No announcement yet.

Baseball cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've started a blog about my Tony Gwynn baseball card project. If anyone wants the link, drop me a message.

Comment

I used the Trading Card Database to catalogue my Tony Gwynn cards and discovered I had a double in my binder. (Grrrr!) My running total is now 212 cards. So far I have posted 45 on my blog.

Comment

Got a Tony Gwynn card today I didn't recognise at all. Worked out it must be from about 93 and tracked it down on TCDb. It was produced by Sports Collector Digest magazine. That was a fun few minutes.

Comment

My blog is a month old today

Comment

A classic Padre card for you

https://twitter.com/fergieajenkins/status/1272193067269922817

Comment

COOL... never seen that one. A high number too.

The 73 Topps set was far stylish than the 72 or 74 designs.

Patrick Thistle - love yer TG blog, it makes me realize I got out of card collecting at the right time, can't believe how many outfits were/are putting out series the last 20 years or so.

Comment

Thanks Cal Alamein - card number 100 got blogged today.

A chap who deals in a lot of cards has sourced several hundred for me to go through so I might get to my target after all

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                  My blog is a month old today
                  What’s the link to the blog?

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

What’s the link to the blog?
                    PM sent

Comment

Upper Deck made cards back on the 90s that you were supposed to turn onto bobbleheads. As I've acquired a second one, here's one of them popped and folded.

Comment

I've never seen one of those and don't really know how to react

Comment

I put the flat one in a blog post last week I think

Comment

You know I went to the same high school as Tony Gwynn, right?

Comment

That looks like one of these weird Catalan defecating nativity figures.

Comment

How do you know what cards are worth what?

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbo McGinnis View Post
                                  How do you know what cards are worth what?
                                  Back when I collected, there was a monthly catalog listing that was published called Beckett. I'm guessing it's more advanced than a monthly update now.

Comment

It's a mini-empire now, with "price guides" that seek to both describe and set the "market", in much the way that stamp catalogues did back in the day. They have on-line versions and an app as well.

Sample page

Comment

Originally posted by Incandenza View Post
                                      You know I went to the same high school as Tony Gwynn, right?
                                      No I did not. Were you a contemporary of his?

Comment

How much is too much to spend on baseball cards? I got sent a box from a chap who deals a lot of cards on the basis that any I didn't want I could send back. I keep finding foil variants and other oddities.

Comment

This is a question for any kind of collection.

My answer has always been "up to the portion of one's disposable income as one (and one's family) is comfortable with". It is a form of entertainment, like going to the pub, cinema or a football match, or buying a book that you want to have around to dip into.

The thing to avoid is viewing it as an "investment".

Comment

Oh yeah I'm not buying to invest. That's just a step up from gambling. Basically if I buy all the ones I want then it's over ?100 and I've not spent that in one shout before. It will mean I've smashed my 394 target though.

Comment

That should be a pound sign not a question mark

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post

No I did not. Were you a contemporary of his?
                                                No. I was a contemporary of Chase Utley, though, who was our other most famous baseball player (my school specialized in American football).

Comment

Wow. That's 2 very good alumni there.

Comment

Some multi-generational awesomeness for a Friday

https://twitter.com/DickAllen_15/status/1276519235280351232

Comment

Working...
                                                    X