooooooah" build up for the last ball, and he delivered a rank long hop that got clattered to the boundary. Could still see any result, even a draw if England bat long second knock.

Crowd seemed more subdued than some years, there were the usual Mexican wave and the inevitable beer snake, one of which had a blow up doll astride it which I guess didn't appear on the telly. Yorkshire have had a rule for years about only being allowed to bring in (non alcoholic) drinks if they are in sealed bottles. This year, without announcement, they changed it to a maximum of one litre per person. The folk next to me in the queue were having their 1.5l bottle of water confiscated. The member of staff searching my bag entirely failed to notice my identical 1.5l bottle as it happened to be smothered by my copy of Private Eye. It is reassuring to know G4S are keeping us all safe in these difficult times.

Fair chance I might get to go again on Monday, which would be a bonus.

Comment

They used to be called "the West Indians" by Wisden back in the day. See also the Major's use of the term in an outrageously racist way in Fawlty Towers (does that scene get cut in repeats now?). But really there's no totally non-dodgy way to refer to a construct that comes from imperialism and can't be repackaged out of that origin easily unless you invent some totally artificial term, like the Maroons (after the caps), which would have the edge of referring to rebel slaves:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamaican_Maroons

Meanwhile England must be relieved they didn't rest Anderson, otherwise this would be a lost cause by now.

Comment

The use of Windies is highly acceptable compared to whoever decided to call the Trinidad and Tobago T20 franchise "Trinbago"

Comment

Working...
                                                    X